Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 300ex parking brake block off

300ex parking brake block off

What is the reason everyone puts them on is it because the parking break sticks and chews the pads off. This seems to be what happens to me with my 300ex. It seems to eat the pads right off it. If I dis connected the parking break would it save me from having to put rear pads on every few months. I bought the bike used over a year ago and havn't touched the front brakes but I have gone through a couple sets on the rear.
    2002 300EX

the rear brakes always wear away about that quick atleast all my friends 300exs and mine eat rear brakes like that as for the parking brake i have no clue why people put them on mine just had one on it when i bought it
    honda 300ex, TC 330 big bore,11.5:1 JE piston, stage 3 web cam, ported and polished, 36mm flat slide lectron carb, k&n airfilter with outerwears prefilter, outerwears airbox cover, 21" raZors up front 20'' raZors on rear, works suspension front and rear , 3" front wheel spacers 5'' rear wheel spacers, white brothers e-series full system, renthal bars, Baldwin bearing carrier, AC nerf bars, easy pull clutch lever, kill switch, DG front bumper, swingarm skid

1996 Dodge ram 1500 v6 3.9L regular cab
    1994 ford ranger ext cab v6 4.0L

300ex parking break is crap.

you have 2 settings.
    1) Parking break doesnt work when on, but break doesn't bind when it's off.
    2) Parking break works but break still binds when p-brake is turned off.

Solution:

Remove it, and put on a blockoff plate.
    Put quad in gear when you park it. Trust me, it isn't gonna roll away in 1st gear w/ the engine off.

You're always gonna have to replace the rear pads more than the fronts because it is exposed to more mud, which tends to act like sandpaper when it gets between the pads and the rotor.
    Brandon -O||||O-
    1998 Honda TRX300EX (330)

A parking brake is not needed for racing and removing it helps improve the power to weight ratio.

So there is no real way to make the rear brakes last longer. I was using them when the pads were worn out but after awile it pops the piston out! The dam pads arn't cheap either!
    2002 300EX

Originally posted by kd5sfq
    A parking brake is not needed for racing and removing it helps improve the power to weight ratio.
    the parking brake doesnt weigh but a couplke ounces....and gets rid of a cable and the ugly p.brake off the back and decreases your chances of poking a hole in the airbox (which is not good)
    Mike

06 450R

Wanted: +1 steering stem, 1 1/8 bar mount, Pro Armor or Factory 43 nerf bars, under 96 db exhaust system, used set of beadlock rears

Originally posted by Trevor
    So there is no real way to make the rear brakes last longer. I was using them when the pads were worn out but after awile it pops the piston out! The dam pads arn't cheap either!
    Generally, removing the parkingbrake on the 300ex will make the brakes last longer because of my previous stated reason. If it works, it always binds.

Either just loosen it up to where it won't bind, or just remove it all together.
    Brandon -O||||O-
    1998 Honda TRX300EX (330)

I did a search on parking brake block offs and I just wanted to find out what is the actual purpose of the block off plate? From what I could find you don't actualy need it. It is more less just there to keep dirt out is this so?
    2002 300EX

worst town I've ever lived in... Spencer,OH
    Originally posted by Trevor
    I did a search on parking brake block offs and I just wanted to find out what is the actual purpose of the block off plate? From what I could find you don't actualy need it. It is more less just there to keep dirt out is this so?
    Yes it is just to keep dirt out...that's why you need it. Otherwise you will get dirt in your brakes and they will stick even worse than with the e-brake cable in place. It's only a $10-$15 part that will save you money in brakes in the long run.
    I am now quadless...

Can someone show me some pics of the block offs front and back. Are they just flat on the back or are they hollow?
    2002 300EX

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast