Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: J-arms

J-arms

So I've been looking around and have found great pre 90's banshee's that are as old as me and are in better condition. And for pretty damn cheap too, but I was just wondering, what exactly is wrong with the j-arms? Not as rigid? Don't maneuver as quick? Don't last as long? Hope you can answer my question, thanks.
    Loosy Goosy

im wonderring the same thing?
    obviously they arent as good as a-arms but whar are the exact problems with them?
    also, can you mount up a-arms to j-arms?
    Spencer Westin

also, can you mount up a-arms to j-arms?
    you cant mount a-arms to a j-arm banshee, you have one of the top mounts moved and then it will work.
    1989 Banshee (Modding Soon)
    Two, 2005 Polaris Trailboss (Both Stock)

Bump, still no answer to my questions.
    Loosy Goosy

my guess is that people ditch them because there are no aftermarket j-arms. and if you want to go wider you need to buy a-arms...plus those year banshees are pretty old now and if your going to rebuild them why not upgrade. They probably arent as strong either so i guess people would rather be safe than sorry and upgrade to the a-arms.

i've heard that the control on them isn't as great and they break really easy, just my 2 cents

In my opinion J arm is better for drag because it has less weight!It all depends on what you are going to use it for!Steering is the same for J & A arms.The year of a Banshee is not that much of a problem because you can just buy some new pistons and thats all you will need to have a new bike!

there are aftermarket extended J-arms. Word is they'll go through bearings faster than A-arms would. Alot of drag racers use J-arms because of the lighter weight, but you see less and less of that because the aftermarket makes lightweight A-arms now.

I used to make&sell a J-arm to A-arm conversion kit, but I got out of that biz. Prolly sold around 50 conversion kits back in the day.

Re: J-arms

Originally posted by EvilEwok
    So I've been looking around and have found great pre 90's banshee's that are as old as me and are in better condition. And for pretty damn cheap too, but I was just wondering, what exactly is wrong with the j-arms? Not as rigid? Don't maneuver as quick? Don't last as long? Hope you can answer my question, thanks.
    No rearward support on the upper arm. If you ride alot of trails or race XC, one rock or tree hit the right way will rip that J-arm right off. I've seen it happen and it ain't pretty. If hit hard enough, the J-arm will push back and bend the shock too.
    "Everything's a good idea when you're drinkin'"
    "Without rules, we'd all be livin' in trees, flingin' our crap at each other" - a very wise man
    2003 Lonestar 250R
    2001 Lonestar 250R
    1986 250R restored to new
    1986 250R still in pieces
    2007 TRX450R
    2004 TRX450R
    1999 CR250
    1999 CR500
    1996 CR250
    and many more

1999 Banshee "NEW TO ME"

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/b...razyavatar.gif