Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 06 450r, 06 yfz450, or 06 tld pred can't decide

Originally posted by MAaudioX10
    Of course I am bias! I own a Predator...legally, I own 2.

The only 450R that I found to be faster than a Predator are heavily modded ones. If we are talking moto-cross, then that would apply, but I don't moto-cross nor do I have the desire to. Thus, why I have a Predator.

However, compared to the Predator, the stock axles on the Honda ARE weak. Just because you have not had any problems doesn't change the fact. Another thing I don't understand is that you say the tires on the 450R are meant for trails but, the 450R is a purpose built quad. Directly marketed to compete with the YFZ. So, why develop a mx bike with cc tires??

Although, calling me "very bias" is like the pot calling the kettle black. I find your entire reply extremely bias!
    Have you ever seen a machine come off the showroom floor and get raced with the stock tires. It's kind of like this new suzuki coming out race ready but it doesn't have nerf bars and some other items you need to race. I have nothing against the predator but they are slow and heavy against the 450's on a motorcross track. It may be even in the woods but it really depends on the type of riding you will be doing. Ride them all and then decide!
    04 450r, DRG powerplant! 2 much 2 list don't be scared

Originally posted by MR.BIG
    Have you ever seen a machine come off the showroom floor and get raced with the stock tires. It's kind of like this new suzuki coming out race ready but it doesn't have nerf bars and some other items you need to race. I have nothing against the predator but they are slow and heavy against the 450's on a motorcross track. It may be even in the woods but it really depends on the type of riding you will be doing. Ride them all and then decide!
    Heck, I'll be the first one to admit that a 450 will take a Pred on a motocross track.....

No worries tho...when I bought both of my Preds, it wasn't for motocross...I am a rec rider...may do a few harescrambles but, most of my riding is recreational just like the other 85% that own atvs...
    Like to thank those that gave me the ability to think for myself and have a sense of individuality.

Anyone see that the Predator beat the YFZ450 and TRX450 in the racing portion of the ********.com stock shootout at the Maxxis 12 Hour race last weekend? I heard the only thing Polaris did to the quad the whole race was a chain adjustment. Pretty solid if you ask me. I think I may hold off for the Outlaw though. I don't spend any time on the MX tracks.

Originally posted by ATV_Mo17
    Anyone see that the Predator beat the YFZ450 and TRX450 in the racing portion of the ********.com stock shootout at the Maxxis 12 Hour race last weekend? I heard the only thing Polaris did to the quad the whole race was a chain adjustment. Pretty solid if you ask me. I think I may hold off for the Outlaw though. I don't spend any time on the MX tracks.
    Consider me shocked!
    Like to thank those that gave me the ability to think for myself and have a sense of individuality.

My friends have a race team comprised of all Predators. One friend has a YFZ450, another with a 450r and i have the LTZ400. We all raced ATVA nationals, and hit almost every race.

Here is my take:
    MY Predator friends HAVE TO and CAN ONLY race in the Open class b/c of the CC limitations. If you want to race in all other classes you will not be able to because you have too many cc's. All of their motors (predator guys) are 560s with one being a 580. One has the (580cc motor) HPD +3intake & +2 exhaust head, one with +1, +1. All of them are fully laid out with all the mods, high comp pistons, carb, port and polish, full exhaust, cams, LT suspension, etc etc.

The YFZ and honda are both laid out suspension wise with only High comp pistons P&P, and cams. we have switch bikes & ridden them on our tracks and consistently the YFZ and Honda run quicker times. On the tracks, watchin them at the nationals, the Predator doesn't seem to have all the power the YFZ does. I have seen a fully bored out YFZ with everything in the motor and it spanked the 580 with the largest HPD head, where both riders are A class and equals to each other.

Out of the box, i think the predator is better, plug in for kill switch, mega strong axle, race tires, amazing shocks, just ready for racing. If i had to pick from my experience i would go with a yahama. sorry! I think the Polaris is one h3LL of a machine but compared to the competition (non pro-riders), i think the Polaris cannot stay with the competition.
    2009 YFZ450R
    Baldwin, DID, DP, Houser, JB, Maxxis, PD, PCV, PEP, LSR, Rath, RPM, Sparks, SSI, SunStar, Works Connection

Special thanks to Baldwin Motorsports, PEP, SSI Decals, & my checkbook!!

i have and 06 450r and i love it i draged a yfz the other day and we were neck and neck so anyone who says stock vs stock with these and says they beat who ever by 3 quad lengths is lying

i tdepend on who doe syour motor work an dhow it's assymbled..the wrong porting and clearances can rob you of hp and torque quicker than anything else...the pred is a good machine i had on for almost 3 years with no major problems....i've even had a heavily modded motor fro almost 2 years with the same minmal probs....they are heavy and they are wide...but durability can't be beat..i rode a 06 450er today and didn't like it..constanly shifting and the shocks sucked..but the power was smooth and the ergos are great...but the crf motor had more noises coming out of it then the pred motors...even my big bore with piston slap....i shouldn't actually say i didn't like it...but there were things i liked and things i hated...if i were to get a 450 it owuld be an 05 r ....it really depends on how much $$ you're willing to invest and what type of riding is gonna be done to justify which would be best....but for drag racing the pred rules with the right motor builder and assymbly and rider with good reaction times...from my research the 450's are built to almost the max from the factory and when you go big bore and other stuff it reall puts a big factor onthe engine..now my pred the only thing i did to the bottom end was balance the crank and eveything has held up...

i ride with guys who have yfz's, 450r, 400ex, and 660 rappys. i personally own a 2005 TLD pred, and i really like it. thats not to say it is perfect. im about 6ft 215lbs, and the pred does fit me well.
    some of my friends who are little smaller say that it is relatively bulky to handle. i cant really disagree in their respects, but for me it is great. it is incredibly wide, the Fox Shocks are down right amazing once you adjust the preload, and it is plenty fast. it goes around 70-75 stock, depending on the rider. the only problems i have found are the stock intake blows balls. there is a boot that stretches out from the carb and connects with the lid of the air box. this prohibits you from making alot of mods with the stock box. also, the airfilter is paper square similiar to a car. if you are like me, and dont ride in heavy mud, a K@n clamp on is the way to go! rather than that, the only other problem is the gearing. you see, the 05 TLD accelerates great, but there is a pocket in the gearing. once you get to fourth gear there is a 15-18mph difference to 5th! you really need to ping the RPm's in the 4th when shifting to 5th. those are my two big complaints.

Lets be honest guys. in a stock set up (NO MODS) the 450's will eat up a Pred on a MOTOCROSS course. on the trails, depending on how narrow they are, i personally feel it will come down to the driver. the pred handles very well, and has reverse if you get stuck. i realize many people will disagree with this, but i believe the pred handles very well through the woods (not to say the 450's dont)
    Depending on your desires for a new quad will really make a difference. you say you already have a 400ex and a shee, do i dont really know what you want to do. if you are serious about doing some mx, i would go with a 450. they are lighter, quicker, and set up more for racing. if you want a quad for a multi purpose riding, a little racing, rec, gncc, i would go with the Pred. depending on the mods you put in the pred, you can really customize it for your needs!!!! hope this helps.
    ~2008 YFZ~
    Pro Armor, Houser, Maxxis, Streamline

#621 WNYOA Harescramble Series
    www.wnyoa.net

Sponsors: Steel MX, Weapon MX, WolffRacing

www.steelmx.com
    www.weaponmx.com

Originally posted by wolffie
    if you want a quad for a multi purpose riding, a little racing, rec, gncc, i would go with the Pred. depending on the mods you put in the pred, you can really customize it for your needs!!!! hope this helps.
    You just described my riding habits perfectly. I race 4-7 times per year and ride the dunes a lot. So I bought a 2005 Troy Lee tonight I also ordered a new intake system for it, I think it was a twin air.
    1989 trx250r-few mods
    1998 500 scrambler-wifes
    2007 Kymco 250 Mongoose-mydaughter
    2007 250ex-my boys
    1986 ATC250r Project

Glad i could help man! yeah, it is a great machine you should really enjoy it! make sure you change the oil after the first gas tank or so, because it runs through the clutch as well! that is what the dealer told me, and they were right!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ~2008 YFZ~
    Pro Armor, Houser, Maxxis, Streamline

#621 WNYOA Harescramble Series
    www.wnyoa.net

Sponsors: Steel MX, Weapon MX, WolffRacing

www.steelmx.com
    www.weaponmx.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast