Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Mount a Tire

well, thats a great explanation, now how about one on how to get tires off?? i know most beads are hard to break. people have told me to drive a truck onto one side of the tire, but to be carefull to to bend the rim, and that'll break the bead... are there any easier ways??
    live to ride, ride to live
    AIM-zkbuckethead12

the easiest way is to bring the tires and rims to a shop and let them do it for you.well worth the 15 bones a tire.
    -Paul

2001 416 EX that i used to have until some baseterds stole it from me!!!

Special Thanks To:
    My Beautiful Wife and Son, C&D Racing, BK Performance Coatings
    Please remember to make a donation to ATVRiders.com for the great site they have put together for us to enjoy.
    http://www.atvriders.com/donations/index.html

Dang 15 bones a tire. Here it is only 6 a tire and they will do them in 5 minutes. That is probably the fastest and most painless ways of getting the tire off the old rim
    Quad Less

A special thanks to BK PERFORMANCE for the powdercoating.

2009 MMI Graduate/Kawasaki Certified Technician

District 15
    Gone Hazardous Racing

aim-gonehazardous221

msn messenger- Chabowski22@insightbb.com

Originally posted by hardkoratvmxr
    Dang 15 bones a tire. Here it is only 6 a tire and they will do them in 5 minutes. That is probably the fastest and most painless ways of getting the tire off the old rim
    Im sorry,i forgot to mention that it was a swap(taking off old tires and installing new ones.
    -Paul

2001 416 EX that i used to have until some baseterds stole it from me!!!

Special Thanks To:
    My Beautiful Wife and Son, C&D Racing, BK Performance Coatings
    Please remember to make a donation to ATVRiders.com for the great site they have put together for us to enjoy.
    http://www.atvriders.com/donations/index.html

umm u got any ways on how to take over a tire? that would be great considering i need to take off the old ones to put on new tires

Breaking the beads on ATV tires is tough. I've seen several do-it-yourself methods. The most desireable is to purchase your own bead breaker. Home versions are usually manual devices that use leverage to generate force.

I own this one and would not recommend it. It bent the first time I used it. I straightened it but it is now too weak to be used for breaking beads.

Something like this might be a better choice, although I've never used this type:

The only meathods I've seen that didn't require proper tools (i.e. a manual or pnuematic tire changer) involved using the weight of a car or truck. Maybe the safest and best way is to jack a car up in the air and then slide the ATV tire/wheel underneath. You can remove one of the car's wheels and place the ATV tire under a drum/disk brake. Or place the ATV tire under the frame of the car. The placement of a 4x4 piece of wood or similar between the ATV tire and the car can help things along. You'll just have to figure out what spot and arragement will work in your situation. But the idea is to then lower the car down onto the tire to break the bead.

I've seen the weight of a car/truck used for all sorts of "how-do-we-do-this-without-the-proper-tools" situations. Pretty much any jam that requires a hydraulic press can be solved with a car and a jack. Although, it is frequently dangerous and should only be done if you don't have other options. I'm not kidding.
    "It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.
    It's what you know for sure that just ain't so. "

--Mark Twain

at my old work to get tires on a wheel we used to spray around the wheel with starting fluid light it on fire and bouce it and it would pop right onto the bead
    "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't"

Wish in one hand,Sh*t in the other and see what fills up first..

02 400ex
    01 gixer 750
    89 El tigre 600(woodsbeater aka the champ
    94 fortrax 300 4x4

how the hell does that work? do you let out the air first?
    live to ride, ride to live
    AIM-zkbuckethead12

well ya there is no air in it cuz the bead isnt sealed...im not even sure how it works exactly but we did it with skid steer tires and other big wheels
    "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't"

Wish in one hand,Sh*t in the other and see what fills up first..

02 400ex
    01 gixer 750
    89 El tigre 600(woodsbeater aka the champ
    94 fortrax 300 4x4

can you not just use some screw drivers to pop the bead? i removed several car tires off of rims with screw drivers. took about half a hour to get 1 tire completly off the rim.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast