Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 31394041

Thread: HOW TO: 450R shocks on 400EX

yea these have no rust or anything very clean. and i had to talk the guy into selling them because he was going to keep them as a spare if something happened to his built shocks. I do a wide variety of riding but a good amount of trails, I just tighten up my stock shocks and im not a fan of how now they rebound harder.

I didn't notice much difference at the dunes but finally got out to the trails. I actually really liked them on the trails. I do weigh 180 without gear, probably 200 with gear. So, for me it seems great. I was kind of skeptical.
    02 400ex, White Bros. Exhaust, K&N.

Well if you bottom out or fell out of control with the stock shocks then i'd go with the 450r shocks.. If not and your hoping for a smoother ride i think you may be unhappy with them. Will really if your an agressive trail rider you should have them.
    2005 Honda 400ex mods: HMF comp series full system exhaust, K&N air filter no air box lid, CFM oil tank, Mod Quad handle bar clamp, Pro Taper high bend handle bars, Pro Taper pillow top grips, Pro Taper hand guards, Factory Effex bar pad, 450r front shocks, MSR AOR clutch lever, HOT CAM stage two.
    Honda foreman 450 mods: HMF performance series slip on, K&N air filter with prefilter, Super atv front disk brakes, Dunlop quad max tires.
    Ski doo mxzx 440 LC 1998.

well i defiantly dont putt around on trails, and i hit jumps or go on tracks whenever i can

Originally posted by 07RedRider400
    well i defiantly dont putt around on trails, and i hit jumps or go on tracks whenever i can
    Yeah i think they would be a great idea for you.
    2005 Honda 400ex mods: HMF comp series full system exhaust, K&N air filter no air box lid, CFM oil tank, Mod Quad handle bar clamp, Pro Taper high bend handle bars, Pro Taper pillow top grips, Pro Taper hand guards, Factory Effex bar pad, 450r front shocks, MSR AOR clutch lever, HOT CAM stage two.
    Honda foreman 450 mods: HMF performance series slip on, K&N air filter with prefilter, Super atv front disk brakes, Dunlop quad max tires.
    Ski doo mxzx 440 LC 1998.

Originally posted by yfzfelix
    no need to grind this either, go look at the bracket on a 450r and cut yours to match, very simple and cleaner than a Mr. Grinder job
    i know this post is old,

but by bracket do you mean grind the shock mounting bracket that is welded to the frame? and where can i find a pic of a 450r's?

Its easy if you have the shock and quad with you.

Knock the nut off the bottom of the shock mount (its for the plastics. Then take some carriage bolts and put them facing up and put a nylock nut with washer. Then put a regular nut between them and the mount.

Relieving the frame is easy, put the shock on, notice where it hits on the back of the top mount. Grind the frame for all of 30 secs.

This is much cleaner than grinding the shock up.
    If it's stupid, and it works, it isn't stupid. - Murphy's Law
    2000 426EX,sold
    2004 450R WIP
    -Longtime A.A.D.S. (Accessory Acquisition Disorder Syndrome) sufferer.
    400EX Frequently Asked Questions, CHECK HERE FIRST!

i have either +2 or +3 burgard a-arms on my 440ex unsure of length because previous didnt know can anyone tell me how to find out for sure? i have a set of stock 450r shocks i plan to install because the works triple rate shocks that were on the quad are blown out... is it possible for me to install the triple rate springs from my works shocks onto the 450r shocks for my setup? this would mean i would be taking the triple rate springs off of my 400ex works shock bodies and installing them on the 450r shocks.... will this work? how do you figure out how much weight your springs are rated for?
    '04 trx 450r
    Champion,OMF,HRC Burgard, Lonestar, Kenda, Titan, Rath,works, streamline,x-factor,LRD ....etc...

I suggest you don't guess with this!

Take the Works shocks off and send them off to someone for a service. You need to let them know your weight with your riding gear on and what kind of riding you do. You will end up with a much better result than trying to mix and match springs/shocks. If you plan to keep the 450R shocks you need to make sure they are long enough for the a-arms, so once again you need to contact an ATV susspension guru to help sort it out. They can also help you set the "ride height" and "race sag".

Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 31394041