Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2001 400ex $2800-worth it?

2001 400ex $2800-worth it?

Here's the deal. A buddy of mine is selling his 2001 400ex. It is red and has pretty low hours, as shortly after this quad was bought he bought a yellow 400ex and rode that one. To start, its in overall good condition. All it has is shock covers as far as mods(if you can even call those mods - aftermarket accessories I guess). It starts and runs just fine, no weird noises or anything like that. Now to the bad. The parking brake doesn't work. When you pull the lever it moves the cable in the back but doesn't engage. I don't know how big/expensive a problem like that is. Secondly, the front right tie rod is bent and the right front rim is bent as well. It is not bent enough to feel it on the trails, but on the road you can feel it. Lastly, the rear tires have about 25% life left. He wanted to get $3300 for it, but I offered him $2500. He said I could have it for $2800. Is it worth it seeing as it needs about $100(Prices that I looked up) worth of work? I am thinking I should just wait and keep looking seeing as he wants kind of a bit much? Thanks.
    1993 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS 2.0L N/T
    2001 Honda 400ex
    -Nanco Holeshots on the rear
    -Blue Shockwears all around
    -2000 Honda 400ex Heel Guards
    ***Soon to come***
    Pro Armor Nerf Bars w/Heel Guards
    Underbody and A-Arm Skid Plates
    ***Sold, but not forgotten***
    1974 Honda XL125 - '84 engine, dirt tires
    1989 Yamaha YZ125 - built for racing

doesnt sound like a bad deal. u can remove the parkin brake and get a parkin brake block off for like $10. Look on ebay or on this site when ppl part out there 400's u can usually find what u need for pretty cheap. You can also find some deals on here wit stock rim/tires for sale. Id say buy it and find all the stuff u need on this site cause im pretty sure u could.
    Dustin.

-1999 Honda 440ex-
    *SOLD* and missed some

-2005 Raptor 660-
    new project

just so u know, the parkin brake isnt meant to work...

good luck findin one that does
    Cody

99 416ex *sold*
    2008 Yfz 450

yea my praking brake stopped working after 2 trips to the dunes
    Rico Jr.'s #06
    Red 400 and FIddy R
    HRC kit
    AC PROPEGS
    ASV Clutch Perch
    Maier Numberplate and kill switch
    Unbolted Fenders
    Dropped a tooth in the front
    K&N W/ Red Outerwears
    Spider Grips- Red and Black

Yellow 04 400ex
    -Few Mods
    Rico Sr.'s
    Special Ed. 05 Banshee
    - few mods

So if it has low hours on it then why do the back tires only have 25% left, I think he used them doing burn outs, I think doing them a lot is not good on the motor, and the since you will have to replace them soon get him to go down on the price.
    2007 Harley Davidson Dyna Street Bob

To all the kids who hate school just remember when I come through the drive up window I want a #2 Super Sized with a Coke. Or paper not plastic

$2,800 for an 01? I'd say $2,600 and thats being generous.

Lets see as far as fixing the parts...
    Parking Brake-They never work anyway...they usually stick and wear your pads out anyway. Cheap block off is about 10 bucks and you probably find a cr250 perch and lever cheap to clean up the bars a little.

Tie Rods-9 bucks around here for one at the local parts store.

Rim-Probably find a good deal on ebay

Tires-Tires will run you about 40 bucks a tire. It good to change them. The stock ones are balloon anyway, so it would be best to replace them.

I guess $2,600 wouldn't be bad.
    But...the dealership is selling my friends 2004 440ex that has a Wiesco 440 big bore, full skids, nerfs, bars, rev box, full yoshimura pipe, maier race cut fenders, and a K&N filter for only $2,400. It has been "ridden" but it was in good shape.

-Justin
    -Justin
    YFZ450

98% of the teenage population will try, does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this into your signature.

yea u can get a parkin brake block off cheap, ur biggest thing would be tires. I would just buy some kenda klaws, they are good tires, and they wont put a hole in ur wallet. I think the rears run for about $45 a piece.
    Dustin.

-1999 Honda 440ex-
    *SOLD* and missed some

-2005 Raptor 660-
    new project

Alright thanks for the replies guys. I had been reading about the parking brake problem, and figured I would just get a block-off. I told him I would talk to him next Friday to see where I was at(money-wise), so I think I will try and get him to drop the price more. I know he is hurting for cash, because he is trying to sell his mustang as well to get a car he can drive year-round.
    2001 Honda 400ex
    ***Soon to come***

Ok guys update time! I talked to him Saturday and picked it up for $2800. He did replace the rears with ITP holeshots, so I'm happy. I rode it like seabiscuit before I bought it to make sure there wasn't anything else wrong with it. It has loads of power and it's awesome. I'm going ridding @ a buddy's house in about 30 mins. Thanks for all the help!

2001 Honda 400ex
    ***Soon to come***

looks good, have fun and start moddin it