Thread: I tore my motor down, is it as good as I think?

I tore my motor down, is it as good as I think?

I just tore down My motor tonight on my 86 R.

The crank seems pretty solid and only moves up and down a very little bit, that means its good pretty good, right?

The piston seems to have no scuffs and has a thin layer of carbon on the top, It seems to be in great condition, is there any other way I can tell besides to appearence of it?

The sleeve looks good and has no real scuffs (very slight lines), should I still get it honed?

I know I need new rings and to replace all the gaskets. should I check for anything else?
    2009 CRF250R

R.I.P. Kelly "Steelrod" Chang, Todd Vescovi, Matt Barosek, & Jeremy Lusk, You'll Never be Forgotten!

time for a crank rebild . if you can move it up and down not good
    side to side a little is ok but not up and down

not at all? Its very little up and down play, like 3+-mm's
    2009 CRF250R

R.I.P. Kelly "Steelrod" Chang, Todd Vescovi, Matt Barosek, & Jeremy Lusk, You'll Never be Forgotten!

no none at all thats a whole lot 3 mm wow lucky your crank didn't go

dang, I though it was in decent condition, I know the gy who sold me the bike lied. He said it was rebuilt top & bottom end. But anyways, I guess I just buy a new 89 crank from servicehonda.com , how do people split and match the cases and how long does it take? Is it expensive?
    2009 CRF250R

spliting the cases is a job for some one that kknows what to do
    and dont buy a new crank just get yours rebilt not a big deal to have it done . i had one done last year cost me 150 to get it done thats with parts

but you could do a plater motor just have to get a 86 piston and a plate from nacs with the 89 crank.
    and he could have rebilt the uper and lower end but if the crank wasn't bad would not have done it .i bet just put main bearings
    in it