Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: starter?..clicking..

starter?..clicking..

hey, i can't get my bike to start, i can't ride due to the swingarm/carrier so i went out to let it run a minute..

well, i turn the key, the neutral light come's on, both my fog light's come on, and my blue light's work, but...
    when i hit the starter it just click's. the clicking isn't coming from the starter it's coming from this little round black thing by the battery...hot wire come's from the battery, to this black thing, then i'm not sure where, maybe to the starter, somewhere under there. i unhooked the wire's from this black thing cleaned the comnnection's and put em' back on, but it didn't help any.
    i have rebuilt this starter once already. the little brushe's in the starter went out, fixed it. i believe it was about 2yrs ago..i didin't want to break into the starter untill one of you guy's could tell me why the clicking is coming from this little round thing.. also, what's that flat thing by the battery, and this black thing. it's flat metal and have kooling fins on it, (like the fins on the motor) what is that thing, what does it do....

do i need to replace this round thing, or the starter?. can the round thing be rebuit? what is it and what does it do...

.......DUHH....
    W1DE5PREADPANIC@AOL.COM

TAKE IT FROM A PRO
    ......JUST SAY NO......

That round thing is the seleniod. If i were to put money on it that is what is wrong. My 400 did that. Was clicking then eventually it started i cleaned all the connections didn't work. I bought a new one and put it on no more clicking works all the time. So i suggest you buy that and it will fix your problem if you want to make sure that is it. Get a test light go from battery to seleniod if you have juice going to it then go from seleniod to the one fuse in your fuse box down there. If it don't light up when you hit the starter that is your problem. Oh by the way that costs right around 50 60 bucks i think that is what i paid.
    Fear is an emotion felt from previous pain. C.R.

you say to test it

well..shouldn't having light's/neutral light's and all that. show that power is going through it?...

not doubting you but you know....

i also tried taking a wire and running around this "selenoid" didn't work
    W1DE5PREADPANIC@AOL.COM

TAKE IT FROM A PRO
    ......JUST SAY NO......

Take a wire and run it from your positive battery connection to when the wire goes onto the starter , if your starter turns then its your sylanoid.
    2007 can am outlander 800

Most likely if its clicking its working. pull the ground off the batery where its bolted to the frame... clean this area with a not grease solvant. If you must buff it with like 220 grit sand paper and then reconnect your ground. this is most likely ther problem if its clicking but not starting.

if it hasn't been started in a week or two...throw a little charge on the battery. that clicking noise is the solenoid . it is not getting enough voltage from the battery. and yes, even with a low battery your lights will work, for a while.
    Staff Photographer ATVRiders.com
    Senior Photographer ATVInsider
    Staff Photographer GNCC Racing/ATV MX
    Staff Photographer Vurboffroad
    Staff Photographer Cycle News

I clean all my connections before i put my new seleniod on and tried it first because soon as you open any electrical componet you can't take it back. You might not have enough power and that will make it click i would try that. When mine would click it would light up the test light when it actually turn over it would light it up. My seleniod wasn't completly wasted when i replaced it. I never charged my battery and haven't had a problem since i have changed it.
    Fear is an emotion felt from previous pain. C.R.

bet...

thanx guy's.....i'll try all that.
    W1DE5PREADPANIC@AOL.COM

TAKE IT FROM A PRO
    ......JUST SAY NO......

Sounds like the battery needs some more juice.
    "Hit it again"

Its probably not his battery if his lights and everything work. Its either his starter sylanoid or his starter brushes.
    I asked the same question a few weeks ago about my 300ex and you guys all suggested the the battery and cleaning the terminals and wire connections.
    But it actually turned out that my starter brushes were shot. Take your starter off and pull it apart and see if the brushes are worn at all , if they are replace them and install the starter. (make sure its bolted in place or it won't work), Also make sure all your washers are in the right places when installing the starter. If that doesn't work its defiently your sylanoid. The brushes and starter plate are on like $6-10. The sylanoid is around $20-30.
    I ended up replacing the sylanoid first and then realized my brushes were shot and am kicking myself for spending all the money on that sylanoid when the brushes are dirt cheap.
    2007 can am outlander 800

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast