Thread: Swing-Arm Bolt Stuck? Honda's Prevention Tip!

Thumbs up Swing-Arm Bolt Stuck? Honda's Prevention Tip!

How many of you have heard the Horror Stories about Frozen Swing-Arm Pivot Bolts freezing up, preventing removal of the engine, Swing-arm and the resulting carnage that follows?

Why do the bolts get frozen, and how do you prevent it from happening to you?

Well, the obvious answer is to keep the area maintained properly, keep it greased, and free of dirt and water. Sounds really simple and it is if you are into removing the bolt all the time. There has to be a better way right........read on!

The reason the bolt gets frozen in the first place is from a lack of lubrication. The swing-arm pivot is one of the most important areas on the Quad, it is after all the main pivot point for the rear suspension, the load on this bolt is very high, and it is constantly moving. Add a little water, some dirt, maybe some sand into the mix, and well we all know the end result, bust out the cutting torch, hack saws and any other cutting device you find fit, after of course you have already tried pounding it out with a sledge hammer, probably bending the frame in the process.

When not properly maintained, the bolt and metal collars that it slides through will begin to rust. The metal collars and the bolt fuse together, and that is why it cannot be removed.

I have a solution, and it is much cheaper than the $60.00 stainless bolt that some shops are selling.

Go down to your local hardware store and pick up the following:

1/8" NPT Standard Grease Fitting (Zerk Fitting)

5/16" 24 Allen Cap Screw (Set Screw)

5/64" Drill Bit

You will also need access to a drill press, tap and die set and have a grease gun.

Take the Stock pivot bolt, drill and tap both ends. You will tap the threaded end for the cap Screw and the other end for the Zerk/ Grease fitting.

After you have the ends tapped, you will need to drill 6 holes through the bolt using the 5/64" bit.

Starting from the unthreaded side of the bolt, starting under the flange on the head of the bolt, measure 3/4" and drill one hole all the way through the bolt, do another at 3", another at 7" and the last at 9 1/4".

Rotate the bolt 90 degrees, and then drill two more holes through the bolt, one at 1 7/8" and another at 8 1/8".

After you have drilled all the holes, de burr all the holes, then clean the inside of the bolt to remove all the metal shavings.

Now coat the threads of the cap screw and Zerk fitting with a good sealant, such as RTV or what I prefer, Honda Bond which is available from your local Honda Dealer.

Thread the cap screw, and Grease fitting into the end of the bolt and tighten.

Reinstall the modified bolt onto your ATV and using a grease gun, fill the bolt with grease.

http://www.digistash.com/data/820e69...69_p103599.jpg

http://www.digistash.com/data/820e69...69_p103600.jpg

http://www.digistash.com/data/820e69...69_p103601.jpg

http://www.digistash.com/data/820e69...69_p103602.jpg

http://www.digistash.com/data/820e69...69_p103604.jpg

Now you have no excuses not to keep that bolt lubed up. Lubing the bolt is as easy as grabbing the grease gun, and pumping her full of lube! This method will also prevent any water or foriegn debri from getting access to the pivot area, because it allows you to fill the entire void with grease.
    2004 TRX 450R: HRC KIT, Hiper Technology Front and Rear Wheels, Hiper Mud Covers, ITP Holeshot GNCC Tires (22/7-10 F & 20/11-9 R), ASV Rotator Clamp (F/Brake), Magura Hydraulic Clutch Kit, Hinson Clutch Cover, Lonestar E-Brake Block Off Plate, Sidewinder Chain and Sprockets, Duncan Case Saver, Pro-Design Kill Switch, DG Fat Series Belly Plate, Curtis Sparks Filter Kit, HMF QRS Exhaust System, Outerwear Filter cover, Acerbis Rally II Hand Gaurds, Pro Graph-X Number Plates, ARS-FX + 2" Steering Stem, Precision Steering Stabilizer, Fasst Flexx Bars, Scott Huricane Grips, QuadTech Carbon Hood, QuadTech Carbon Rear Brake Resovoir Gaurd, PRM Baja Grab Bar, Pro Armor Pro XC Bumper, ARS-FX Long Travel XC Swing-Arm and Shock Linkage, GoodRidge USA Braided Front and Rear Brake Line, Custom Axis Rear Shock, ARS-FX Long Travel XC Front End, Custom Axis Triple Adjust Remote Resovoir Front Shocks w/ Titanium Springs, Pro Armor Fat Peg Nerf Bars, IMS Oversize Fuel Tank w/ Dry Break.

Special Thanks to Tyler and MSI Racing, Tim Brady and Custom Axis Racing Shocks, Scott Owens and Scott U.S.A

OMA Nationals Pro Rider #33

swinger bolt

good pic and design.

Thumbs up

Been doing it for years now and it works great.
    2001 Honda 416SS with a powerbong

that modifaction is great, but we have still seen the collars freeze to the bolt. we molycoat EVERYTHING along with that mod and now we sleep much better at night
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Staff Photographer ATVRiders.com
    Senior Photographer ATVInsider
    Staff Photographer GNCC Racing/ATV MX
    Staff Photographer Vurboffroad
    Staff Photographer Cycle News

I've done it too but I've found that grease likes to take the path of least resistence therefore the first set of holes the grease comes to get greased well but the ones at the opposite end don't get nearly as much. So what I did was grease one end then swap the fitting and the plug from either end and grease again.
    OhioMafiaRiders.com
    03 Z400: HMF, Magura, PRM, Gusseted and PCed frame, Maxxis, Fasst Flexx, Lonestar, Elka

Originally posted by Pappy
    that modifaction is great, but we have still seen the collars freeze to the bolt. we molycoat EVERYTHING along with that mod and now we sleep much better at night
    I just bought a new swinger bolt and will be shipping it your way this week....
    2001 Honda 416SS with a powerbong

Marysville, OH Northern Cambria, PA (hometown)
    pappy moly coated mine on my old 400ex and after a year of hard riding i pushed it out with my pinky finger!
    2009 Cbr600RR Phoenix

WE ARE PENN STATE!!!!!!

glad to hear it tommy, ive been getting good feedback on this process. combine it with the grease zerk and im pretty sure we have this problem kikk'd up!

send it rico...you still have my WV adress
    Staff Photographer ATVRiders.com
    Senior Photographer ATVInsider
    Staff Photographer GNCC Racing/ATV MX
    Staff Photographer Vurboffroad
    Staff Photographer Cycle News