Thread: help with choices

help with choices

I'm considering a 500 class atv. I've narrowed my choices to either a Honda Rubicon 500 or a Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI. We want to use it for trail riding but also to the dunes like twice a year. Which one would be my better choice and why? Any help you guys can give would be great. Thank you.

If you like to stay low and slow the Rubicon is the choice. They are strong bikes, but a little on the slow side and not much GC either. Riding dunes a SRA might be an advantage though.

I do straight mud riding so my choice would obviously be the Polaris, but you ride different terrain than me so I would probably say the Honda for an SRA.
    2004 Grizzly with 24" ground clearance

For pictures and videos check out http://www.atvmudmania.com

look at the new 450 Woverine... a sport quad with floor boards, an auto tranny, & 4 X 4....
    2002 ( now ) 750cc Prairie... to many mods & tires to list here...

If you're not making dust, You're eating dust...

The rubicon would be great for what you want to do.
    2008 Can Am DS450
    PRM Baja Bumper and Skid

2007 Honda Rincon 680
    Fuel Injected
    ITP Mudlites
    Hopefully some more goodies soon

1986 Honda ATC 250SX
    Knobby tires all-round
    otherwise.................... STOCK

Rubicon 4 sure
    2001 400ex,wiseco 440 kit, hotcam stage 2, lrd pro series, uni, AC blackline pro peg nerfs with heelguards,lonestar billet axle carrier,gforce axle, rear beadlocks, maier carbon scoop, pro taper contour bars, Lonestar chrome steering stem,omf scoops, revalved 450r shocks, aluminum airbox, holeshot mxr6 all way around, +2 +1 bugard chrome arms, 450r carb.

polaris is a hard 4 wheeler to work on

i hade a 02 honda rubicon and it was great top speed was 62 red lined

Go with the new rubicon its tranny is five times stronger than any machine out on the market and u can have it in auto or manual. Dont rely on a stupid rubber band to haul u around.

Originally posted by 440exking
    Go with the new rubicon its tranny is five times stronger than any machine out on the market and u can have it in auto or manual. Dont rely on a stupid rubber band to haul u around.

AMEN!!!!

I have seen the Rubicon transmission destroyed several times. If you want to ride serious stuff it will need maintenance just like any other transmission. You blow up your Rubicon transmission you are looking at several thousand dollars to fix it. I blow up my stupid “rubber band” I’ll have about $100 to fix it.

Not to mention the fact that I can take my grizzly, slap 29.5” Outlaws on it and turn them with ease. Put the same tires on a Rubicon and that “awesome” transmission won’t turn the tires…Don’t know how you get that it’s so much stronger because it’s proven that the CVT delivers the power more efficiently to the ground. Why do you think everyone but Honda is using them?? Probably because Honda is too stubborn to get with the times and use a more efficient and lower maintenance system.
    2004 Grizzly with 24" ground clearance

For pictures and videos check out http://www.atvmudmania.com