Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: why the LTR450 makes sense

why the LTR450 makes sense

Forget the pros who aren't concerned about how much it costs to make a factory quad ready to race. Think about it for the average joe who just likes to go to the track and play,

no need to replace the shocks
    no need to replace the a-arms
    no need to extend the brake lines and tie-rods
    no need to replace the axle
    no need to replace the swingarm and extend the chain
    no need to replace the rear rims and tires

This is a big deal. The average guy can spend $7,200 and hit the track and be better off than ever before.

I just can't figure out why Suzuki didn't put nerfs and a killswitch on it? For that matter, why can't the manufacturers at least install some good mounts for nerfs and skids?

/Jon
    Operator of South Fork Competition Park near Richmond, VA.
    www.southforkmx.com or "Like" South Fork Competition Park on Facebook.
    2013 CRF450R
    2006 TRX450R

Re: why the LTR450 makes sense

Originally posted by quad2xtreme
    Forget the pros who aren't concerned about how much it costs to make a factory quad ready to race. Think about it for the average joe who just likes to go to the track and play,

This is a big deal. The average guy can spend $7,200 and hit the track and be better off than ever before.

I just can't figure out why Suzuki didn't put nerfs and a killswitch on it? For that matter, why can't the manufacturers at least install some good mounts for nerfs and skids?

/Jon
    No your going to want to replace the rear rims with beadlocks, and you'll most likely change to rear tires that are track proven.
    2006 White Suzuki LTR450 - Cherry Bomb - SOLD

97' BMW ///M3

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=360918

E-mail - fastandthefurious67(at)msn.com

Re: why the LTR450 makes sense

This is a big deal. The average guy can spend $7,200 and hit the track and be bette

r off than ever before.

/Jon
    The nerf and kill switch thing has to do with leagal issues. Their is only so much they can do to the bike. It was just last year that they were able to advertise the word race with an ATV at all.

You are correct with not having to do much. Doug said that bike is so great stock that everyone will be eating their words when it comes out. ( I would say he knows that one) I am running it almost stock (adding nerfs and a kill) I have to soften the stock suspension a tad. It set up for someone like Doug so it is a bit harsh for me. I will also be trying the stock tires. I will have less than $500.00 added to it to race it in the womens A class.

I will say this I know in one of the test sessions they were testing out the stock Axle to see if it would break. They bent the rims but not the axle. Now I am not saying that the stock axle wont bend but it is very stong stock.

Re: Re: why the LTR450 makes sense

Originally posted by Lil_300Ex_Kid
    No your going to want to replace the rear rims with beadlocks, and you'll most likely change to rear tires that are track proven.
    Note my original quote. You really think the average Joe needs better tires and beadlocks to play with this bike on a track?
    2013 CRF450R
    2006 TRX450R

Re: Re: why the LTR450 makes sense

Originally posted by Cindi
    The nerf and kill switch thing has to do with leagal issues. Their is only so much they can do to the bike. It was just last year that they were able to advertise the word race with an ATV at all.

You are correct with not having to do much. Doug said that bike is so great stock that everyone will be eating their words when it comes out. ( I would say he knows that one) I am running it almost stock (adding nerfs and a kill) I have to soften the stock suspension a tad. It set up for someone like Doug so it is a bit harsh for me. I will also be trying the stock tires. I will have less than $500.00 added to it to race it in the womens A class.

I will say this I know in one of the test sessions they were testing out the stock Axle to see if it would break. They bent the rims but not the axle. Now I am not saying that the stock axle wont bend but it is very stong stock.
    Not sure why a killswitch would be a legal issue. Seems like it would improve the safety much like the ones every manufacturer puts on a waverunner. Same with nerf bars. Cannondale put them on stock so I doubt there is a legal issue with that. There has to be a better explanation. It would certainly cut down on the number of people visiting the emergency room with a broken ankle.
    2013 CRF450R
    2006 TRX450R

Re: Re: Re: why the LTR450 makes sense

Not sure why a killswitch would be a legal issue. Seems like it would improve the safety much like the ones every manufacturer puts on a waverunner. Same with nerf bars. Cannondale put them on stock so I doubt there is a legal issue with that. There has to be a better explanation. It would certainly cut down on the number of people visiting the emergency room with a broken ankle.
    Cannondale wasn't in all the lawsuits back in the day when Honda, Suzuki and Yamaha first bailed out of the ATV support thing. They have restrictions they have to follow.

Re: Re: Re: Re: why the LTR450 makes sense

Originally posted by Cindi
    Cannondale wasn't in all the lawsuits back in the day when Honda, Suzuki and Yamaha first bailed out of the ATV support thing. They have restrictions they have to follow.
    Those agreed upon restricitons are no longer active and that is why the manufacturers are going after the race market once again.
    "Duct tape me back on my bike, I can still ride!"

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: why the LTR450 makes sense

Originally posted by Heybo
    Those agreed upon restricitons are no longer active and that is why the manufacturers are going after the race market once again.
    why would you fight with her on these issues? she has first hand knowledge with team suzuki and doug ffs. and why would you think you are a so called expert on the rules in this regard? there are still some rules the factories have to follow in regard to what they can or can't put on a atv.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: why the LTR450 makes sense

Originally posted by Hawk III
    why would you fight with her on these issues? she has first hand knowledge with team suzuki and doug ffs. and why would you think you are a so called expert on the rules in this regard? there are still some rules the factories have to follow in regard to what they can or can't put on a atv.
    That is correct. If is was that easy. Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki would all have nerfs and a kill and none of them do. It has to be for some reason right. So if it was that simple they would all have that stuff on it also.

If anyone wants to know why call Yamaha, Honda or Suzuki and ask them. It is no secret to them.

I don't see why any of you are making a big issue out of the R450 not having nerfs and a tether cord kill switch. You sound like a bunch of sissys if you ask me....
    Besides the cost of a killswitch is a measily $20 for a cheap one and about $85 for a Pingel. Better safe than sorry if you ask me. And for nerfbars, I'm guessing Suzuki will have that as an accessory/ option like they do for the Z400, so if you would like them order them.

Hey Cindi.....do you know if Doug and Jeremiah are gonna be able to run the Indoor ProQuad Stadium Series with the new 450's? I ask this because I don't know if it's like the outdoor series where there has to be so many units made in order to race it.

Thats all folks
    White 06' LTR450....sold
    '08 LTR450 getting revamped.....

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast