Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polaris Preditor 90 Thoughts

Polaris Predator 90 Thoughts

We are looking to build a 90cc mini for the GNCC Nationals. We have narrowed it down to 3 mini's. The Honda trx 90, The Kasea 90 and the 06 Polaris Predator GNCC special edition 90. The Polaris just got thrown into the picture because a local dealer is willing to sponsor him. I talked to their Mechanic about the Preditor. They said the only problem they use to have was with the stator not liking water. But they reworked this problem out in the 06 model. I like the Reverse , wich will come in handy if you may get stuck or cought in some brush. Polaris will also pay out to winners in a class in the GNCC's. Plus the mini is down right wicked looking.

I just want to know from you Predator owners your ups and down faults about them. How tough are they? Would you buy another1? And how fast and how is the lowend power. This quad will be for the limited class and you can only change the pipe and enhance the clutch with a clutch kit for more performance.
    Michael Mussi Jr #838
    07 Honda 300ex Tricked out
    2 Time GNCC National Champion
    Special Thanks to Hetrick Racing,Demotto Honda & Yamaha, Elza's cycle and atv's, Muffler,Brakes and More, K&K Customs. Teter Automotive,Engine Builder Don Sturdivant.
    The money spent on Michael's quads seem's like a million bucks.
    The smile on his face after winning the race WORTH IT !!!!

don't get the pred they are more trouble than they are worth. this is from personal experience.
    Evan Abernathy
    yes it's fast no you can't ride it
    keasyalater

For us, we have an '03 Predator 90. We use it for "around the house" and minor trail riding.

You are right stating the Pred-90 isn't very good for water / deep mud. It stator gets over loaded with crud, which retains heat in the stator area (and wire's plastic cover decay crud) and after a while, the stator does blow. I've read about Pred-90 folks who are on their 4th stator. Others say the stator isn't vented properly and over time, a clean "high heat" stator will eventually blow. And others say the electrical system on the Pred-90 is different then others (something about negative current flow) and it too makes its stator blow. In any case, I've read way too many reports about stators blowing on '03 -> '05 Pred-90 models. Not too sure if they fully fixed this problem on their '06 model. Only time will tell....

For our non-Racing environment, we had to perform many safety increase and low end power increase) mods to our '03 Pred-90. For a detailed list with online drill down pictures, surf entire post of:

http://bbs.off-road.com/ubbthreads/s.../0#Post1467874

I've also read many reports from folks who RACE Pred-90s. Many of them have great luck with this brand. Then again, constant maintenance and upgrading their base is the "norm" in their expected high maintenance environments.

If racing in hard environments such as jumping, hard cornering, etc. with the Pred-90 brand, I would recommend installing Frame Gussets, Better Shocks and stronger Swing Arm on the '03 -> '05 Pred-90s. Not too sure if they made the frame better on the '06 model. Only time will tell....

For pictures of BEFORE and AFTER Swing Arm upgrade (sorry, I can't remember the original author), surf:
    http://community.webshots.com/photo/...00656627BQmoih
    http://community.webshots.com/photo/...70409284cCvSSg

For pictures of Pred-90 Frame Gusset Installs (from Biscuit ???), surf:
    http://community.webshots.com/photo/...57840033trZeyl
    http://community.webshots.com/photo/...57840290SjrzYL
    http://community.webshots.com/photo/...57840532qXqLgq

And yes, sure wish our '03 Pred-90 had Reverse gear. It would definately be handy in our Trail and "around the house" riding areas. For racing, most folks remove their Reverse gear. Less to worry about and removing it does lighten up the mini.

Knowing what I know (and my first hand personal experience) from '03 until today, would I buy another '03 Pred-90 again? Probably not. In my region in 2003, the Pred-90 brand was the best available 2 stroke in my region. Today, many more brands are now available. For water / mud and crud, I'd focus on the Honda TRX90 model. They have sealed engine / tranny systems and thus, can handle much more water abuse. I hear the '06 TRX90 has fully running boards and electric start. Back in '03, the lack of these features turned me away from this specific brand. Today, I'd have a another look at this brand.

Hope this helps....

I looked this mini over real good in the stator area. They really did a good job on the cover to go over the fan. It is sealed completely with a snorkel going up under the fender. It looks really sealed off. I think that problem is fixed.

The reverse may be a little more weight, but it could really come in handy in the bottlenecks and getting stuck area's.

The local dealer is a good friend and parts will be given at cost if needed. The otd price is $2200. For a mini with these features. Reverse, lights,elect.start,full front push bar, Maxxis XC tires, Gripperseat,kill switch.

Evana13, What year do you have and what went wrong with yours?

I know 2 friends and they have had good sevice with theirs. But then again they are race quad. And there like me and completely service them like a baby ALL the time.

But thanks for telling me what you have had trouble with.This is what I looking for.
    Michael Mussi Jr #838
    Special Thanks to Hetrick Racing,Demotto Honda & Yamaha, Elza's cycle and atv's, Muffler,Brakes and More, K&K Customs. Teter Automotive,Engine Builder Don Sturdivant.

for a kid that just rides the back yard they are fine.

for your son, stick with a kasea or the honda
    Staff Photographer ATVRiders.com
    Senior Photographer ATVInsider
    Staff Photographer GNCC Racing/ATV MX
    Staff Photographer Vurboffroad
    Staff Photographer Cycle News

enough said! Pappy. Looks like a Honda again. I hate this I know they all have faults. The Honda is a tuff mini and is race proven by a bunch of good friends like yourself and there kids win on them.

I like the Kasea to but there isn't a dealer for miles from here.

Thanks again every1.
    Michael Mussi Jr #838

i still have that 90 here if you want a used one.
    Staff Photographer ATVRiders.com
    Senior Photographer ATVInsider
    Staff Photographer GNCC Racing/ATV MX
    Staff Photographer Vurboffroad
    Staff Photographer Cycle News

I thought about that 1. But the new electric start is a good thing on the 06 Honda and the shocks are softer. They did go to full floorboards,with the brake above the floor and the shifter above the floor so your not hooking your toes.

He said we can build it just like Borich's ride, He's always wanted a mini like his. Kids!
    Michael Mussi Jr #838

trx90 , bullet proof , dev's is a 01 and raced from new. only problems have been due to an inept machanic . i keep telling dev to fire him

We have raced the 03 Predator and the 04 Troy Lee in MX for the past three seasons. There are 6 other Predator's in our series all 90cc also. The only stator I have ever seen fail was due to someone welding on the frame with the electrical system still hooked up. I also saw that happen on an Eton. Maybe it was to much amperage on the stick welder I don't know for sure.
    We have raced in the rain and muck .
    I also wash the quads to a polish after racing , so maybe that's why we havent had any trouble.
    I wouldn't use any reverse trans machine for MX the trans dosen't seem to like hitting the ground at full thottle off a jump.
    For GNCC I agree that might be a big plus if you got stuck. But I wonder if the reverse cut's out the rpm for saftey though , that would be useless if you had to rock it to get out?.
    We have had great luck with our's , in the future I will most likely have to switch to a Kasea or maybe a Cobra or HSI.
    The need for disc brakes and better suspension is on the MX racers top list.
    Hope this helps
    2004 Eaton Mountain 4-7 90cc Champ
    2005 Ripping Racing 4-7 90cc Champ

2006 SPONSORS:
    Moose Racing, Amsoil,Smith, RK Chain, M2R Helmets, Pro Clean,RB Components

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast