Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2005 Extreme Dirt Track ATV Racing - RD#4 - Elizabeth City - ATV Race Coverage

2005 FMF Extreme Dirt Track Round 4 - Elizabeth City Race Coverage

Elizabeth City, NC - Extreme Dirt Track Racing headed almost as far as East as you could possibly go, to the Dixie Land Track located only a short drive from the Atlantic Ocean. With this in mind, I decided it was finally time for a family vacation, so we left on Wednesday for the several hundred mile trip South East to the Outer Banks of North Carolina.

Just one year ago, my traveling to the races was temporarily interrupted for a few weeks while I stayed home with my wife expecting our first child, which added another chapter to our lives together. A year later, I am heading to the Elizabeth City Race as a family, and instead of only being concerned about what I needed to bring for the trip, I needed to worry about packing a stroller, diapers, and toys. I became so focused on the family trip to the shore that I left one very important thing at home, my camera bag. Three hundred miles from home, I realized what I forgot to pack, but there was no turning back, so I headed to Walmart to start plan B... because attending a race without a camera would be like showing up to race and leaving the ATV at home.

With a new camera and a kit lens, my vacation was underway with the family for a few days before heading to the track on Saturday. I spent a few days traveling along the Outer Banks checking various beaches and awesome lighthouses along the North Carolina shore.

Cape Hatteras Lighthouse is just one of 5 Lighthouses along the North Carolina shore
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Click Here --->ATVriders.com Hoodies, Shirts, and Stickers Available Online <---

Please Support Our Site Sponsors!
    Mud Motorsports, BCS Performance, ITP, Maxxis, Tire Balls, Douglas Wheels, Burgard Cycle, T&T Racing, DASA, GBC Motorsports, HMF Engineering, Motoworks, ELKA, FOX

It was an experience watching my girl exploring the sand and everything else she found in it. The tough part was keeping them in her hands and out of her mouth, as she quickly found out sand doesn’t taste all that good.
    Click Here --->ATVriders.com Hoodies, Shirts, and Stickers Available Online <---

Mud Motorsports, BCS Performance, ITP, Maxxis, Tire Balls, Douglas Wheels, Burgard Cycle, T&T Racing, DASA, GBC Motorsports, HMF Engineering, Motoworks, ELKA, FOX

The few days at the beach with the family was over as quickly as it started, and it was time to head west to Elizabeth City to capture all the action, which is why you are reading this report in the first place because the Foley beach vacation probably wouldn't have caught your attention.

When we arrived at the track, the parking seemed packed, but I later found out that attendance was slightly down from last year with just under 300 entries, which I wouldn’t doubt is due to the insane gas prices of 2.65/gallon for the cheap stuff.

After several beautiful days before the race, the clouds rolled in on Saturday with rain showers breaking out just to the north, but fortunately the rain stayed away and the clouds offered some relief from the sun with temps remaining in the low 80’s throughout the day.

ATV Racin Extra’s, David Screws, was busy making some gearing adjustments to Justin’s machine before the Main as he was looking to either take the win or blow it up trying, and unfortunately, he blew it up, or close enough to take him out of the race with Joel Hetrick going on to take his third win of the season.

The biggest scare of the amateur racing action occurred when Mandy Brodil went end over end during her first race. It left her with a large contusion on her leg and a swollen knee with possible ligament and tendon damage, which ruined her chances of winning the Championship this year and most likely ended her season.

She was taken to the local hospital for evaluation and fortunately this was her home track.

Candace Lee would go on to win her third race of the season with Andrea Pritchard finishing in second followed by Donna Jetter. With Mandy missing the Main, Candace looks to have the Championship wrapped up if she wins at Paducah.

If anyone has any updated information on Mandy, please keep us updated.

The Dixieland Speedway utilized the oval dirt track with some infield action that contained some breaking bumps/jumps. The track really chewed up the tires with some running different compound tires on the inside than the outside for better traction.

The track crew kept the track moist enough, so dust and traction wasn't an issue, but there were some complaints about the layout of the track by some of the riders because of the pitch of the bumps.

The Amateur racing action was intense all weekend, but nothing beats watching the youth of the sport tearing it up. Justin Laney was doing exactly that as he reeled in Levi Johnson, who held the early lead until Justin and eventually Gavin Wright would both make the pass. Justin pulled away from everyone with his lightning fast Suzuki, which was surprisingly for sale.

Back in the Pro Pits, #12 Keith Little had his Motocross YFZ450 up for sale, as the MX season is over, so if you want the best of the best, for $12,000 you could have this YFZ. If interested, send me a pm, and I will pass you information to Keith Little.

Keith Little relaxed during the day signing autographs for those that came by his trailer, but unfortunately Curtis Sparks wasn't in attendance and probably won't be at the remaining two races to attend to a family health issue. Out of respect for Curtis, I won't release the specific details at this time.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast