Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Differences between sportrax 400ex and trx400ex?

oh alright, thanks

I think all the model years have the same name trx400ex. Just the newer ones say sportrax instead of fourtrax on the seat. and the 05 has the headlights cut out and a hood put on, reverse, and different gearing.

Originally posted by RuBb
    so the sportrax has less top end?

but has more low end?

or the other way around

Put it this way, TRX have been around since 99, My manual says 1999 Honda TRX400ex But the seatcovers are diffrent, now either u want a 99-04 400ex, or you want an 05 with reverse, U can change our low/top end speeds with sprocket changes, 15-38t is stock on the 400s i know at leat till 04.
    05 Gt Thunder Trx490r
    WHITEHORSE RACING
    RISSLER EXTEREME ATV
    PRM, AXE racing, FASST bars, GPR, IMS-Roll, DID chains, HRC, JT sprockets, GT Thunder link, Hipers, Maxxis, Tire Balls, Custom Axis, LSR (stem,arms swinger carrier hubs), Axecalliber axil, QuadTech, T&T Racing, Spider, UNI, Pivot works, mxprographx,

WHITEHORSE RACING Trx416ex
    Razor 2's 23"-22"s,IMS tank,Galfer Steal Brake Lines,Denton Stabilizer,Herrmann +1 swingarm,Herrmann Racing Seat latch,Hotcams Stage one,Port and polish,Dynojets,Wesico,Tag Bars,PRM Bumper,PRM Skids,Rad carriers,Spyder grips,All Balls,LRD Exhaust,Green Frame,Stock Red Front Plastic,Gray Maier Rear Plastics ,Elkas Shocks Up Front,STocker Rear Shock,Blown elka rear in the shop!

Knox Racing 1987 trx250r (under construction)

Oh yeah, RED IS FASTER!!!!!!!!!!
    05 Gt Thunder Trx490r
    WHITEHORSE RACING
    RISSLER EXTEREME ATV
    PRM, AXE racing, FASST bars, GPR, IMS-Roll, DID chains, HRC, JT sprockets, GT Thunder link, Hipers, Maxxis, Tire Balls, Custom Axis, LSR (stem,arms swinger carrier hubs), Axecalliber axil, QuadTech, T&T Racing, Spider, UNI, Pivot works, mxprographx,

WHITEHORSE RACING Trx416ex
    Razor 2's 23"-22"s,IMS tank,Galfer Steal Brake Lines,Denton Stabilizer,Herrmann +1 swingarm,Herrmann Racing Seat latch,Hotcams Stage one,Port and polish,Dynojets,Wesico,Tag Bars,PRM Bumper,PRM Skids,Rad carriers,Spyder grips,All Balls,LRD Exhaust,Green Frame,Stock Red Front Plastic,Gray Maier Rear Plastics ,Elkas Shocks Up Front,STocker Rear Shock,Blown elka rear in the shop!

Knox Racing 1987 trx250r (under construction)

all honda quads are trx models because if you take off the rear plastics and seat on any honda quad it has a sticker on the subframe dat says trx (wat ever the model is) on it on it the only diff now is dat the 05's got reverse whice is realy not needed and diff plastics and graphics the red sportrax models are the fastest ones i raced my friend wit his 05 trx400ex and tore him up dat 11 or w.e pounds make a diff in top and bottom end
    crf250R- r.e.p, F.C, hinson, talon, excel, pro taper, msr, fluydline, yoshi, pro circuit, boysen, parelli, renthal, n-style, throttle jocky, and everything else

ride em hard and put em away wet!!!

support the troops!!!!

thanks to steel mx, pro circuit, mom and dad, mtr racing inc. , god, ims, r.e.p, n.e.d.r

i forgot...... i raced him on my lil bros 2001 stocker red 400ex not mine as shown
    crf250R- r.e.p, F.C, hinson, talon, excel, pro taper, msr, fluydline, yoshi, pro circuit, boysen, parelli, renthal, n-style, throttle jocky, and everything else

ride em hard and put em away wet!!!

support the troops!!!!

thanks to steel mx, pro circuit, mom and dad, mtr racing inc. , god, ims, r.e.p, n.e.d.r

yea as i was reading your sig, i said no wonder why he won. but yea the red ones walk all over the yellows.
    _06 450R_
    _13 Hypermotard SP_

had:
    -2004 XR650L
    -2004 YFZ450
    -2002 426EX
    -2003 Z400
    -2002 300EX
    -1998 XR100

you can im me at: nj400ex

whatever happens happens, just live life to the fullest.

Originally posted by jak1389
    But yea the red ones walk all over the yellows.
    I don't think he was serious when he said red are faster cuase the only difference is the plastic. And the new ones have different gearing becuase they have reverse so they had to change the transmission all around so for all you who beged for reverse you got it but it cost some speed.

lol i wasnt serious at all. ive been riding for such a long time and i am smart enough to know that the color of plastics do not change anything. its just like saying adding stickers adds horsepower.
    _06 450R_
    _13 Hypermotard SP_

had:
    -2004 XR650L
    -2004 YFZ450
    -2002 426EX
    -2003 Z400
    -2002 300EX
    -1998 XR100

you can im me at: nj400ex

whatever happens happens, just live life to the fullest.

Smile

In my opinion, it kind of hard to say the difference. TRX's having reverse is a lie, because I have and '04 TRX400EX thats doesn't have reverse. The thing is, the manufacturer tag says TRX but then the factory stickers on the side of the quad say Sportrax 400EX. I think though that there really is no real difference. It may be coincidental that some year's TRX's have reverse, where other year's Sportrax's don't, or whatever, but all in all, it's the same bike.

Oh and BTW, what has been said about the '05 is true. It uses a 14 tooth front sprocket where the earlier years use a 15 tooth. So an '05 will have more low end, but the earlier ones will have more top end. There is a whole thread about top speeds, but simply put, an '04 will do 67mph, where an '05 will do about 55.

And just so we are all clear, red ones are way faster than yellow ones haha, just kidding
    Sponsored by Dirt Fiend Racing (DFR) of Mesa, AZ ~

2004 Honda TRX400EX (RED)

PEP, Hydrodynamics, Lonestar Racing, Rath Racing, Pro Armor, Pro Taper, ASV, Streamline

2009 KTM 450SX ATV (ORANGE)

Fox Racing Shox, Lonestar Racing, Precision, Houser, Motoworks, Hiper, Fuel Customs

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast