Thread: octane booster

octane booster

Would it be ok to put like octane booster that you can buy from wally world in your quad i have a 300ex and its got an all stock motor but i was just woundering what it would do for me and if it would be ok.
    Jeremy weber

99 300ex
    UNI air filter
    Renthal Handle bars
    FMF Performax exhaust system
    nerfbars
    chain and sprockets stock teeth

1999 Honda foreman 4x4 aka the beast

2001 Polaris sportsman 500ho

Won't hurt anything...but probably won't do anything either.
    -Justin
    YFZ450

98% of the teenage population will try, does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this into your signature.

my friend blew his motor after he put that stuff in his reconn and he did mix it right..i wouldn't run it

With a stock motor, you don't need higher octane, it won't do anything benificial at all. None. And most octane booster is terrible stuff, I wouldn't recommend it even if you DID need higher octane.
    Duncan Racing 340PV, +2 A-arms, +4 LSR axle, and a host of other goodies.

would anyone run it in a car

There are actually a few good octane boosters out there (no, I don't have any brand names to tell you), but most of them are just crap.

The ONLY time I would run octane booster is in an emergency. If you NEED higher octane because you're running high compression, but you can't get it, and the only way to get back home is to fill up with regular gas and octane booster. The octane booster will leave deposits and possibly gum things up, but it's much better than detonation.
    Duncan Racing 340PV, +2 A-arms, +4 LSR axle, and a host of other goodies.

in most cases you can make more power out of a lower octane because it burns faster, you only need high octane if your runnin over 11:1 compression. and the only reason id ever use it in a car is if it was high milage and packed with carbon just so it wouldnt "ping", otherwise dont waste the money.

11:1 is highest you want to go with 93 octane gas ON A 400ex! my 450r with 13:1 std bore and i run 93 in it and it runs like a champ. liquid cooled can have a higher compression ratio with lower octane gas. air cooled, the highest you want to go on pump gas in most applications is 11:1
    06 450r