Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: How to remove and replace front wheel bearings

You may want to check the bushings/bearings on your a-arms, where they mount to the frame. When they are bad, it sometimes makes it feel like you have a wheel bearing bad.

Originally posted by Scro
    You may want to check the bushings/bearings on your a-arms, where they mount to the frame. When they are bad, it sometimes makes it feel like you have a wheel bearing bad.
    The play is definetely isolated to the spindle area, so it seems as though it has to be the bearings.....They seem to be the same as the old ones, but then again, those had play too
    3 race quads, one skirtbike, and a handful of bicycles...

ride 'em
    race 'em
    fix 'em
    repeat

wow what a co-winky dink....

the other day before i looked here and was a member i just had to do my fronts on my ex...

Mine was so bad, the only piece i had left on my left side was a scrap of metal, from the inner part of the bearing too abt 4 mm thick was it and 2 bbs came out, my tires was in the words of paul wall, sitting sidewayz.

I used a dremel to cut what was wedged in my hub out, some ppl might have to go that route, but a dremel with the metal cutting wheel and slice a slit down it then came out nice with a screw driver, ill post pics of the remains of my bearings from jumpin huge tables.

Originally posted by TYayo420
    wow what a co-winky dink....

the other day before i looked here and was a member i just had to do my fronts on my ex...

Mine was so bad, the only piece i had left on my left side was a scrap of metal, from the inner part of the bearing too abt 4 mm thick was it and 2 bbs came out, my tires was in the words of paul wall, sitting sidewayz.

I used a dremel to cut what was wedged in my hub out, some ppl might have to go that route, but a dremel with the metal cutting wheel and slice a slit down it then came out nice with a screw driver, ill post pics of the remains of my bearings from jumpin huge tables.
    That piece that you cut was the race which is the outside of the bearing.
    2008 ltr-450 se
    2000 400ex
    2005 polaris sportsman

DOES THIS APPLICATION APPLY WITH HONDA 4X4'S?? ESPICALLY THE FRONT AXLES
    joe

i'm in the process of changing both front wheel bearings on my z and they are stuck tight. i put pb blaster and let them soak for a little and then kept tyring. on the one side, the bearings came out, sorta. everything but the outside case of them. i've been beating on in and still can't get it out. is the dremel the best idea? or would something else work? thanks.

To get race out put wheel hub in freezer for a while ,then beat on it. thats the only way I got mine out. they just don,t simply bang out alum, hub and steel bearing need cold to shrink steel dont heat.and freeze before install to get in easy,and if you ride in water use marine grease on bearing lasts longer.just my two cents.

I just want to add something to this,

The other day I changed my first set of wheel bearings on a quad. It was a 660 raptor.

Now I am fairly sure it is about the same process, from pappy's write up, it seems the same.

What I did to get the bearings out, was heat!

I soaked them in PB blaster, let them sit for a good 5 - 10 minutes.

Wiped all the excess fluid off of the hub and bearings, and heated the outside of the hub with a simple little propane torch for about 2 minutes.

Turned the hub upside down and wacked it a few good times with a socket and old extension and a rubber mallet.

This method worked on both front hubs even though when I had originally tried to remove the bearings, I didn't think they were going to come out.

Hope I helped someone in the future.
    IM HARD ON EQUIPMENT!

GOON: look pro, go slow!

Spider Graphix, Magic Motorsports, ATVRDIERS.COM, MOM&DAD

****Breast cancer awareness! I love you grandma!****

Go to your local auto parts store.

You will need to get a "pickle fork". You want to get the one that does NOT go into a air chisel.Get the one that you can use with a ordinary household hammer. That will do the trick to get the spindle off.

Really hate to bump this old tread but i need to know where i can purchase the Spacers you have mentions on page 1, i took my front hubs apart to replace the bearings today and one had no spacer and the other was so jacked up that is was missing a spacer

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast