Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: TRX vs. LTR 450 Power.

TRX vs. LTR 450 Power.

First off, I am not trying to pick a fight with anyone, I just want to get your guys' opinion.

I have had 2 TRX450R's, an 04 and 05. I sold me 04 recently, and am in the market for a new bike. The Zuke looks real attractive, but I am concerned about the power output. I ride the gambut of styles that our sport offers. I race TT, XC, and occasionly I will ride MX. My new bike would be more of a playbike that could be raced on the XC or MX track. I have seen some postings from HMF that say the LTR makes 41-43 horsepower with the Cherry Bomb kit, Pipe, and Power tuning. I know that an 06 450 r makes 46hp with an HRC kit. I know that Horsepower isn't everything, but what do you guys think. Have any of you guys transferred from a Honda to the Suzuki? What are your opinions. I could get an 06r out the door for 5700. If I put an axle, a-arms, and the HRC kit, I would be around the same price as a LTR. I just don't know which one I want. If I go to the Suzuki shop, I lean towars the LTR. I rode a stock 06r yesterday, and now I am leaning towards it. Any help would be appreciated.

Also, how are the brakes on the LTR? I love the Honda's brakes. It is hard me to ride a Yamaha agressively in the woods because I do not like the brakes. Do the LTR's brakes compare?
    2004 450R (Play/XC Bike)
    2005 450R (JB/Rossier/Elka TT Bike)

Jenson Roberts #331 - We Miss You REST IN PEACE

This is an hosnest acount after having my LTR for a week, here goes.

after a 40$ investment in a cherry bomb w/ lid off and baffle removed. power edge is completely better than my buddys piped, filtered 05R which i've ridden quite a bit. we have raced in sand and dirt LTR wins by at least 4 lengths on a 500 yard drag.
    tranny gearing is pretty similar. LTRs 1st is a little lower than the R, thats the only diffrence i can tell so far.
    Handling isn't even close. LTR by far is the better handler of the two.
    brakes are supprisingly pretty close. the R may have a very slight advantage but not much. very similar feel.
    I would be a little worried about trail riding with this thing for one reason. the ground clearance at the swingarm is really low(set up for MX + 18" tires). if you come accross any rutted out trails you will get hung up on the swing arm. and if you do start dragging the swingarm then you would run the risk of screwing up your disc and sprocket, because there is not a ton of armor under the swingarm.
    I had the same decision as you a few weeks ago. went with the LTR because I felt that there was more potental in this machine than the R. the EFI end is what sold me. but its all up to you. you almost cant lose both are great machines.

Have a '06trx w/hrc and a ltr. Have had the ltr in sand for about 7 days total. Other people that have ridden them both think that the '06 trx w/hrc kit has slightly more power than the ltr but everybody likes the ltr better because of the bike setup and power delivery. We haven't raced them together but I think the power on the ltr is deceptive. It has a very smooth and strong power delivery that starts just off idle and keeps going. No low speed motor clunking like the Honda and Yamaha. Of all our quads my wife & I prefer the Suzuki. Stock it's wide, stable, the lightest thumb throttle I've ever used and easy to ride.
    '87 250r - '88 250r - '89 250r
    '04 yfz 450 / full race
    '04 trx 450
    '06 trx 450 w/ hrc
    '06 ltr 450 - uncorked w/ cb

Originally posted by PrarieWolf
    This is an hosnest acount after having my LTR for a week, here goes.

after a 40$ investment in a cherry bomb w/ lid off and baffle removed. power edge is completely better than my buddys piped, filtered 05R which i've ridden quite a bit. we have raced in sand and dirt LTR wins by at least 4 lengths on a 500 yard drag.
    tranny gearing is pretty similar. LTRs 1st is a little lower than the R, thats the only diffrence i can tell so far.
    Handling isn't even close. LTR by far is the better handler of the two.
    brakes are supprisingly pretty close. the R may have a very slight advantage but not much. very similar feel.
    I would be a little worried about trail riding with this thing for one reason. the ground clearance at the swingarm is really low(set up for MX + 18" tires). if you come accross any rutted out trails you will get hung up on the swing arm. and if you do start dragging the swingarm then you would run the risk of screwing up your disc and sprocket, because there is not a ton of armor under the swingarm.
    I had the same decision as you a few weeks ago. went with the LTR because I felt that there was more potental in this machine than the R. the EFI end is what sold me. but its all up to you. you almost cant lose both are great machines.

Good honest reply.. I feel the same way..
    08 LTR450
    You lick'em and Ill stick'em
    NO WIMPS!!

It seems like if you put a set of A-arms and an Axle under an 06R, they would be too close to call, am I correct in assuming this? I have had such good luck with my Honda's, but then again, my dad has had good luck with his Z400. I feel lucky to be in the predicamat that I am in because a couple of years ago, the big decision was between the 400's. I can't wait till all the manufacturers have their 450's out. It would be awesome if the ATV side starts getting the development like the Motorcross bikes do. Another thing that adds to drama is that my friend/sponsor owns the Honda shop in town, and he would be upset if I rode anything other than red. Oh well, I am just excited about the possibilities. Thanks for your input guys. Keep them coming.
    2004 450R (Play/XC Bike)
    2005 450R (JB/Rossier/Elka TT Bike)

Jenson Roberts #331 - We Miss You REST IN PEACE

it will take more than an axel and arms to compete.you would need to go to long travel a arms plus get a good set of shocks to be in the same category.i had a set of axis on my last quad and the difference between thos and my ltr are small.so plan on putting about 2000 - 2500 in the front of the r to get it up to par.plus your axel and hrc kit.

if you are on a close budget and want the best bang for your buck i say ltr but if you wanna keep a friend and a sponsor that is gonna give you good deals and save money in the long run than go with the honda.

Was in a oval race (first time) this weekend 2 LTR as well. dunno what was done to them. Pull well not as good as expected. but handles very well that can make up for any loss off power. For anything other than mx or oval racing I would say no. for me personally the front is not attractive but rear is good looking. But like most it will grow on me. Maybe own one in 2 -3 years when it has proven itself, could become the new benchmark in mx quads. To me its personal taste all three runners are good quads and up to rider input to make it a winner

haha, i smoked a suzuki today.
    For every good post, there are 5 bad. If you remember that you will be fine

Exriders.com

myspace/dave450r

you can ask any a class rider that has ridden or own's one and he will tell you that the stock ltr shocks will beat you up and down compared to axis shocks. lets be realistic now. if he doesn't he's lyin or don't know any better. quit dreamin farrar.
    jb/pep-trx450r
    2007 sponsors
    Smith Optics,Regina,M2R,Twin Air,ASV Inventions,Tag Metals,Engine Ice,RB Components,Dp Brakes,Race Signs,SFB Racing,Powermadd, kenda

The LTR front shocks may be good for sand or mx but way oversprung for XC or trail! rear adjusts up nicely! Just take out all preload, and soften compression! GT Thunder has a link available also!
    The throttle is way too quick- makes it hard to control!
    Brent Sturdivant

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast