Thread: Simple Exhaust Question

Simple Exhaust Question

Is the sparks system worth the extra price over the HMF? I did a search and there was no definative answer.

I have a eseries slip on and i dont like the sound.
    Does the head pipe help that much?

Is the LRD slip on any good? Did not find much on that topic?

Thanks

This isn't any of what you listed but i went with the fmf powercore 4 and fmf powerbomb header and I love the sound of it and the power.
    04' 416 EX
    JE 87mm 10.8:1 PISTON
    450R CARB
    JETTING: 198 KEIHEN JET MAIN
    48 KEIHEN PILOT
    FUEL SCREW 3 TURNS OUT
    E-CLIP ON 3RD NOTCH FROM TOP
    HOTCAM STAGE I
    FMF POWERCORE 4
    FMF POWERBOMB HEADER
    REV BOX
    PRO ARMOR KILL SWITCH
    K&N AIR FILTER w/ OUTERWEAR
    K&N POWERLID w/ OUTERWEAR
    PRO TAPER BARS
    DG "FAT" V PRO-SERIES BUMPER
    DG "FAT" NERFS
    UM AIR SCOOPS
    FMF SHOCKCOVERS
    BLUE LED TAIL LIGHT
    ITP SAND STARS II'S ON C-SERIES POLISHED WHEELS 20"
    CHENG SHINS---STUDDED 20"
    DICK CEPEK SPIDER-TRAC 22"
    MAXXIS RAZR II's FRONT AND REAR.

07' SUZUKI DR-Z 400-------STOCK
    84' HONDA 200 S ATC------STOCK
    22" WOOLY BOOGERS

i would go with the LRD full system, there not overly loud and they sound really nice
    NEATV-MX #51.
    06 Walsh/LSR/Axis 450R - Gone
    07 Walsh/JB/PEP 450R - Gone
    07 Gibson/JB/PEP 450R - Gone

fmf sucks id go with either sparks, hmf, lrd, or supertrapp, there all good pipes very well built
    KFX400- Hmf Ballence Pro exhaust, Prodesign proflow kit, intake and exhaust hotcams, valve springs, HD cam chain, dg bumper, nerfbars, shockcovers, razr 2's on itp bajas and much more
    300ex- big gun revbox durablue axle, supertrapp race exhaust, (fmf powercore 4 back up), dyno jet kit, k&n, outerwear, brake blockoff, kfx400 front bumper, dg grabbar, dg nerfbars, tag x5 handlebars, itp baja rims on maxxis razr 2 tires, shock wears, geared
    BLASTER-itp blackwater tires, trenga porting and polishing, bored .20 over, trenga manifold, vitos reed spacer, trenga 30 mill carb, trenga carb adapter, k&n, trenga dual line hydralic brakes, trinity expansion chamber with fmf powercore 2 silencer. (didnt like fmfs expansion chamber. runs too hot), new chain, new bearings all around, new bushings, fresh flat black frame, and suspension paint.

if u have a quad other then a 450 and are sick of 450 riders telling u to get a 450 copy and paste this into your profile

Sparks is the best you can buy for an EX. Get the headpipe, it will give you a marginal horsepower gain, like 1 or 2 put it's worth it.
    Jeff

2008 Yamaha Raptor 700

2003 Honda CBR954RR

Originally posted by Iliketogofast
    Sparks is the best you can buy for an EX. Get the headpipe, it will give you a marginal horsepower gain, like 1 or 2 put it's worth it.
    Sparks doesn't make a slip on so you wouldn't have a choice but to get the headpipe.

I love my HMF. With the Sparks there is no quiet core so it remains ungodly loud. This can get you into sticky situations at sound checks if you have any.
    Research Assistant
    Engine Research Center
    University of Wisconsin-Madison
    Department of Mechanical Engineering

2003 400ex
    2005 Arctic Cat F7 EFI

Re: Simple Exhaust Question

Originally posted by pholt
    Is the sparks system worth the extra price over the HMF? I did a search and there was no definative answer.
    The Sparks X-4 is $100 cheaper than the HMF Full system pipe.

Sparks X-4 Racing = $349 according to sparksracing.com
    HMF Sport full system = $450.95 according to a must for the 300ex.

Even if the increase from adding the header is only 2 hp.. on the 300ex that is a 13% power increase over stock (15 rwhp to 17 rwhp).

IMHO a full system pipe, and aftermarket filter are the best power improvement per $ you can get. Some may argue a cam+hc piston is better, but you can't really do a cam without fixing the intake and exuast first.

Also on the sparks if you get the spark arested version with diffuser disks ($50 upgrade), I beleive you can put in a supertrap quiet core.

But if he's looking to start out cheaper...
    The best bet is to go HMF slipon, and add a FMF or WhiteBro's header later on. It's cheaper than the HMF full system (about the same as the sparks system), and very comparable in power to the sparks, and not quite as loud.

All depends on what his budget and sound limits dictate.

I've never ran a LRD on the 300ex so I couldn't tell you wether it's worth a crap or not on the 300. Great pipe on some other quads, but every pipe is different on different quads.

edit: As a note the Sparks is really best suited for modified engines, so if you plan on doing engine mods you may want to look into it.
    Brandon -O||||O-
    1998 Honda TRX300EX (330)