Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Computer problem.. Please help!!

Originally posted by MOFO
    I knew this would come up....

As a matter of fact, yes, a hard drive failure could prevent the bios from coming up. All depends on what is wrong with the hard drive. As I said, it is rare, but I have seen it myself. I work with alot of computers, so I see the rare and unusual problems.
    I have to agree with Eric here. I work at the same company Eric works for and was in the field for 7 years before taking various other positions. I can guarantee you I've seen hard drives take a PC down. Typical hard drive failures will allow the motherboard to boot, you see the RAM check and then you get the dreaded "No O/S found" or some similar error. Not as often but I've seen hard drive crashes where nothing will happen except for a blinking cursor as soon as power is applied or sometimes nothing at all.
    2013 KTM 300XC

On a side note, dude, you shoulda got a Dell...

I bought a Dell for my home PC because I worked on computers all day at work and the last thing I wanted to do was work on my home one. A few weeks ago we had a power surge during a storm and my PC wouldn't power up at all. I had 110vac at the power plug but only 5vdc coming out of the supply. I unplugged all the cards, RAM, HD, etc. to no avail. I called Dell, explained the problem and within 4 days I had a Dell contractor at my house replacing the power supply and motherboard for good measure at no charge to me.
    2013 KTM 300XC

Originally posted by Punk'd
    You press the power up button and it sounds like it is going to start but 3 seconds later it goes beep beeeeep and wont go any further. Iv tried a diffrent monitor and power supply. The other monitor reads "No signal" and usually the monitor light will turn orange stateing that its in a form of idle, but it stays green and the buttons on the monitor do nothing.. Contrast.. color.. etc

Everything is plugged in right. I opened her up, the fans are turning. Havent messed with anything.. programs.. etc

It was working when I left this morning for school and when I came home and turned the monitor on it said "No Signal"
    okay now you hve to get some comp. repair books and look up error codes, the beep thing is your computer trying to tell you whats wrong

right on about the beep codes. Each type of error has a different sequence of beeps...kinda like morse code. check the documentation on your motherboard and see what the beeps mean.

Anytime I have experience beep codes, it was related to RAM. With the clicking aside, this is a very likely cause of your problem.
    I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

Motherboard, Ram, or the video card is most likely causing the issue. Do you have any idea what type of motherboard you have? What version of Windows are you using?

Exactly, what do the beeps sound like? 3 long beeps? 1 short, 1 long, 1 short beep? Possibly 1 very short, 3 long (may only sound like 3 beeps)?
    Preston
    **FOR SALE** - '02 Yellow 400ex:WB Pro Meg, +2 Burgard a-arms, Works Triple Rates w/ rezzies, Pro Armor nerfs, Renthal bars, WB PB block off, RTC perch

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123