Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FINALLY..... & Fact Finding Report

FINALLY..... & Fact Finding Report

I posted this on another Suzuki R450 web site, and they seemd to like it, so since I'm a memeber here I thought I would give it a shout out.

Hey Members,
    I Just wanted to let everyone know I picked up mine late Friday night. A white one. Spent all day Saturday working on it. I'm going to give you guys my findings report, not a ride report. I will be heaping praise, and giving criticism, when warranted. By the way, I'm not going to get into a debate with any 14 year olds out there. These are just my opinions. I've been racing, and riding Suzukis for the past 30 years. Doesn't make me an expert, just old, LOL. I'm 47. I'll be going Clint Eastwood on you guys. The good, the bad, and the ugly. My opening statement will shock most members, but read the report, it's all good! I brought it over to my friends house on Saturday, he has a 70 hp Raptor, two 450R's an 04, and 06, various other quads, a Rhino, and a 40 foot WW trailer. I trust his judgment. I already own a 05 Z400. We all took it for a road spin around a half mile loop at his house. My first impression was "Did I make a mistake?" This wasn't much faster, or stronger than my Z with a full Ti Yoshi system on it. He rode it, and said "Maybe we need to regear", his son rode it and laughed and said "My R is faster". I was disappointed to say the least. Hang on guys it will get better!!
    The Good - First off, I didn't get screwed by the dealer on price. I didn't get the great price the Oklahoma members are getting 6,500, and I didn't pay what other people are paying, anywhere from 9,000 to 11,000 from what I've read. Mine was 7,900 OTD here in southern AZ. First off just sitting on it feels good. The tank/seat junction is basically the same width as the Z. Not as skinny as the YZF, but if you like the Z, you'll like this. The seat is firmer, and thicker, but very comfy. Good stuff! The controls were all spot on, and had no problems with starting with the FI. As soon as you sit on the quad, it squats down nice and low, more good stuff. Shifting was great, like each gear was notch on the shift cogs. Not bad notchy, very good notchy, you felt the gears drop into place. I've heard that the suspension is stiff, but I go 6'2", and 225, so it should suit me well. You guys will be interested to know that Z parts will fit. I started to cannibalize my Z just for measurements, and realized that. I have a Yoshi front bumper on my Z, fit right on the Quadracer. So did my IMS kicker pegs, although they do tilt forward ever so slightly, sort of the attack position. I like it. My Yoshi fat grab bar did not fit. The stock bar has the rear fender bracketry, and light assembly welded to it. It's staying for now. First thing to go was the light, easy one screw off, then another for the bracket. OK guys here comes the good, no great part. Wanted to remove the "pea shooter". Tells you how in the manual 5-37 for cleaning it, but it's easy. What shocked me was the spark arrestor. When I pulled it out, the unit was about 6 inches long wire mesh, with an inch long solid metal cap around the end of it. Can you imagine? Picture the exhaust flowing through the pipe only to stop dead at that spot, seep around go through the mesh, then out the little opening. I put it back together, and took another spin. All I can say was OMG. Just taking that out woke up this animal like you couldn't believe. My friend took it out and said forget the regear, did you just get another quad? His son that laughed at me rode it, came back in and wouldn't talk to me, enough said! I figure for some type of legalities Suzuki had to stuff the exhaust. I'm telling everyone this should be your first mod. I'm not saying ride without a spark arrestor, I'm already trying to incorporate a screen, just try this. I can't even begin to imagine what a full Yoshi system will do to this motor.
    The Bad - I know you guys will hate me, but you "JUST" can't take off the heel guards. Removing the heel guards, and bracketry takes away all support. The fenders are too flimsy, and will crack within minutes of riding, IMO. I spent roughly 2 to 3 hours cutting down, and then reshaping and smoothing with a dremel what was left of the brackets. I will spray them with some Krylon, LOL. It's the only thing you can do, until someone like IMS gets the pegs out, and will have the fender brackets with it, like they did with the Z. I'm still not all that crazy about gearing either. It's geared tall, too tall for the sand. The only problem is the bolt pattern is not like the Z, it appears to be Honda - like. I will tell more after next weekend. that's what I'll be doing next.
    The Ugly - What in the world was Suzuki thinking when they were welding these quads. I mean it looks like "backyard welding 101" LOL. In fact I've seen better welding in backyards! Other members can back me up but it's a crying shame to see the welds all over the heel guard bracketry, and the pipe. There are weld strips that run off the muffler onto the pipe that look like a tiger paw raked a piece of meat. LOL. I know that Suzuki is rushing these out to meet demand, but we as customers are paying good money for a quality product. We deserve better, IMO.
    I will try to post some "after" pictures next weekend when I get my brackets, and paddles on. I am a dune rider only (Glamis) so I don't have ant thoughts about track usage. I will be going to Glamis for the entire President's week. I will then have a full ride report. My final thoughts are this, this quad's the real deal, no matter what you have to pay for it. I couldn't be happier, and I think Suzuki hit a home run. When aftermarket parts become available, it will only make this quad better. Sorry for such a long post. Hope you enjoyed what I thought was an indepth look at the R450 from my thoughts. As the saying goes "That's my story, and I'm sticking to it"

Scott

That's a great post w/ some very good info. Seems like Suzuki did their homework on this bike. Congrats to all present and future R450 riders
    If it'll run... I'm ridin'!!!

http://home.earthlink.net/~hotscott03/

Sons:
    Jhamir "JAM" Scott #320
    KX85

Sponsors:
    Firepower Minis Motors
    Pirelli
    Artistic Apparel
    Smith Optics
    Athena
    DeCal Works
    PitPosse
    AGV Helmets
    Signs A Rama (Lakeland)
    ASV Inventions
    Dirtyfoot Adventures
    O'Neal USA
    TwinAir
    OneNation Extreme
    R1R Performance
    C4 Suspension

Great stuff Scott, thanks for sharing. Now if they will ever make it to the damn east coast so i can have my white one that im first in line for

No real hurry but the suspense is killing me. I just hate being a rider living on the east coast some times.....alot of times actually
    Sold the LTR and kept my TRX! Tells you which one i liked better

When is somebody gonna ride this thing on a motocross track???? Stop going to sand dunes and get on the track!!!
    2005 YFZ 450
    Gibson frontend
    Gibson swingarm
    Gibson steering stem
    Custom Axis Shocks
    Holeshot MXR tires
    LRD Pipe

GOD IS #1

The Perfect Day. You know, when you buckle your boots and slide your goggles on and things just feel right.... You take those first laps of practice and the tires are finding the berms easier, the bike feels faster, and your body feels stronger. You're in the zone, the Sweet Spot, and you can do no wrong!

Originally posted by MXRACER86
    When is somebody gonna ride this thing on a motocross track???? Stop going to sand dunes and get on the track!!!
    I hear that!! MX RULZ!!

Originally posted by 370kingR
    Great stuff Scott, thanks for sharing. Now if they will ever make it to the damn east coast so i can have my white one that im first in line for

No real hurry but the suspense is killing me. I just hate being a rider living on the east coast some times.....alot of times actually
    Gary,
    I thought you guys back east were getting them first! My dealer is supposed to have one next week. I wanted you to have some seat time before i have to decide on one!
    04 TRX 510r Pinnit / Walshracecraft
    86 esr 330pv lrd alum. frame
    89 CBR 900rr powered lt 500
    06 Raptor 700
    06 Raptor 700

Very good report. I didn't notice any poor welds anywhere tho, except for the foot guard frames (still had carbon marks from the tig welder looked like hand done, pipe looked like it was machine welded). Great honest assessment.
    04 Roll Designs Lobo II
    06 Suzuki LT-R450
    87 Suzuki LT500
    86 Suzuki LT250

Suzukiquadracerhq.com

Very good report. I didn't notice any poor welds anywhere tho, except for the foot guard frames (still had carbon marks from the tig welder). Great honest assessment.
    04 Roll Designs Lobo II
    06 Suzuki LT-R450
    87 Suzuki LT500
    86 Suzuki LT250

Suzukiquadracerhq.com

Thanks tanman. I'm sure you have already seen it, but yosh is selling something they call a cherry bomb (Coaxial Relay Bypass Module -CRBM) for the LTR. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but the LTR has two built in fuel maps. Suzuki can't advertise this but installing this "Cherry bomb" with maximize the fuel injection mapping. With this mod you can open the air box, open your exhaust as you have, and run a little race gas and get a 7 horse peak gain they claim. Additional power will come with their's or others aftermarket exhaust also. The cherry bomb retails for $39.95 and they seem to have a few left- I just ordered five. I would be careful running these mods without accessing this fuel map. My Suzuki rep says says the fuel injection will not compensate Hope this helps.

Just got my cherry bomb delivered today. Now if I just had an LTR to put it on.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast