Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Joe Byrd's Riding school

Alright he teaches you to basically just use your front breaks. He says your fronts are 70% of your beaking power and your rears are then 30%. He had ous pactice out breaking points into this left hand sweeper. He tought ous a certain body position technique were he says you can slow down alot faster and it helps to not fly over the bars from locking up the fronts. He told ous get in the attack position "elbows bent, fingers on controls, back at an angle". He then told ous to sit roughly 8" off the seat. Then move back as far as you can without having your arms strait out. The strait you have your arms the weaker they are. Really there are certain turns which front break use is great and some turns that I don't use the front breaks at all. He also highly recommends when you find your breaking points while locking up the front breaks take your thumb off the throttle and put it on the throttle box. That way you don't accidently stab the throttle while locking up.

Hope this helps...

Brent

#9m
    I saw you at Rausch Creek on Saturday? Did you see me #151 red 450r ecatv graphics? I was going to say something but I wasn't sure if it was you. That guy on who wreck on that tabletop looks like he messed up his wrist pretty bad!
    MX Trx450r
    district 6 mx/xc racer

www.chad502ex.com for porting and motor information!

yeah bro i saw you he crashed like 30 secounds before i was gona go off that jump.. i parked my quad right on the jump and went to llook at him.. his finger was pushed back above the top of his main hang bones.. it was nasty. i dont even know how he crashed.. I hate seeing people get hurt.. next time stop by and say hi..

I was at irish valley all day and came to rausch to throw in some extra free practice..

also about the braking.. i havent had rear brakes for 1 year so i never use them anymore even know we fixed them.

it seems if u lock up ur front breaks then ur gonna do a endo.
    Jordan Pepper #859

08 LTR

09 Nationals/D13.
    4-stroke A and 450A

Sponsors for 09: Cernics Racing, DASA Racing, Moto-X Nutrition, ES Games4u and BK Performance!

AIM s/n: trx450rracer10

Well that's another reason why you use the body position I posted above. I'll try to explain this.... If you've ever locked up the front breaks you know you really can't steer because you tires aren't spinning. So really when you lock up the front breaks you'll be going in the direction you're moving. When using the back breaks you can lock up and slide buy moving the bars. The places I use my front breaks are High speed sweepers, High banked berms, ect.... Turns that will turn you naturally without you having to do much turning. If you get what I mean. Well anyways you really just have to find your breaking points. Find and object or place something down sometime at a corner. Go wide open upto that object then lock up the breaks. See how far you can improve without getting to uncomfortable or flying over the berm or turn. For me I feel alot faster using my front breaks in most sweepers, flat turns ect, Alot of those turns I go full our lock up the front breaks just to slow down most of my momentum and don't use any breaking from their on. It's hard to explain really. I guess it really just depends on what you're comfortable with.. If you guys have any questions with riding or how to approach a certain situation let me know. I remember everything Joe tought me and I'de be glad to share it!
    MX Trx450r
    district 6 mx/xc racer

what did he say to eat and drink in between races?

He really didn't say alot about eating before a race. He just told ous what to eat period.

Instead of eating fried chicken eat baked chicken.... Instead of eating pizza eat pasta..... Don't drink soda drink water....

I also wanted to know what was good to eat before a race...... Maybe I'll call him and ask......
    MX Trx450r
    district 6 mx/xc racer

hey this sounds awesome. where did you guys find out about this, does he have a website or somehow i can sign up? thanks

-mike
    1996 Honda 300EX - SOLD!

2005 Black 450R - AC Nerfs, AC bumper, AC Grab Bar, Uni Filter, 13T front, Pro Circuit 496 S/O
    ~MORE TO COME!!

MX Trx450r
    district 6 mx/xc racer

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123