Thread: Rancher ?

Rancher ?

My Buddy has a 400 AT Rancher and when he has in auto going up a hill it keeps slipping into neutral on him..he has to come to a complete stop in order for it to kick back in on it...any ideas what it could be??????
    yfz450 sparks full pipe
    trx 90 106cc monster cam
    big gun..works front and back..DG nerfs..

If I had to guess I would say the tranny is going out. My buddy got one and went through 4 trannies and 3 motors before Honda bought it back.
    2004 Grizzly with 24" ground clearance

For pictures and videos check out http://www.atvmudmania.com

,wow,I thought I was the only one that had that problem with my 400 rancher when I had,but I solved that problem by tradin that damn thing in for a 400ex.But yeah,that happend to me like 5 or 6 times on one trip,but that was enough for me to get rid of it
    -2007 450r
    Maxxis Razor 2
    Tusk Pro Peg Nerfbars
    Billetanium Steering Stabilizer
    Motoworks Exhaust

-2002 black 300ex
    Maxxis Razor 1

-2006 honda rancher 400AT
    200lb winch
    mud bug tires

-2004 honda rancher 350
    1500lb winch

Problem is the tranny can't keep up and has way too much strain on it. Tends to wear them out real fast...

wonder why honda made the tranny on the at so weak were i got a rancher 2000 es 4x4 and i have pulled people up hills.

One time we pulled a Bronco up a slight grade with a 250 Timberwolf, but I still maintain it’s weak as all get out.

Fact of the matter is that if you are going to leave stock tires on the bike and just trail ride you might be alright, but it’s not anything you want to slap oversized tires on or go pulling around huge loads with.

My buddy bought a 400AT, slapped some 28” Outlaws on it, blew several transmission, several motors, and finally Honda bought it back. He is now the proud owner of a Polaris 700.

no 350 is made to run 28s really and the at bikes seem like thier more of a sport bike then a ut. My 2000 ex 4x4 pulled logs outa woods last summer we thought it woulnnt budge and note i got hardly no tread left on my tires. Suprised us it did that.

Originally posted by bal3wolf
    wonder why honda made the tranny on the at so weak were i got a rancher 2000 es 4x4 and i have pulled people up hills.
    The reason is because you don't have the Hondamatic trans found in the 400at's. You have regular shift forks and drums that lock instead of a car-like trans that has friction plates.
    2003 TRX650FA - HareScrambles quad, MudBuster cam, LRD exhaust, ATR's, weight removed.

'04 450R- A lot of modified parts