Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How to remove and replace front wheel bearings

i am having a hard time remving my bearings thay don't want to move at all what should i do?
    getting back in the game lol got a abused 300ex

Originally posted by j450rking
    i am having a hard time remving my bearings thay don't want to move at all what should i do?
    Try using more force to get them out
    Staff Photographer ATVRiders.com
    Senior Photographer ATVInsider
    Staff Photographer GNCC Racing/ATV MX
    Staff Photographer Vurboffroad
    Staff Photographer Cycle News

i got them out the same day i posted i took an 11 mm socket and put it in the vise and it poped right out
    getting back in the game lol got a abused 300ex

Great write up Pappy, you helped me out. In my situation, when I tighten the hub nut down, it seems to put too much pressure on the bearing and thrust washer and makes the hub hard to spin. The nut has to nearly be loosened to no pressure against the washer to spin freely. Is there a recommended torque on this nut, or did I do something wrong?
    2002 Honda 452 Stroker (Looking to sell)
    2004 CBR 600RR
    OhioMafiaRiders.com

Originally posted by jrm03
    Great write up Pappy, you helped me out. In my situation, when I tighten the hub nut down, it seems to put too much pressure on the bearing and thrust washer and makes the hub hard to spin. The nut has to nearly be loosened to no pressure against the washer to spin freely. Is there a recommended torque on this nut, or did I do something wrong?
    Did you put the spacer back in? And make sure you've put it back in the correct way.

On a side note... Pappy, I like the color of the hubs in your install pics! Trans blue? If I ever find a frame for my old LT, that's the color I want.

I would have to geuss a spacer was missed or the bearings are possibly incorrect? when the spindle nut is torqued down, it holds pressure on teh small brass looking bushing that inturn forces the center of the bearing into the center spacer and such.

The other possibilty is that when you removed the bearings a small mark was left on the center spacer and is causing it to not spin freely on the spindle. (if its an issue, remove it and debur it)

i believe it was trans blue, i didnt go back and look

I just finished changing mine and have a question. Before I started I noticed play in the wheels. (I grabbed the top and bottom of the wheel and it had movement side to side). I put brand new bearings and seals in and made sure everything went in the same way it came out (spacers, etc...) and I still have the same amount of side to side play. The wheel spins fine and the spindle nut is on nice and tight. Is this normal?
    3 race quads, one skirtbike, and a handful of bicycles...

ride 'em
    race 'em
    fix 'em
    repeat

can you define where the play is coming from?

I'm not sure what you mean. I have the wheel (hiper 4:1 if it makes any difference) on the hub good with all the lug nuts tightened so it seems like the only place for the play to come from would be from the bearings. It seems like its got to be either the bearings or the hubs/spindles themselves....but its the same way for both wheels so it's hard to believe that they both have the same problem if it was in fact a faulty spindle or hub......

any ideas
    3 race quads, one skirtbike, and a handful of bicycles...

ride 'em
    race 'em
    fix 'em
    repeat

if its not coming from the ball joints, then your assumption in the problem being with the bearing is more then likely the culprit. this is not the first time I have heard of people finding play before or after bearing changes. i havent measured the bearing area or the bearings to see if there is noticable wear in the hub or if the bearings are undersized from the various manufactures, but i will start

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast