Thread: 14 - Tooth

14 - Tooth

I just bought a new 400Ex and I do alot of trail riding.
    Does anyone know how much top end we lose by changing the stock 15 tooth to a 14???

Is it 2-3 mph ??

Rakaladas

I have one and I don't think it would be anymore than 3 mph
    2002 Yellow 400ex

Body
    Renthal 14 tooth, LSR e-brake block off, Speed EZ Pull Clutch Lever, Pro Design kill switch, Renthal Handle Bars, Trail Tech Speedometer, AC Pro Pegs and Bumper, Houser +2 A-Arms, Elka Tripple Rates w/ rezzies, Elka shock covers, Razr MX's front and back, douglas ultimate beadlocks, Fastline Breaklines, Lonestar Axle.

Motor
    J&E 12.5:1 piston, custom cam, valve springs, hardened rockers, race port\polish. Yoshi pipe, K&N jet kit and air filter.

STQRA Amature #6
    My Quad Site

Put the 14-tooth in, and I bet that you'll be looking for a 6th gear.

I tried it, and its great for tight trail riding when your in and out of 2nd and 3rd gear. Not good for fast open areas.
    Building a Lexus GS300/IS300 or Supra IV

2003 Cannondale Cannibal
    LE Stars & Strips (Sold)

2000 400EX (sold)
    1999 Blaster (sold)

top speed is lost.........maybe a few mph..........not enough to offset the benefits
    In memory of Christopher (Chrissy) Riley Andrews / 1-24-02 to 1-23-06
    we love you Chrissy

I was thinking the same thing...I have the stock sprockets on and I love the way I can climb all the big steep hills in second gear. If I go with the 14 tooth front, is there enough difference that I'll be shifting between second and third?? Or will I just have even more pull in second?
    SOLD
    2003 KFX400...Elka, LSR, BIGGUN, 909, AC, holeshot mx, Tamers.

Ya I guess I will be purchasing a 14 tooth, cause every second 400ex posted on this forum has one ......

It's all about balance....

2002 400ex yellow, all original but the driver

I recently bought an '02 and was surprised with the lack of power up the hills in 3rd or 2nd gear. My first mod was the 14 tooth and it helped out greatly, the bike also got stronger when fully broke in. With the mods I have listed now I can make very steep climbs in 2nd having to back off the throttle to keep the front end down. Try it and decide!
    John