Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Krylon fusion plastic paint.

The humidity is a big factor also, because if you have moisture in the air, that will affect the way that the paint dries. You may not even be able to see the little air bubbles that form on the surface of the paint. but after you let it dry for 30 minutes, you may still have moisture on or in the paint and when you put that next coat of paint on, you are going to lock those bubbles in place, therfore, ruining all the work you did in the first place. you will see that the paint will soon start to peel, bubble, crack and just not hold up very well because of the moisture. To cure this problem, exspecially in the summer, or rainy or humid days, paint in a garage or shed of some sort and plug in a dehumidifer or air conditioner. That may not be possible for some ppl, so plan you day when the humidity is down a bit, if you keep an eye on the weather in the morning, they usually tell you...

As far as painting goes, my fiance and i just wanted to let you guys know. we primed and painted our racks with Rustoleum Brand grey primer and then the next day with black texture paint, it's a really sandy, fine texture. They turned out awesome!! Will have to get some close ups for this site! They are perfect for the rack because now they have a lot of grip, and the paint has held up really well even after putting a chainsaw on the racks to do some yard work and also putting rubber straps onto the sides of them! Our next project is to prime and paint the same color and texture on this little pull behind trailer my fiance welded together for the atv. He just got done welding the metal mesh floor to it tonight, so i think we may be able to paint this weekend, as long as it doesn't rain! I would highly recommend it to anyone who has rusty peeling nasty racks(which im sure many of you do!) The texture blends in quite nicely with the dark green and black colors of the atv! But always remember, if you are going to paint, prime FIRST!!! Even if you dont have a painted surface, because its hard for paint to adhere to glossy surfaces, and primer ALSO makes ur final coat of paint look a lot better and smoother, a more professional look. And in addition to looks and adhesion, it will help with the durability of your paint job, helps prevent cracking, peeling, flashing, fading, chipping! It's a wonderful thing!!
    *ayla and justin*

I have some banshee plastics that already have a coat of paint chipping off them, not sure what kind of paint.....anyway, what should I do with them before attempting to paint them?

Originally posted by YATES
    I have some banshee plastics that already have a coat of paint chipping off them, not sure what kind of paint.....anyway, what should I do with them before attempting to paint them?

Sand them with 400 grit sand paper till smooth, clean them and then you can spray them

Or if you want you can get paint stripper and remove the paint just make sure you get all of the paint stripper off the plasitcs before painting them..
    I've had banshees, 250rs.. miss them all!

1986 ATC200X

Josh your at 10000 posts

Anways I may do this to my 400ex plastic since I dunno want to speed the mula on new right now.. How many cans for front and rear plastic? 5 cans be good? I am not sure what color to do yet. Silver or black. Here is the my quad silver before I bought it
    Attached Images Attached Images
    V-Twin King Quad

Wrong pic oppss here is another one
    Attached Images Attached Images
    V-Twin King Quad

horrible

i painted my plastic wit the right stuff the paint peels right off n **** looks ugly u think i did somthing wrong
    IDC

Re: horrible

Originally posted by ltownfam8
    i painted my plastic wit the right stuff the paint peels right off n **** looks ugly u think i did somthing wrong
    Sounds like you tryed to paint them at once and the paint is too thick..

did you sand it?
    I've had banshees, 250rs.. miss them all!

1986 ATC200X

I haven't done any plastic painting, but do plenty of cabinet painting and paint and lacquer spraying. Maybe you should sand with a more course sandpaper first. The idea is to make some significant scratch patterns for the paint to grip to. Maybe 180 or 220 grit. Then after a primer or first coat then got use the 400 grit to flatten out the first coat. Just a thought on why everyone is peeling. I'm thinking of doing mine as well over the winter so keep posting results.
    Wings won't take me
    Heights don't phase me
    So take a step- but don't look down
    Take a step

www.breezewoodprovinggrounds.com

Check out my post before you go to Chatsworth NJORVP http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthre...&pagenumber=28

06 YFZ-450

07 YFZ-450

I cleaned,sanded,cleaned,dried, painted, clear coated....

BEFORE

AFTER
    '07 Yamaha Big Bear
    Halogen Accessory lights
    Heated Grips,arm mitts,front carrier bag,tank bag,fender bag

'97 Kawasaki KX100
    UFO Handguards

that came out good man.
    ~2008 YFZ~
    Pro Armor, Houser, Maxxis, Streamline

#621 WNYOA Harescramble Series
    www.wnyoa.net