Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to set your pilot screw adjustment.

How to set your PILOT SCREW (fuel screw)

This is my prefered method of finding the proper setting for the pilot screw (aka fuel screw). This method can also indicate if your pilot jet is too big or too small. Towards the bottom is an explination about the difference between fuel screws and air screws.

You'll need to be able to access the fuel screw while the engine is running. This can be quite difficult on many carbs. FCRs have aftermarket fuel screws that are longer which helps. On a stock 400EX carb (and many others) I use a 90 degree screwdriver. I bit the bullet and bought this one from MotionPro. It works well but I'm sure there are others available. If you're lucky, your fuel screw is easily reached with a normal screw driver.

Here's a couple examples of aftermarket FCR fuel screws:

OK. On to the procedure!

1) Warm up the engine to full operating temp.

2) Turn up your idle a few hundred RPM using the throttle stop screw (basically you want a fast idle). This will make it easier to hear small changes in RPM. Watch for overheating--pointing a big shop fan at your engine will help it from getting too hot during the fast idling. The whole procedure shouldn't take too long though.

Each time you change the screw setting 1/4 or 1/2 turn or so, wait about 5 seconds to let the idle speed normalize. It usually take the carb and engine a moment to react to the change.

3) Turn the fuel screw IN until the idle starts to drop and miss. The engine should die if you bottom out the screw. Your pilot jet is too big if it doesn't die when the screw is bottomed out--it should die before it gets that far in.

4) Then begin turning the fuel screw OUT. The idle should peak and become smooth. Keep going and look for the idle to begin to drop/miss again.

5) The goal is to find the setting that provides the highest and smoothest idle. If it's unclear exactly were that point is then set to the midpoint between step #3 and step #4. For example, if the idle starts to drop at 1 turn out and starts to drop at 2 1/2 turns out then 1 3/4 of a turn out should be the correct setting.

If the peak/smoothest RPM is reached somewhere between 1-3 turns then your pilot jet is correct (the 1-3 turns applies to most carb types). If you end up less than 1 turn out then your pilot jet is too big and you need a smaller one. If you end up more than three turns out or the fuel screw seems to make little difference as you continue turning it out than you need to go up (bigger) on your pilot jet.

To re-emphisize: If the idle never drops when you're turning the fuel screw in, you need a smaller pilot jet. If the idle never drops when you're turning the fuel screw out, you need a bigger pilot jet.

Typical fuel screw settings are in the 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 range.

6) Once you've got the fuel screw set, re-adjust your throttle stop screw (idle screw) to an appropriate idle speed.

And that's it! Your pilot circuit is now VERY close to ideal. From here you can experiment with how small adjustments affect low-end (i.e. small throttle openings) response and make adjustments for weather. The hardest part is usually gaining access to the screw while the engine is running. Also, you may really have to listen carefully to detect the rpm changes in the idle. 100 or 200 rpm differences can be tough to detect when the change happens over several seconds.

And lastely, a little bit about the difference between fuel screws and air screws:

Two stoke carbs normally have air screws and four stroke carbs normally have fuel screws. You can tell if a carb has an air screw or a fuel screw by it's location on the carb. An air screw will be on the intake side of the carb while a fuel screw will be on the engine side of the carb.

They sort of work opposite one another. An air screw adjusts how much air is being delivered thru the pilot circuit: in is rich (less air) and out is lean (more air). A fuel screw adjust how much fuel (or air/fuel mixture) is being delivered from the pilot circuit. In is lean (less fuel) and out is rich (more fuel).

This image depicts a carb (a Dellorto in this case) with an air screw:

1 is the air screw
    5 is the pilot jet
    blue area is air
    orange area is fuel
    green area is air/fuel mixture

This image depicts another Dellorto carb but this one has a fuel screw instead of an air screw:

5 is the fuel screw
    6 is the pilot jet
    blue area is air
    orange area is fuel
    green area is air/fuel mixture

great post thank you for taking the time to make it simple to understand
    my dixie wrecked racin

Yeah, I didnt know that the FCR screws existed until now. Of course i never really looked, but o well. Getting to that fuel mix screw is a pain in the arse when it is running. Nice post, thanks for the time and im sure that it will help lots of people with correcting their pilot circuit.
    <Mat>

2007 YFZ 450.....with some goodies!!

www.triple777racing.com

"Dude, Don't laugh............I think I broke something"

I updated a few things for clarity and added a little more info on fuel vs. air screws.

where can I get a FCR fuel screw?

Originally posted by WickedATVer
    where can I get a FCR fuel screw?

many places. i got mine from C&D
    2005 450r

*sold* 2001 400ex

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right."

"A leader will take you where you want to go. A great leader will not necessarily take you where you want to go but where you ought to be."

"If you want to do something, you will find a way; if you don't, you'll find and excuse!"

"Its not aptitude but attitude that determines your altitude."

I replaced my stock setup with 42 also but now after I hammer it and shut it down I get feul dumping out the over flow line on the bottom of the carb off of the bowl? Any ideas.
    Brehmmotorsports 400ex

Originally posted by Brehmmotorsport
    I replaced my stock setup with 42 also but now after I hammer it and shut it down I get feul dumping out the over flow line on the bottom of the carb off of the bowl? Any ideas.
    adjust your float level.
    M-Dub

Quadless as of now
    05 KLX110 - some stuff
    01 ZR600 - bone stock
    1992 LT80 - pitquad I guess?

So far the people that have SCREWED me on here:
    powerband
    and yamablaster24 more yamablaster24

Remember every time you run wheel spacers or flipped rims... god kills a kitten

"The best you have ridden is the best you know" Paul Thede- RaceTech

Ignorance is NOT bliss -- it's embarrassing and counter-productive

Experience is a tough teacher she gives the test first the lesson afterwards

RIP 606

How in the world do I loosen the screw on the 400ex, it's shaped like the letter "D"?
    2002 CBR 954RR
    2006 400EX & 2007 250EX Burned in Housefire 27 May 08

2005 450R
    Works Black Widow Front Shocks / Fox Rear Shock / Hiper CF1 Rims / Galfer Braided Brake Lines
    White Laker Plastics with PowerMadd Handguards / Custom Spiked Industries Graphics
    Venom 480 Big Bore Kit /14.25:1 CP Piston / Venom Ported Head, KW Valves & Springs
    HRC Cam & Honda Clutch w/CR500 Springs / Quadtech Seat Cover
    Sparks Big Core Pipe / Dynateck CDI module / Fuel Customs Intake w/K&N filter
    Flexx Handlebars & ASV Levers / Armadillo Full Skids / Hermann +1 A-arms
    Pro Armor Fat Peg Nerf Bars / Kill Switch / Pro Race Grab Bar / Dominator Bumper

Lots of BKPerformance Powdercoating

The Honda F-2, F-3, & F-4 street bikes had D shaped screw heads also & the Dynojet jet kits came with the tool to adjust them. I used to own a shop in Hawaii & I have a few of them. Find Dynojet's website & get 1 from them. Ray.
    06 LT-R450 05 LTZ400 03LTZ400 85 LT250R 96 LT80 92LT80 01 Blaster 92 Badger80

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast