Thread: Skid Plate or No Skid Plate?

Skid Plate or No Skid Plate?

I'm buying a stock 01' 400 EX and going to the Land Between the Lakes in a few weeks, also I will go to the Badlands frequently this summer. Mostly trail riding and some MX course for fun. Is a skid plate needed? Is the risk that a small rock will bounce up and crack the engine case? How about the swing arm, whats at risk without it?

Thanks in advance for patience with the newbie questions.

I believe the 01 400ex stock has a metal swingarm plate. Mine had one on it when i bought it. If it doesnt have one or has a plastic one it would be a good investment. You protect the one you love lol
    Rooster#20
    2002 406ex
    dyno jet kit
    wb e-series slip on
    wb powerfilter
    black handgaurds
    ebc brakes

i replaced my plastic swing arm skid with an aluminum one.the stocker had a metal piece on it under the rotor that got bent and hit the rotor on thefirst ride.i also have lower arm skids on thefront only cuz where i ride hada ton or rocks from small tohuge.it would suck to get stuck on a rock with the lower arms.im also gonna get a skid for the chassis under the engine.no chances of arock grabbing an open area on the bikesandstopping me or breaking something.
    2005 TRX400EX
    DG swingarm skid plate,moose raceing nerf bars.hole shots front and rear with ITP wheels,powermadd handgaurds,A-arm skid plates,

my truck:
    1995 ford F350 crew cab dually,powerstroke diesel,auto trans,fully loaded and highly modified!!runs the1/4 mile at a bestof 15.07 seconds so far

IMO skidplates are well worth teh money. on the swingarm it keeps you sprocket and rotor from being bent by rocks and any other trail hazzard. on the engine, i figure it is worth spending teh money on a skid rather have to replace teh engine cases. there is a small chance your engine may be damaged with out one, but it is worht it to me just for that extra bit of security. i always run the on the frame and teh swingarm nomatter where i ride at.
    Tyler Jones

2000 426EX, 11:1 wiseco, hot cams stage 3 "stroker" cam, Ported head done by Dr. G, FCR 41, Hot rods crank, running no base gasket, 1 layer of 3 layer head gasket, Klotz 113 race fuel Feather carbon smoothie hood, works tripples w/ressies, Black HMF slip on, AC pro peg nerfs, Azonic fat bars, burgaurd +1 1/4" swinger, Lonestar +1 stem, douglas yellow label front wheels, Pro Armor front bumper, + some others goodies

AIM: Fourtrax426

Holeshot Motorsports Wilder, KY
    for all aftermarket parts

I broke my stock skid on my 05 after a few rides. The bummer was, it decided to shatter on the first day of a riding trip in WV. On the 2nd day I caught a rock pretty good in a creek and bent my brake rotor, so I had to ride the following two days with front brakes only.

I invested a little more in a stainless swingarm skid.

for trails, get at least a .250" thick swinger...one of them is cheaper than repeatedly buying a $100 rotor and another $100 or so chain and sprocket set. for a "belly pan", any thinkness will do, but it is also a "must have", just a little bit less of a "must"

how much about does a full skid set cost for decent ones???
    "Ride Hard, Ride Fast, or Be Passed"

2008 Can-Am DS450x
    HMF Full Exhaust
    Pink Wire Cut/ No Lid
    Yellow Grill

2003 416ex Pc'd Black & Red
    too many parts to list

?

Definitely get a skip plate. At Land b/w the lakes if you take the trail that goes around the lake you are sure to break a tooth off your sprocket. Were supposed to be up there Feb. 11th
    2006 LTR 450
    Power Commander, Cherry Bomb, Fuel Atv Airbox eliminator, Full Dasa Pipe, and 12/38 gearing, Hipers on all 4s w/ Razr 2s tires, GT Thunder XC a-arms, GT Linkage, HLS Shocks, Pro Armor- powergrip pegs, nerfs, and heel guards. Pro Armor- grab bar, bumper, and kill switch. Flexx Bars, Precision Stabilizer, BLingstar radiator guard, Cyrca handguards, Fuelatv gripper seat, Hot Cam(intake only)
    Soon to Come: 08 throttle body, and High Comp piston. And hope fully a dyno tune for the PC.

i have full D.G. baja armor and i just ordered full laser cut D.G. armor both are worth every penny knowing that you can land from a jump on a rock or skate over one with out getting off and looking to see an "uht oh" lol