Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gotta problem

Gotta problem

Alright, i have a small problem with my quad. IT starts aand runsa fine, can ride it all day long, BUT under a heavy load it spits and sputters adn sometimes acts like it has spark knock. Mods are in sig, i am going to try to adjust the valves, thinking they may be set wrong, but i dont know. It will rev all the way out, amd runs great, but i try to hit my jump in 2 and 3rd and it wimply sont pull itself. in first there is not enough strain on the motor to make it do this, it will just spin in first , but in the upper gears it dont run like it should.
    Tyler Jones

2000 426EX, 11:1 wiseco, hot cams stage 3 "stroker" cam, Ported head done by Dr. G, FCR 41, Hot rods crank, running no base gasket, 1 layer of 3 layer head gasket, Klotz 113 race fuel Feather carbon smoothie hood, works tripples w/ressies, Black HMF slip on, AC pro peg nerfs, Azonic fat bars, burgaurd +1 1/4" swinger, Lonestar +1 stem, douglas yellow label front wheels, Pro Armor front bumper, + some others goodies

AIM: Fourtrax426

Holeshot Motorsports Wilder, KY
    for all aftermarket parts

Re: Gotta problem

Originally posted by underpowered
    Alright, i have a small problem with my quad. IT starts aand runsa fine, can ride it all day long, BUT under a heavy load it spits and sputters adn sometimes acts like it has spark knock. Mods are in sig, i am going to try to adjust the valves, thinking they may be set wrong, but i dont know. It will rev all the way out, amd runs great, but i try to hit my jump in 2 and 3rd and it wimply sont pull itself. in first there is not enough strain on the motor to make it do this, it will just spin in first , but in the upper gears it dont run like it should.
    Hey Tyler,

Is it smoking, did you check the compression?

compression is great, only smoke is from leaky valve seal (just havent had to to replace). Here is the whole story

Put in a new cam about a month ago, ran awesome, no problems. But sence then, it has pregressively been runnign worse, valves ticking more, and the "spark Knock" sound, which i think may all be caused by a valve ajuster not being torqued down correctly, since it has only been since last time i had it apart and has been slowly getting worse. I am going to adjust the valves right now and see what that does for it.

Chino886-It may not have been teh CDI causing the sound, but something else. Hows it working for you?
    Tyler Jones

2000 426EX, 11:1 wiseco, hot cams stage 3 "stroker" cam, Ported head done by Dr. G, FCR 41, Hot rods crank, running no base gasket, 1 layer of 3 layer head gasket, Klotz 113 race fuel Feather carbon smoothie hood, works tripples w/ressies, Black HMF slip on, AC pro peg nerfs, Azonic fat bars, burgaurd +1 1/4" swinger, Lonestar +1 stem, douglas yellow label front wheels, Pro Armor front bumper, + some others goodies

Originally posted by underpowered
    compression is great, only smoke is from leaky valve seal (just havent had to to replace). Here is the whole story

Chino886-It may not have been teh CDI causing the sound, but something else. Hows it working for you?
    Don't know, wrecked bad last saturday, broke a spindle before I even put it in there.

I don't know, your problem sounds kinda weird, how old are the rings on the piston?

rebuilt in the fall of '04, nothing done to the piston or rings since.
    Tyler Jones

I noticed a loss in power but could still ride around when I pulled a head stud. There was also a ticking sound. Start it up and look around the head gasket real good.
    2001 Honda 416SS with a powerbong

Originally posted by Rico
    I noticed a loss in power but could still ride around when I pulled a head stud. There was also a ticking sound. Start it up and look around the head gasket real good.
    i pulled a head stud right after i got it, they were replaced. It is not so much a loss of power, just under load. on flat ground or in fist gear is still has all its power, but when you put it under a heavy strain, like accelerating up the face of a jump or on a hill, it just coughes and sputters, but does not die.

I will have it back together in about half an hour, i will let you know if adjusting the valves helped any.
    Tyler Jones

Is it just sputtering/losing power on uphill approaches or is it doing this constantly. I am no mechanic by any means but could it be something as simple as a gas line being pinched or something might shift (and pinch something) if you are "in" it. maybe a carboration issue. Just thought I would give it a shot.
    00' 400EX
    semi loaded

Marcus You will be Missed. See you on the other side my friend. R.I.P.

I HOPE YOU GET IT FIXED BEFORE YA'LL LEAVE TOMORROW TO GO TO BIG ROCK. I WISH I COULD GO W/ YA'LL...GOOD LUCK

JEREMY
    1999 Honda 416ex

Wiseco 416 kit-Yoshimura RS3 Full Comp Series-K&N filter-Outerwears pre filter-Uni Air box lid Jets-
    Dyno Jet Kit-Renthal front Sprockets-Renthal Bars-Renthal Chain-Holeshot XCR Rear tires on Douglus red label-Holeshot XCT Front tires-Pro Armor skid plates-LSR Axle carrier-LSR Sprocket hub-LSR Break hub/axle nut

it was a combination of two problems. It is not entirerly solved, but good enough so i can go riding tomorow. The valves were out of adjustment. mainly the intake. did that and it helped, but it would still cut out. I thought maybe it was a fuel issue. and it sort of was. I still have the winter jets (178) in it so i leaned her out a bit, and the problem is still there, it is still a little rich, it bogs on top end, but good enough to ride. I will fine tune the jetting later, and noticed i need a cam chain, which will be replaced after this ride.
    Tyler Jones

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast