Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: overheating problem need help!

Have you removed your keyswitch?

no I don't have it removed I am going to let it run for 13-15 min tomarow and see if it overheates and see if the fan comes on cause I let it idle for about 5-6 min and nothin happend and thats why I thought the fan wasn't workin. but I know for sure the the temp light isn't working becaue I was less than a mile in the race when it overheated and the light wasn't on then.

Does anyone know how to test a temp sensor, Its the little eletronic plug that screws into the thermostat housing. I watched 300racer, and his dad take the thing apart, and I wondered if the temp sensor was bad, that would keep the light from coming on, as well as the fan. ???Wouldnt it??? Or am i just dumb!

If so does anyone know how to test a temp sensor?
    05 Gt Thunder Trx490r
    WHITEHORSE RACING
    RISSLER EXTEREME ATV
    PRM, AXE racing, FASST bars, GPR, IMS-Roll, DID chains, HRC, JT sprockets, GT Thunder link, Hipers, Maxxis, Tire Balls, Custom Axis, LSR (stem,arms swinger carrier hubs), Axecalliber axil, QuadTech, T&T Racing, Spider, UNI, Pivot works, mxprographx,

WHITEHORSE RACING Trx416ex
    Razor 2's 23"-22"s,IMS tank,Galfer Steal Brake Lines,Denton Stabilizer,Herrmann +1 swingarm,Herrmann Racing Seat latch,Hotcams Stage one,Port and polish,Dynojets,Wesico,Tag Bars,PRM Bumper,PRM Skids,Rad carriers,Spyder grips,All Balls,LRD Exhaust,Green Frame,Stock Red Front Plastic,Gray Maier Rear Plastics ,Elkas Shocks Up Front,STocker Rear Shock,Blown elka rear in the shop!

Knox Racing 1987 trx250r (under construction)

here is a simple test for you to try. this will not tell you if the sensor is working but it will tell you if the fan motor is working. also i believe the warning light and fan motor are two different sensors. take the wire off the sensor directly in front of the engine. (i dont have my machine here at work) but it is easy to find. ** single wire plugged onto on sensor going into rad **

then make yourself a jumper wire so you can ground the wire. once you start the bike if this wire is grounded your fan should run constant. it is a quiet fan so you will have to feel the air move.
    if it does not run then your fan motor is shot. if it runs the fan motor is ok. once you know the motor works just let it idle long enough to get hot. now if it does not work plugged back onto the sensor after you get her nice and hot then the sensor is shot

hope that helps

we found out that the fan does work, But we ended up taking a 12v battery charger, and running it with it for a few seconds just to see if that was it. Thanks for the help!
    05 Gt Thunder Trx490r
    WHITEHORSE RACING
    RISSLER EXTEREME ATV
    PRM, AXE racing, FASST bars, GPR, IMS-Roll, DID chains, HRC, JT sprockets, GT Thunder link, Hipers, Maxxis, Tire Balls, Custom Axis, LSR (stem,arms swinger carrier hubs), Axecalliber axil, QuadTech, T&T Racing, Spider, UNI, Pivot works, mxprographx,

WHITEHORSE RACING Trx416ex
    Razor 2's 23"-22"s,IMS tank,Galfer Steal Brake Lines,Denton Stabilizer,Herrmann +1 swingarm,Herrmann Racing Seat latch,Hotcams Stage one,Port and polish,Dynojets,Wesico,Tag Bars,PRM Bumper,PRM Skids,Rad carriers,Spyder grips,All Balls,LRD Exhaust,Green Frame,Stock Red Front Plastic,Gray Maier Rear Plastics ,Elkas Shocks Up Front,STocker Rear Shock,Blown elka rear in the shop!

Knox Racing 1987 trx250r (under construction)

Do what hondaryder42 said to do and wire it up like that so the fan will run all the time thats what we did to my race bike and it never gets hot.
    Sponsors
    Tireballs,Fly,Scott,Klotz,Hiper wheels,Maxxis,HMF,Outerwears,Elka, IMS
    GNCC Pro am #79
    KTM

overheating

Did you check the hose that runs from the overflow to the radiator
    Had a similar problem and I thought it was overheating ,but it turned out that the hose had chaffed though by rubbing on the fan, and wouldn't leak at idle but would after awhile of riding (I guess from the vibration. Found it accidently when checking the bottle and I shook the hose.
    To test the switch or any temp activated you have to know its
    working temp. The switch will close providing ground for the particular circuit its in, This case the fan. You can check it two ways 1) With a volt /Ohm meter switch should have continuity to
    ground at its "Working Temp" 2)Or you can install a test light in series between the wire connector and the sensor run the bike and when "Working Temp" it reached test light will illuminate.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12