Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Krylon fusion plastic paint.

Post Krylon fusion plastic paint.

When your plastics are just about clapped out and you dont have the money to get brand new plastics just yet this product comes in handy. I was leary about using it at first but I didnt have 500 dollars to spend on plastics, had a motor to build

I first sprayed a cr80 rear fender I had and let it sit for 24 hours like krylon recomends I even did some flames on it just for laughs. When I went to grab it I dropped it on the floor.. Didnt chip I was amazed usually paint from a rattle can isnt this durable! I proceeded to bend the living piss out of this fender, jump on it even bend it so it would stay bent and pop back. To my surprisement the paint didnt crack, chip, splinter or anything!

With that said, here comes the techincal blibber blabber for you guys Any questions about this, feel free to PM me

Materials- 3-4 cans of Krylon fusion paint, Cleaner, 320-400 grit sand paper, String.

Clean the plastics, use a grease cutter, carb cleaner anything of the sort to remove anything that will react with the paint.

Second step, Sand the plastics LIGHTLY with 320 or 400 grit sand paper. When I mean lightly you dont have to put alot of force into the sanding, let the paper do the work. Any areas you cannot fit sand paper into use a s.o.s or scotch brite pad and scuff it.

Once you have sanded both bottom and top of your plastics clean them once again, if possible blow them off with a air chuck to make sure that there isnt any dust to interfer with the paint.

Krylon recomends to paint the plastics in a area 65-70 degrees, this helps the paint cure.

For painting if possible hang the plastics in the air so you can make sure you get every possible nook and cranny. Spray the bottom of the fenders first. This is so you dont get over spray on the top. If you spray the top first, when you are spraying the bottom the overspray will go onto the top and make it grainy. Spray in LIGHT coats, dont try and paint them in one spray it will create runs also the paint will lift is there is to much in one area.

Now that they are painted Kryon recomends they sit for 24 hours for the paint to cure.

...:::: Plastics before :::...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I've had banshees, 250rs.. miss them all!

1986 ATC200X

Plastics after krylon..

::::BEWARE::::

Stickers do rip off the paint. If you put stickers on it, besure you want them there!

Also, at the rausch ride I did manage to chip the paint finally, if your ever going to ride in muck, mud or anything like that I wouldnt recomend it. I had probaly a good 10-15 pounds of mud per side doing jumps etc and thats the only time it ever chipped.. Good stuff

1986 ATC200X

stuff works good..

BEFORE
    2001 440ex
    rebuilding as the paychecks keep comming in...

AFTER
    2001 440ex
    rebuilding as the paychecks keep comming in...

how long did you let it site between coats ?, and did you use a clear coat after ?
    Blk & Red 03 Pred 500
    NC drag pipe
    Razr II on ITP C-serise
    Rath SS headers
    Civic intake/ outerwear
    W.Brothers CDI
    pro grips
    Modded airbox

i would wait about 15 minutes between coats. this gas IS NOT GAS RESISTANT. so if you use it near your gas tank be careful when fueling up. if you do spill dont wipe it off, it'l take the paint right off. clearcoat helps to prevent this i've been told... havnt tried it though.
    Mike Hurd
    Revulsion Industries

))FQX((

does any of those plastic cleaners/scratch removers take the paint off?

Originally posted by flyin#5
    i would wait about 15 minutes between coats. this gas IS NOT GAS RESISTANT. so if you use it near your gas tank be careful when fueling up. if you do spill dont wipe it off, it'l take the paint right off. clearcoat helps to prevent this i've been told... havnt tried it though.
    If you get it off in time it doesnt take it off but it lifts the paint, I learned the hard way

The clear will help but when it chips you have to sand all the clear down, paint then clear again.

1986 ATC200X

has anybody who used the krylon paint cleaned their bike with a pressure washer ahter they used it....if so will it chip or lift the paint or damage it in any way
    04' honda 400ex
    -Black Motorsport Products Nerf's
    -Black UM Performance Bumper
    -DG Exhaust

hopefully more to come

if you have one small chip and the power washer gets that chip it is all over the paint will lift up and go bye bye
    300ex man i mess up on the id

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast