Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: adjusting throttle

Question adjusting throttle

hey i heard that hte factory doesnt adjust the throttle ccable so you get full throttl.i was wondering how to adjust acble right.

1. Pull back the rubber boot from the throttle cable (where the cable goes into the throttle housing on the handlebars)

2. Loosen the nut on the threaded part of the cable.

3. Put your quad in neutral and let it idle

4. Twist the threaded part of the cable left (like you are loosening it) until you hear the engine idle up. Turn the threaded part of the cable right just until the engine returns down to its normal ide.

5. Tighten the nut on the treaded part of the cable.

6. Pull the rubber boot back into place.

I don't do it the way maoz does it. I look down the carb throat. You have to take the air box boot off the carb to do it. I then push the thumb throttle all the way and see if the slide goes all the way up. If it doesn't , then I adjust the thumb throttle. Sorry if thats not clear. Just ask and I can go into more detail.
    2000 400ex 11:1 Wiseco,stage 2 Hotcam, WB R4 full exhaust,WB rev box, K&N/OW, 450r carb, no lid, +2 a-arms,Works shocks,GForce axle,chrome stem,fat bars,250r hood, brake blockoff, ASV clutch lever, race cut fender.

2003 Cr250 White plastics, V Force 3 reed cage.

could u go into more detail. I have a pretty good idea what ur sayin just wanna make sure. Thanks a lot

1. Loosen the lock nut on the throttle cable (Where the throttle cable and the the thumb throttle meet). 2. Take the seat off. 3. Disconnect air box inlet hose from the carb. 4. If you look down the throat of the carb, you will first see the choke(it has to be open). Behind the choke you will see the slide( that controls how much air comes into the engine). If you push the throttle it goes up,release the throttle and its down. You want the bottom of the slide to be flush with the top of the throat of the carb. If its not, adjust the throttle cable by screwing the adjusting bolt outward(the one in step 1 ). I borrowed this picture from knighttimes post on removing the choke which is also a nice upgrade. Thank you Knighttime.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dariusld; 06-26-2002 at 12:42 AM.
    2000 400ex 11:1 Wiseco,stage 2 Hotcam, WB R4 full exhaust,WB rev box, K&N/OW, 450r carb, no lid, +2 a-arms,Works shocks,GForce axle,chrome stem,fat bars,250r hood, brake blockoff, ASV clutch lever, race cut fender.

ok i looked through and it stiks down like 2 millimeters when at full throttle. If i adjust it to all the way when its flush wont it idle a lot higher?

When you make the adjustment, you are just taking up slack in the cable. If you touch your thumb throttle, without starting it, there is probably a little play in it. If there is no play in it, then yes it will idle really high(like your pushing the throttle). But I haven't had that problem on the 4 quads I have done. I think if you go do yours, neither will you. And if you have trouble , just ask.

ok when i adjust it i take off this boot and turn the little knob thing? Hope whoevers pic i borrowed doesnt mind
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yes. Pull back the boot, loosen the lock nut, turn the cable(the threaded part of the cable) outward till the slide is flush and then tighten the lock nut.

does a 250ex have it were you can tighten the throttle cable? does it help? what would it help TOP SPEED.???????PLEASE REPLY...... SUPER_MAN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast