Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: blew my second trans

blew my second trans

on tuesday night i blew my trans during practice for the second time. i was wondering if anybody makes extra strength gears or something better then stock. any input is appreciated.

Thanks, Mark

what kinda quad.
    01' Honda 400ex
    440 kit 11:1 piston
    Hotcams stage 2
    Port/Polish
    Uni Filter with airlid hole filters
    Elka triple rate front shocks
    Elka Rear Dual Rate Conversion
    DG nerfs
    HMF Full System w/ Blue can
    Tinner Scoops
    Terry cable throttle
    Powermadd Handguards
    Full Frame Guards
    Full Skid Plates
    Powder Coat Orange Frame/ Yellow plastic

what exactly do you mean by "blew your trans" are gears shattering or what ???

its a mx 440ex. when i mean blew i mean that second or third gear has dropped to the bottom of the case because it broke in half.

I only have 3 thoughts come to mind....
    #1 - You're shifting without the clutch. In that case, start using the clutch. This may seem a bit silly, but some people insist on doing full-power upshifts without using the clutch or chopping the throttle.
    #2 - The first time could have been a freak accident or maybe previous owner abuse if you bought the quad used. Something that was slightly damaged could have been over-looked when it was fixed and that led to the second failure.
    #3 - Second gear is a known weak spot in some EXs and it happens to be one of the most used and abused gears. You might just be the unlucky guy who had two failures instead of just one.

As far as I know, no one makes stronger gearsets for the EX, but I could be wrong.
    1999 400EX
    2003 Foreman 450S
    2006 CRF450R

FYI i do use the clutch. i find it dunb not to use it. thanks for the info though

I know there are "stronger" gears out there, no idea who makes them though, sorry.
    94 4trax 300 4x4 01 MXZ 700 01 400ex 86 250R

no offence at all but definately doesnt sseem like a gear problem, definately rider, or possibly installation error, i've installed a 3 2nd gears in 3 different quads did em all the same and one still broke, with an experienced rider, im not sure why yet, we're assuming there could be some sort of bind between them

you could by a new gear set and send it off to pappy for moly coating just to a alittle durability to them, i dont really know if it would work but im sure pappy could tell you if moly coating them would be benificial.
    64,999,987 firearm owners killed no one yesterday.

Originally posted by sixer3
    no offence at all but definately doesnt sseem like a gear problem, definately rider, or possibly installation error, i've installed a 3 2nd gears in 3 different quads did em all the same and one still broke, with an experienced rider, im not sure why yet, we're assuming there could be some sort of bind between them
    what kind of riding do they do? because i race motocross and the trans went out while going through a long whoop section and i think the strain from the whoops is what pushed the gears to there limit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast