Thread: Clutch Question

Clutch Question

Hey, I've noticed lately when we're trail riding that after a while and the engine is nice and hot, when I go to take off, I have to give it more gas when going into gear or it makes this "clacking" noise. To me it sounds like the clutch is slipping. Then if I ride around under speed in 2nd or 3rd if I get too slow it will make the same sound. Now I have to admit that I haven't changed my oil for a while, so I took my clutch cover off but my discs look good,with plenty of fiber on them, so my question is, would old oil cause this problem? If I simply change my oil would this solve the problem? I've got an EBC clutch to replace my old one, but I don't want to replace it if I dont have to. But I dont want to just change my oil, and it not solve it and then I have to tear everything apart again. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Aaron
    "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting"...holy ****...what a ride!"

the oil you run makes a big difference. when i ran regular oil it would do that. after i switched to mobil 1 15-50, it went away and the bike ran better. they have discontinued this oil now so i would find an alternative. i am going to try maxima ultra in my 450r. you shouldn't have a problem with maxima, amsoil, klotz, etc...
    2005 450r

*sold* 2001 400ex

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right."

"A leader will take you where you want to go. A great leader will not necessarily take you where you want to go but where you ought to be."

"If you want to do something, you will find a way; if you don't, you'll find and excuse!"

"Its not aptitude but attitude that determines your altitude."

Interesting, why would your clutch make a 'clanking' noise. There is nothing to clank against in the clutch.

I would think a slipping clutch would not make any noise...

Are you sure it is not your chain hitting the swingarm when you are bogging the engine??? Noticed this on mine when I had it up on stands the other night. Tightned up the chain and it was fine.

Good luck