Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Mount a Tire

im talkin about puttin the tire back ON the wheel
    "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't"

Wish in one hand,Sh*t in the other and see what fills up first..

02 400ex
    01 gixer 750
    89 El tigre 600(woodsbeater aka the champ
    94 fortrax 300 4x4

ether and a lighter and you got it. make sure the valve stem is out. i have always found it takes about 25 to 30 psi to seat the bead.
    03 400ex
    full hmf
    hot cam
    dynajet
    k&n
    big gun rev box
    razr 2
    tag bars

Originally posted by RMpower
    how the hell does that work? do you let out the air first?
    You spray ether inside the tire, then spray a trail away from it, and light the trail. When the air/ether mixture ignites inside the wheel, it rapidly expands and seats the bead. I usually try all the other tricks before resorting to ether, because that heat is probably not good for a tire, and because it can be very dangerous. I once saw a guy shred a stubborn tractor tire by using too much ether. It was extremely loud and destroyed the expensive new tire, but at least he wasn't hurt.

that is exactly step by step how i've always done it. well done, nice how-to.

i had bought a set of cheap tires for my old 200sx and tried to get them on no-name rims... it took days.. after a few hours i finally got them pushed on the rim, then when i inflated it, it only got to the inside lip of the rim, it wouldnt come all the way out. no matter what i did, it just wouldnt.. they were only 2 ply tires so i didnt want to use too much air.. so i bolted them back on and drove the thing for 3 days, with both tires stuck halfway on the rim, holding air and everything.. still nothing, so i hooked it up to a car compressor so i didnt have to hold the air nozzle on it, and stood back. the car compressor ran for about 10 minutes (mind you there was already 20-25 lbs in it first.) and then BAM it finally popped out onto the rim.. leaving an 'ohtsu' and the size imprinted on the hood of my truck.. which was a light grey primer color.. to this day that imprint is still stained on my truck. it ended up with like 36-38 lbs in it in the end before it popped out.. from then on i decided to buy better tires.. no more cheap crap.

i just got a pair of turf tamers 18x9.5x8 for my blaster for 120 for the pair do you think i got ripped also, i thinking bout buying the bead breaker from harbor freight does it work for atv tires? and dammmn the other day i got the tires i broke my leg before i could use them!

let me add my 2 cents, another way to pop the beads is to get a peice of 2x6 peice of wood about 1.5 to 2 foot long and put it on the tire with the end of the wood almost touching the rim and have a well trusted person drive up the wood untill the bead pops making sure the wood is not contacting the rim,if it does not pop turn the tire a little and try again. When putting tires on or taking them off, put them on or take them off the short offset side it is alot easier

I'd suggest caution over those that are thinking about driving over the tire to pop the bead or use starting fluid to seat beads. Unless you've had practice and got it down, this is a good way to do some damage to the rim/tire, people, or anything.

Overall, hardkoratvmxr great guide you have. One thing I'd add about seating rear tires, if you are having problems with the bead popping, I broke quite a few ratchet straps on the rears. Leave the core in, lube up the beads nicely, air up to about 25psi, and then lean and push down about half way on the side wall. This is the only way I found to get my rear beads to seat.

I have tried alot of these methods of dismounting a tire and in the end what I have found works the best I know own its a Bead Breaker made By K&L Supply, costs several hundred dollars but makes me glad I bought it evertime I use it. I own one of the harbor freight ones, it sucks, you will be in a bad mental condition after using it. Alot of the cheap bead breakers are made for car tires and the like which to not have the rib on the rim to keep the tire on under low pressures like at atv has. Using ether is exciting, people die doing it. I have done it and do it but I have a bead cheetah that is much more effective. I know if I didnt have the equipment I do I would be paying someone else to do it.

most of the time i mever have to use a cheetah bead seater,starting fluid(tire caught on fire),or a rachet strap.if needed I use a rachet strap to just make the tire hold air .DO NOT keep the strap on the tire when popping the beads,the strap can break and cause injury.I just use a little soap or WD-40 put air in it and maybe give it a well placed hit with my hand then the tire will start to hold air and i fill it slowly untill the bead pops,and i try not to go over the manuacturers max pressure.Do not lay the tire on its side while seating beads,it could jump up and hit you.BE CAREFUL

the strap trick isnt always enough so i use a cheetah, i have a small sized one just for atvs that i made

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast