Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kid bounce over second jump on doubles

Kid bounce over second jump on doubles

This last weekend my local track had a prepped track practice. To my delight there was an LT-R 450 at the track. To my sorrow it was owned by a young man that didn't even buy it, his grandmother did for his birthday. Gratz to him I guess.

But on another note. As I watched this novice rider take this sweet bike around the track I noticed that he had it completely stock and had not adjusted the shocks to his weight or riding style. He looked to be about 5ft 10inchs tall, and about 150lbs.

The thing that concerned me is when he went to take a double, (which he did not do) He landed in the center of the 2 jumps and then bounced over the second one (it was about 3ft high). I was amazed that he was doing this. I saw him do this 3 more times through out the day. I have heard that the stock shocks were stiff, but I didn't think they were this stiff.

After I went up to him and found out he had only riding this bike a few times and the one he own before this was a 300EX with limited riding expererance.

From seeing this, I'm going to guess that these shocks were strictly designed for serious MX racing and this bike should not be in the hands of inexperanced riders.

Just something I wanted to share.
    New ride
    Suzuki LTR 450
    White

Sold but not forgotten
    2004 Honda 400EX

Re: Kid bounce over second jump on doubles

Originally posted by armysig
    This last weekend my local track had a prepped track practice. To my delight there was an LT-R 450 at the track. To my sorrow it was owned by a young man that didn't even buy it, his grandmother did for his birthday. Gratz to him I guess.

But on another note. As I watched this novice rider take this sweet bike around the track I noticed that he had it completely stock and had not adjusted the shocks to his weight or riding style. He looked to be about 5ft 10inchs tall, and about 150lbs.

The thing that concerned me is when he went to take a double, (which he did not do) He landed in the center of the 2 jumps and then bounced over the second one (it was about 3ft high). I was amazed that he was doing this. I saw him do this 3 more times through out the day. I have heard that the stock shocks were stiff, but I didn't think they were this stiff.

After I went up to him and found out he had only riding this bike a few times and the one he own before this was a 300EX with limited riding expererance.

From seeing this, I'm going to guess that these shocks were strictly designed for serious MX racing and this bike should not be in the hands of inexperanced riders.

Just something I wanted to share.
    I dont know if that is from the stiffness or the rebound setting. Maybe the kid didn't know what he was doing and set the rebound way up.

the stock settings are probably set at about 250 lbs rider , I made my fronts more stiff to ballance the quad out after a good weekend of hard riding the shocks work alot better, they deffinatly need to be broke in first. I'm 190
    http://www.atvdistrict.com/members/mario a diangelo
    http://www.sponsorhouse.com/members/diangelo67
    http://maddesignsinc.shutterfly.com
    T&D Plumbing,Heating,Cooling,Utilities
    MAD Designs INC.
    walsh ltr450
    2011 sponsors, Team Media Allstars

I've had my ltr for about 3 weeks now and i've only rode it on one of my buddys backyard track 3 or 4 times. I should have my nerfs in next week so I'll be able to start racing pretty soon.

Everybodys been saying how stiff the stock shocks are and i dont think there too bad for me, im about 5'11" and weigh 175. Granted the biggest jump on his track is only a 50 foot double but the suspension felt pretty good to me. I overshot the double pretty good a few times just to see what would happen and as long as you land back wheels first its pretty smooth. When i get my first chance on a real track im still going to try adjusting it a little softer but i dont think its as bad as some people are making it sound.

It's awesome through the whoops too though. Just lean back, pick the front wheels up a little and keep the throttle pinned and it will skip right over them with ease.
    2006 LT-R450
    Yoshimura RS-5 Slip On
    Jet-Hot Coated Stock Head Pipe
    CP 13.5-1 Piston
    Hotcams Stage 2
    Powercommander
    Uni Air Filter
    Magura Hydraulic Clutch
    GT Thunder Rebuilt Shocks
    ITP QuadCross MX PRO's on Hipers
    Houser +1 Stem
    CV4 Yellow Rad Hoses
    Tag Railer Skidplate
    Turner Fat Bars
    Pillowtop Grips
    DMP Graphics/Seat
    DFR Grip It Kit

MySpace- www.myspace.com/jstunkel

GOTFEAR is offline Lifes a gamble just do it
    kids do the dangest things
    2001 LSR no link t-pin custom axis shocks f/r trx250r frame moded for crf450r and custom swinger awesome.. If you cant stand tha pain Midas well get out tha Game

Originally posted by diangelo#67
    the stock settings are probably set at about 250 lbs rider , I made my fronts more stiff to ballance the quad out after a good weekend of hard riding the shocks work alot better, they deffinatly need to be broke in first. I'm 190
    Where do you come up with this stuff?
    A 250 rider is a fatty. This is a race bike, racers aren't fatties. They weigh usually between 140-190 - Average male adult weight is around 175. Why would you say the shocks are set up for a 250lb lineman? No true at all.
    They feel stiff because you probably aren't pushing the bike to it's potential. The bike is made to go fast, as for the shock settings.
    ATV INSIDER MAGAZINE - Your #1 Source for ATV Racing coverage!
    Visit www.atv-insider.com to subscribe today!

www.myspace.com/gorilladesigns

Originally posted by KWAD GAWD

They feel stiff because you probably aren't pushing the bike to it's potential. The bike is made to go fast, as for the shock settings.
    I totally agree with this statement. My riding buddies say the same thing about the front shocks on my quad, that they are very stiff to them, but I ride alot harder and faster than them and the shocks are fine for my riding style. A faster more aggressive riding style requires stiffer shock settings.

Originally posted by KWAD GAWD
    Where do you come up with this stuff?
    A 250 rider is a fatty. This is a race bike, racers aren't fatties. They weigh usually between 140-190 - Average male adult weight is around 175. Why would you say the shocks are set up for a 250lb lineman? No true at all.
    Dang, that's just not cool to say. Most guys that weight that much are not all fat or have a high body fat content. I just got out of the army and I was 235lbs. And I wasn't fat.
    What about guys that are over 6' 2" or taller? I know a lot of guys that race that are very tall. They are no were close to being fat, but they are close to or over 250lbs.
    For you to generalize that all men that are 250lbs are fat is way off. Next time you better think before you write something, it could offend a lot of people that come to this site.
    New ride
    Suzuki LTR 450
    White

Sold but not forgotten
    2004 Honda 400EX

Attached Images Attached Images

All he needs to do is adjust the shocks. The rear is super adjustable and can go really soft. Im 130lbs and the rear is how i want it. Turn the compression down and it softens up a lot. the fronts still are a little stiff. im probably going to have them redone by tcs when they get the springs in.
    2006 Lt-r450
    Yoshimura products

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast