Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 400EX Cams: Which One and Why?

Hybrid View

400EX Cams: Which One and Why?

I am looking at putting a cam in my EX. I want to know what goes into putting one in and basically how you do it. Also, As soon as I need a ring job I am going to be doing a 416 motor, but that might be a year later. Will it be ok if I put in a cam now and then do a rebuild later? Or will I need to replace the cam when I do the rebuild? Will I lose any reliability? And What is the best performing cam on the market for the 400? I have herd good things about WEB cams and Sparks cams, not much on Hot Cams. How is the power increase? Compared to my HMF? I just basically need these questions answered to make my decision. Thanks for the help.
    '06 450ER

- Rossier Exhaust
    - Moose Foam Filter
    - HRC Needle
    - Skat Trak Haulers

Re: 400EX Cams: Which One and Why?

Originally posted by 04'400ex'er
    [B]I am looking at putting a cam in my EX. I want to know what goes into putting one in and basically how you do it. Also, As soon as I need a ring job I am going to be doing a 416 motor, but that might be a year later. Will it be ok if I put in a cam now and then do a rebuild later?
    yes it will be ok and then do a rebuild later

Or will I need to replace the cam when I do the rebuild?
    you can do it either way

Will I lose any reliability?
    no you shouldn't

And What is the best performing cam on the market for the 400?
    different strokes for different folks but I prefer hot cams.

I have herd good things about WEB cams and Sparks cams, not much on Hot Cams. How is the power increase?
    Everyone will give you personal preference and then there are some who will give you an opinion based on what they have heard not on what they have used. I have used the hot cams and sparks cams and the Stage 3 hotcams cam is almost identical to the Sparks cam. Both are wonderful cams, with the Sparks cam being a little bit more aggresive(few degrees) but not so much that you will notice unless you are running your bike hard.

Compared to my HMF?
    there is no comparision. the cam will put way more power down than any exhaust.
    Contemplating What To DO

Aim: JDMRexB16
    E-Mail:mx400@comcast.net

I just installed a stg 2 hotcam and a LRD full exaust and the combo rips!! I dont know about the other cams but the hotcam was easy to install and I plan on doing the same, a rebuild later this summer. right now I have a stock piston and I can tell a noticeable power gain with the full system and cam combo.
    03 Yellow EX
    Hotcam Stage 2
    K&N-mod air box
    White Bros CDI
    Renthal bars
    LRD Full System
    DynoJet Kit-165 main
    15/38 gearing
    air scoops
    AC aluminum front bumper
    AC racing nerf bars
    Works Triple Rates

I didn't know that hotcams made a stage 3 cam. I take it it is a hotter cam than the stage one and two? If the sparks cam is hotter than the stage 3 then I think i might go with that. Where is the power at on the cams? Is it most noticleable at mid-top power? I just want to get all my options down on the different cams on the market and which are the most powerful. Also, what is the average installation time on a cam?
    '06 450ER

- Rossier Exhaust
    - Moose Foam Filter
    - HRC Needle
    - Skat Trak Haulers

Web makes very good products. A friend of mine races dirtbikes professionaly in flattrack. When he dosent have his engine builder build him cams (some guy out of wisconsion) he runs Web. He said Hotcams are worthless, but are OK for a rec rider. For raceing they are just not up to parr with Web. I think if you get a cam, go all balls with it and get the most radical one or near atleast. JMO
    2006 White Suzuki LTR450 - Cherry Bomb - SOLD

97' BMW ///M3

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=360918

E-mail - fastandthefurious67(at)msn.com

cam

TC Racing makes a great cam for the 400ex- I've been running one for the past 3 years now- makes great power all through

i believe the new stage 3 is the old stage 2, and the stage 2 is a new grind. I have the stage 2 and i like it.
    01' Honda 400ex
    440 kit 11:1 piston
    Hotcams stage 2
    Port/Polish
    Uni Filter with airlid hole filters
    Elka triple rate front shocks
    Elka Rear Dual Rate Conversion
    DG nerfs
    HMF Full System w/ Blue can
    Tinner Scoops
    Terry cable throttle
    Powermadd Handguards
    Full Frame Guards
    Full Skid Plates
    Powder Coat Orange Frame/ Yellow plastic

yes you are correct. the old stage 2 is now called the stage 3 and hotcams has a new grind for stage 2 which is in between the old stage 2 and the old/current stage 1.

i totaly spaced TC's mx cam. That cam is great. I have never isntalled one or owned an engine w/ it installed but have ridden a few quads w/ his mx grind cam and it rips.

for my new race motor I will be goign Sparks mx or TC mx. I'm still waiting to get exact durations back from both Sparks and TC and then I will decide.
    Contemplating What To DO

Aim: JDMRexB16
    E-Mail:mx400@comcast.net

i run the TC mx cam and it does rip at midrange. i need more top end power though. my sparks pipe wants to rev well past the stock rev limit. the cam will go that far but it needs to go farther, i think. if sparks or tc tells you the lift and duration i would be surprised. if they do, i would love to know.
    2005 450r

*sold* 2001 400ex

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right."

"A leader will take you where you want to go. A great leader will not necessarily take you where you want to go but where you ought to be."

"If you want to do something, you will find a way; if you don't, you'll find and excuse!"

"Its not aptitude but attitude that determines your altitude."

I run the TC XC Cam and like it a lot also. I think the biggest thing you need to do, is ask yourself where you want more power.

Also I doubt TC or Sparks will give any #'s on their cams, if people figured them out they could just have Web make them.
    Thanks for the Support: Maier, Moto-Xperts, Rekluse, Teixeira Tech, Fox Racing Shox, BK Performance, DWT, Rath Racing, Quadtech, Streamline Brakes, Precision Racing Products, PowerMadd, Spider Grips, ASV Inventions, IMS Products, CV4, UNI.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast