Thread: Air Filters

Air Filters

Hey everyone

I wanna know which one is better K & N or Uni also will it screw my bike up to take the airbox cap off if I ride in dusty areas?

Yellow 400ex with PRM desert bumper, DG skids on A-arms and swingarm and nerf bars

Personally i like K&N. I ride with no airbox lid in dusty conditions. I have an outerwear on my K&N but i clean mine after every 2 rides. I dont like uni.

There is nothing wrong with the Uni filter. The K&N will flow more air, but you must run an Outerswear cover on the filter. If you do not if will let dust into the engine. Being that you ride in dusty conditions, then you must run the Outerswear cover. You might also clean it after every ride just to be safe.

I've had good luck with the K&N. Riding in dusty conditions without the airbox lid shouldn't present a problem as long as you keep the filter clean, well oiled, and use an outerwear.
    2000-440ex Stroker--Fan Cooled

Houser +1 A-Arms, Elka Triple rates, Laegers +1 1/4 Swingarm, G-Force Axle w/Durablue Anti-Fade Locknut, 14/36 Gearing, DID X-Ring Chain, C&D Revalved Rear, Maier Silver Plastic, Steel Grey PCed Frame, SPAL Fan, AC Bumper, Pro Armour Footpeg Extensions, Renthal Bars, Yoshimura Full Exhaust, 450R Carb w/ZR's Adaptor, K&N w/o Lid, Powroll 440 Stroker w/stg 3 HC, P&P Head, HD rod, GT Thunder HD Studs, and Timing chain, AMR Monster Coil, 4 Degree Advance Key and a 12oz lighter flywheel. Now at 12.5:1 Compression!

450R Front brake upgrade using 06-up Spindles and 07' hubs.

450R Rear Brake Upgrade

Kenda Knarly XC Radial 21x11x9 Rear Tires

Shorai Lithium Iron Battery

Running E85--Jetting: 70 pilot, 240 main, HRC needle on bottom notch and shimmed.

I run an UNI with an outerwears on it and the lid off. The bad thing about the UNI is that its a friggin oily sticky mess and getting the outerwears over it is a *****. Plus the outerwears gets oily too. I use the outerwears because its water repellent and you need that up here in westen Washington
    2001 RED 400EX
    BODY
    -MSR CR250 Clutch Lever and Perch, Renthal 615's, E-Brake removed, Billet block-off plate, Panoram speedometer, Cohoona shock covers, flipped front wheels (poor man's +2), Denton rebuildable steering stabilizer, AC Pro-Pegs, AC New Style Bumper, PRM Swingarm Plate, Nac's case saver, Nac's headlight covers.
    POWERTRAIN
    -Choke removed, 42 Pilot, 162 Main, Stock Needle on 3, 3 turns out on the fuel screw, UNI with Outerwears, White Brother's E-Series slip-on with 11 disks, Nac's airbox plug, Outerwears Lid Modification (not that velcro lid crap), GT 14T front sprocket.

YEA GO WITH K@N PUT A PRE-FILTER AND A OUTERWEARS LID COVER ON IT AND U SHOULD BE FINE--BUT CLean it alot