Thread: need help jetting with pilot 50

Unhappy need help jetting with pilot 50

i just cant get this thing to run corectly when i yank the throttle form eidle it stops or makes a backfireing noise ? wtf! here's my setup : curtis sparks ceramic exh uni filter no cams yet altitude is about 2600 ft. right now i have the 50 pilot, 180 main and the air screw is about 2.25 out, sparks needle third clip (std). the bike runs fine from idle to mid. If i rev the engine a bit and yank it it seems fine.

hope some one out there can help

thanks!

what kind of fuel are you running?

92 octane

I have the same setup except i have a stage 2 hotcam and i am running a 195. A 190 is recommended with the sparks pipe so i would bump it up.
    2004 trx450r
    - Fullflight +2 a-arms
    - Elka triple rate front shocks
    - Elka dual rate rear shock
    - Razr MX fronts and holeshot MXR6 rears all on Douglas .190 rims
    - UM rear wheel spacers
    - DG fat series nerf bars
    - K&N air filter and precharger
    - DG V-Pro front bumper
    - Elka shock covers
    - open air box
    - Sparks full exhaust
    - dyno jet kit
    - hot cam stage 2
    - wiseco 13.1:1 piston
    - SRP CDI box
    -Updog backgrounds

nope i know exactly what it is its your air filter either its dirty or its not getting enough air your bike should run with 170 to 200 main and 48 to 60 pilot its not enough air going into the carb just take the seat off take the air box lid off take the filter off then test it i bet it will run perfect

OMG

Take the mixture screw and turn it in until it lightly seats. Turn it out 1 turn. If this does not help, take out the 50! Put the 48 back in and turn it out to 2.5-3 turns. This is what you have to do, nothing else is the problem. Not gas, not your main, and unless the filter is caked with sand or mud...it's not that either. If you want to make the 50 pilot work, you must cut a few big holes in the airbow lid or take it off completely. An aftermarket filter may also be needed.

As far as the main goes, there is nothing you have described to help tune your main. If it seems fine until mid, then falls on it's face a little, or gags...go down on the main until it feels better. Try a 170 to start.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be too big of an ares. Just tying to keep it straight.
    TRX450R...Pulse Charger, 12.25 HH, HotCam S2, KW valves and springs, P&P, UNI filter, airbox outterwears, Woodward fuel screw, Denton stabilizer,ProArmor K/S, Elka Elite longtravel 17" w/dual linkage, Figair airbrushed hood, Holeshot fronts, Razr II's rears, AC Propeg nerfs, +1 1/2 stem, Armidillo skids.
    And a very well modded 03 warrior, engine, suspension, etc

Smile

thanks guy's for your kelp!

Iplayed with the mixture screw now i'ts about 2 turns out and im running a 188 main. The spark plug is perfect and the engine runs allot better.

i notice a big difrence when i start engine. it starts without the choke first shot everytime when the engine is cold !

will i have to re-jet it when i will get my stage 2 cam+valve job done?

thanks!