Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Setting up 400ex for MX racing

Cool Setting up 400ex for MX racing

I just bought a new 400ex yesterday and I was wondering what to get to set it up fo mx. I ordered nerf bars, a kill switch, k+n filter and a 14 tooth sprocket. What else do I need to do? This is My first Honda and also my first 4 stroke I'm used to riding a Yamaha Blaster so this is a BIG difference. I love it.

Re: Setting up 400ex for MX racing

Originally posted by atvrider96
    I just bought a new 400ex yesterday and I was wondering what to get to set it up fo mx. I ordered nerf bars, a kill switch, k+n filter and a 14 tooth sprocket. What else do I need to do? This is My first Honda and also my first 4 stroke I'm used to riding a Yamaha Blaster so this is a BIG difference. I love it.
    If you are really thinking about hitting big jumps you might want to think about new shocks, Longer a arms, and axle. ALso for power a pipe will help. And what kind of kill switch and nerf bars did you order??

I order A/c alloy nerfs the kill switch I already had it is made by emigo but I'm going to get a pro design in a few weeks.
    Jerry

Quadless again!!!!

Originally posted by atvrider96
    I order A/c alloy nerfs the kill switch I already had it is made by emigo but I'm going to get a pro design in a few weeks.
    Why are u going to get a pro design?? Doesn't the other one work good or what? Casue i was thinking about getting one

It works it is just cheaply made. It takes a little bit to get it seated properly. I'm also thinking of of race cutting my front fenders but I can't bring myself to do it.
    Jerry

Quadless again!!!!

just read my sig to get an idea of how to setup a 400ex for MX racing..
    Attached Images Attached Images

for right now man you should just concentrate on chassis mods cause as it is the power for you is mroe than enough . trust me i got chassis mods like +2 jd perfomance a arms, offset itp rims with Holeshots 19 inch MX front. and Wroks triple rate suspension with ressies and then i got ITP holeshot MX 18x8x11 mopunted on race reinforced itp rims and the thing handles SOOO MUCH BETTER!!! and my motor is completly stock and in my last race i bet 2 Moto 440s and a few other cannibals. The way i setup my quad in the order im doing it im liking it so much better! i would go any other order.

I will have to agree with NTP. Definitely work on the suspension before you even touch the motor. Get the bike to the regulation 50in width, with some descent shocks. If you plan on doing recreational racing, the works will work. If you plan on doing some serious racing, buy some good shocks. Make sure you get zero preload. Zero preload will lower your ride height significantly, therefore improving the handling.
    Look into some good tires. The hot set ups are 19 or 20 holeshot mx or grooved radials up front and 18 holeshot mx or turf tamers in the rear. I would recommend splurging and getting beadlocks, at least in the rear.
    I would switch your front sprocket back to the stock 15 tooth. The 14 will give you more top end, but you loose bottom end and you need more bottom end on a mx track.
    Cutting the fenders is just a personal preference. I couldn't bring myself to cut my fenders last season. I finally gave in a cut them this year. I am not placing any better because the fenders are cut.

I wish I could say that I went this route when building my bike. I went completely backwards. I built the fastest bike on the track. I could outrun most anybody on the track as long as we where going straight and there were no obstacles. I sunk all the money into the motor, even thought I was told not to many of times.

Do it how you wish, it's your bike. You can learn from our mistakes or learn from your own.
    2003 Cannondale Canibal
    2000 Race Ready 416ex STOLEN!!
    1984 ATC 70
    2003 Sponsors:
    Agony Racing
    ET Performance

Liquid Performance
    K&N Filters

Oneal

AC Racing

Houser Racing

Check out my sig
    2000 Roll/Laeger's/Houser/Axis 416ex

2001 Arens/Laeger's/PEP 250r

Thanks to my sponsors for 2003 : 00-Buck ATV Racing, Team Pompton, Nebulae Race Team, Milton Inn Packaged Goods, Napa Auto Parts of Oak Ridge, Sick Style Racing, WD-40, Hinson Racing, IMS, Sport Center Racing, and Nac's racing

I'd also like to give a special thanks to Baldwin Motorsports for all there help and support they gave me.

We are now accepting resumes, this is a New Jersey based team. westsyder50@hotmail.com
    http://www.geocities.com/sickstyleatv/index.html

Team Rcokford Fosgate 401+ northeast champ 147.7db

Thanks Guys I think the next thing i will get is a set of shocks. i really don't want to do alot to the motor other than a new muffler I want to keep the reliablity. As for shocks are Works Triple rates w/out rezzies any good or should I get rezzies. I don't really care if I go out there and finish first or last I'm just out there to have fun.(And not get hurt)
    Jerry

Quadless again!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast