Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New chain Install?

New chain Install?

I bought a new O ring chain for my 01 400ex and whats the right way to take the old one off and putting the new one on? Do i just break the old one off or what? (bolt cutters) My sprockets look great not worn but i had a nice kink in my chain and i couldnt break it free even with robo grips. So thats the reason i got the new chain. But anyways do I need to unloosen anything before i put the new chain on or do i just put it on and tighten it up? Any help would be greatly appreciated. First time changing a chain and would like to do it right the first time! Thanks
    2001 Yellow 400 EX Loaded - SOLD

2003 Yellow LTZ 400 Loaded

2005 Green KFX 700 Semi Loaded

Take a sidegrinder and cut the old one in half. be sure you have on some safety glasses and nothing flamable around you

Loosen the 4 adjusting bolts on rear of swingarm and slide carrier back towards the front; the new chain will go right on. Be SURE you install masterlink with open end facing towards rear so it wont catch on anything.

Replace the sprockets with the new chain is best bet.
    96 KX250
    86 Asphalt 330R

Great thanks!!
    2001 Yellow 400 EX Loaded - SOLD

2003 Yellow LTZ 400 Loaded

2005 Green KFX 700 Semi Loaded

Originally posted by NacsMXer
    He won't even need a grinder to cut the old one in half. You're going to have to loosen the pinch bolts and rotate the carrier forward to adjust the chain slack for the new chain anyway. The stock one comes right off when you loosen the slack.
    unless it has a master link he will have to cut the chain to get it off

you have to cut it to get it off, otherwise you have to take the swingarm off.
    01 400EX
    93 Kodiak

Originally posted by NacsMXer
    I assumed that the "old chain" was the stock unit which is endless with no master link. Regardless, even if it did have a master link, all you have to do is either pop the retaining clip and remove the master link or just loosen the chain tension on the carrier. No cutting should be required at all, I was just trying to save the guy extra work that' s all
    Just how exactly do you take a masterlink-less chain off without cutting? Obviously you could remove the hole swingarm, but wouldn't cutting it be the eaiser way!?
    M-Dub

Quadless as of now
    05 KLX110 - some stuff
    01 ZR600 - bone stock
    1992 LT80 - pitquad I guess?

So far the people that have SCREWED me on here:
    powerband
    and yamablaster24 more yamablaster24

Remember every time you run wheel spacers or flipped rims... god kills a kitten

"The best you have ridden is the best you know" Paul Thede- RaceTech

Ignorance is NOT bliss -- it's embarrassing and counter-productive

Experience is a tough teacher she gives the test first the lesson afterwards

RIP 606

Sorry about the misinformation, I deleted my posts. I don't know what I was thinking when I typed that. Uh, the stock chain is wrapped around the swingarm duh! Stupid me. It's been a while since I removed my stock chain and I now remember that I cracked my swingarm and replaced it with a new one along with a new chain at the same time. I hate it when your memory plays tricks on you!
    00' 400EX - GT Thunder 450 stroker, custom JE 12.5:1 piston,
    +7mm stroked crank, HD stroker rod, HRC cam, GTT full race porting, +1mm intake valves, FCR 39 carb, CRF timing chain, Denso IXG27 iridium plug, full Hinson 8 plate clutch, Desert Toyz Supercooler w/ SPAL fan, UM airbox w/ UNI, CT Hi-Output exhaust, Roll LOBO II F/R, LT PEP 8 click ZPS piggyback fronts, PEP ZPS rear, YFZ brakes/450R master, CCP stabilizer, Hiper Tech beadlocks, Durablue X-33, TAG, Quadtech, ASV, AC, IMS, RAD, Works Connection, Galfer..

05' Kawasaki KLX 110 - Fast 50's springs F/R, HRC cradle, Rox risers, FLY fatbars, NGK CR6HIX iridium plug, Twin Air filter

I guess we can let is slide this time...
    M-Dub

Quadless as of now
    05 KLX110 - some stuff
    01 ZR600 - bone stock
    1992 LT80 - pitquad I guess?

So far the people that have SCREWED me on here:
    powerband
    and yamablaster24 more yamablaster24

Remember every time you run wheel spacers or flipped rims... god kills a kitten

"The best you have ridden is the best you know" Paul Thede- RaceTech

Ignorance is NOT bliss -- it's embarrassing and counter-productive

Experience is a tough teacher she gives the test first the lesson afterwards

RIP 606

DONT CUT IT OK

there will be a link some where on the chain just hit the bit of metal with a screw driver then push the link out DONT CUT IT

Originally posted by crazycray200
    DONT CUT IT OK

there will be a link some where on the chain just hit the bit of metal with a screw driver then push the link out DONT CUT IT
    When did you become "the" source on info? The stock chain has NO masterlink as said sevarl times. You can beat the chain with a hammer/screwdriver for 30 minutes and mabe pop a link off and gouge your hand at the same time!

Cutting takes about 30 seconds Cracycra...
    96 KX250
    86 Asphalt 330R

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast