Thread: Stripped Oil Drain Plug

Stripped Oil Drain Plug

my friend stripped his oil drain plug on his 300ex can you tell me what he should do. thanks

ouch!

Try and re-tap it?
    440, Ross 11.5:1 piston, Web cam 479 grind, race port & polish, oversized valves, hardened rockers, CRF450 cam chain, 39mm FCR carb, lightened Flywheel, Stock clutch, WB CDI box, K&N filter , WhiteBrothers E-Series full exhaust, Sidewinder Chain, 15/36 gearing, open airbox, LSR Axcaliber +3.5 axle, Houser Racing +2 a-arms, Elka triple rate, fully adjustable front shocks, +1.25 Houser swingarm, Tag Metals X5 bars, Arens +1 steering stem, Muscle steering dampener, Stainless Steel brakelines, HeatSeeker temp. guage, Pro Design kill switch, DG Pro Series nerfs, 8 run Hauler paddles. ~~http://www.sounddomain.com/id/trick440ex~~

when you do retap it,get a manual and a torque wrench.no quad owner should be without either.i think the plug for my 300 is 17 foots pounds,thats not all that tight.good luck.i'm sure someone on here has fixed this problem before.:devil

Did he strip the threads out of the hole in the motor, or did he strip the hex off the plug itself (so now a wrench doesn't fit anymore..)?

If the threads are stripped out of the hole find a machine shop that will properly re-thread the hole for him...

If the end of the bolt is stripped off find a shop that will weld a nut on the end and then just spin it out (replace it with a new plug of course)..

Leo
    You know the world is going crazy when France is accusing the US of arrogance, and Germany doesn't want to go to war.

Wink

The proper repair is called a Heli-coil insert. A quality machine shop or your bike shop should be able to do this for you. If you are above average as a home mechanic,you could also do it your self. The repair involves drilling your oil drain hole oversize, retapping with a special tap, and winding in a Heli-coil insert which is made of stainless steel. This repair leaves threads that are stronger than stock. Be careful not to get chips or shavings in your crankcase. Auto parts stores typically can get these.

i learned that the hard way, i snapped a side case bolt and had to take the crankcase cover off get it out and put the cover back on. not a hard job but took a hour. from my own experience i have one tip of advice, GET A TORQUE WRENCH no owner of a quad should be without one. i sure as hell bought one after i snapped that bolt. and havent stripped or snapped anything since. good luck!
    2000 Roll/Laeger's/Houser/Axis 416ex

2001 Arens/Laeger's/PEP 250r

Thanks to my sponsors for 2003 : 00-Buck ATV Racing, Team Pompton, Nebulae Race Team, Milton Inn Packaged Goods, Napa Auto Parts of Oak Ridge, Sick Style Racing, WD-40, Hinson Racing, IMS, Sport Center Racing, and Nac's racing

I'd also like to give a special thanks to Baldwin Motorsports for all there help and support they gave me.

We are now accepting resumes, this is a New Jersey based team. westsyder50@hotmail.com
    http://www.geocities.com/sickstyleatv/index.html

Team Rcokford Fosgate 401+ northeast champ 147.7db

thanks guys i sent all the info to him, so he will decide what to do?
    thanks again everyone