Thread: 01 polaris scrambler 50, cant get it to fire??

Hybrid View

01 polaris scrambler 50, cant get it to fire??

I have a 01 polaris scrambler 50 & I cant get the thing to fire. When I pulled the plug & grounded it to the case it didnt make a spark when being turned over. Does anyone know how to test the coil to see if it is bad??? Or is there anything else I should be testing??? Ive already checked the basic wiring to make sure everything was plugged in, key & kill switch, etc...

Also there is a black plastic peice that goes down into the top of the carb with wiring coming out of it. I found a parts breakdown & I think it listed that peice as a starter plunger, what does it do??? could it cause the bike not to fire??? is there a way to test it???

Thanks!!!

that black plug thing might be an auto choke. If all else fails, clean the stator, change the plug. The stator is what makes these mini's die.
    Steve #48

2005 450r - In great shape, setup perfect for my riding style

Aim: Sjorge3442
    Email : Sjorge_3442@hotmail.com

Temple University

Can you give some more details about cleaning the stator??? Thanks!!!

you will need to go to your local polaris dealer and get a flywheel puller. The stator is on the front right side of the engine There is a black cover that needs to be removed from the Head so you can remove the one covering the fan.

After you do that remove the fan and then take out the nut in the center of the flywheel.

Then screw in your flywheel puller (reverse thread) and then remove the flywheel. You need to use a ratchet in tightening mode in order to remove it.

Just spray some degresser on the entire stator and let is soak for about 30 sec and then rinse it off.

Take some extreamly fine sand paper and lightly rub the top of each of the stator posts (i dont know what they are called...lol)

Make sure your flywheel and stator is clean and dried before re-assembeling.

To put it back together, just slip the flywheel on and then put the washer and nut on and tighten it.

Then the fan

And then the black covers.

If you do this after everytime you ride or mabey every couple times, it will run alot better.

Hope I helped you out.

Steve
    Steve #48

2005 450r - In great shape, setup perfect for my riding style

Aim: Sjorge3442
    Email : Sjorge_3442@hotmail.com

Temple University

Simple things to check would be:
    Look at the ignition coil and make sure of good/tight connections on the wires hooking to it.
    Make sure coil and cdi box is grounded.
    Next easy is: the brake switch may need by passing, just unplug it and run the 2 wires together, a faulty brake switch could easily kill the spark.
    Run the tether cord wires together bypassing it.
    That should take care of the safety switches.
    Next is the testing of the coils etc.
    You'll have to e-mail me for the instructions I could get them from the Polaris manual. wrhracing@yahoo.com or else Spike might could post a link!

Sjorge300EX, thanks for the info on the stator. I took it all apart over the weekend & it sure was dirty under there. I thought for sure cleaning it all up would make it fire but im still not having any luck.

Billy Holt, if you dont care please check your manual & see if it tells you how to test the coil. Thanks!!!

remove the plug and blow out the cylinder with air, they can flood and kinda hold the gas there and won't fire.

ho416mx

was wandering if you got quad running .i have an 01 as well we had the same problem come to find out it was the cdi box.do you have a prodesign kill switch? they will short out your stock cdi box.

hope that help's
    bob

I never got it running yet, i have a new stator for it which i think is the problem, but i just havent put it on yet. Im off on vacation all next week so im going to install it then. Im still using the factory tether switch on mine. Is there a way to test the CDI box, if so let me know & i will test it before installing the stator. Thanks!!!

scrambler 50

the only way would be find some one that has the same bike and try there's .we took one of a kasea 50 and make it work until i got one from trinity racing.

bob
    01scrambler 50 with 90cc motor
    high comp head
    hetrickracing pipe
    wheel spacers
    new plastic
    ac nerf's
    trinity racing cdi box