Thread: What Carb will improve my Predator the most?

What Carb will improve my Predator the most?

Hi Guys,

I am looking to upgrade my carb on my 04 Predator. I am leaning towards the Edlebrock, but have been hearing some negatives about it. Also I have heard a little about the 450R Carb or possible sending my stock one to Nicholas Cycle. I mainly ride around 3000ft at Little Sahara, UT and Knolls, UT. I do plan on taking my bike into the mountains in the summer around 5000 to 6000ft for some trail riding. I was leaning toward the Edlebrock so I could easily adjust the carb for this. Mainly I want some more power and no headaches. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    2004 TLD Predator 500
    Yoshimura TRS Full Titanium System
    Vortex CDI
    Rath Intake with K&N
    Edlebrock Carb
    Trial Tec X Bars w/ Dash and Comp.

2004 Sportsman 500

2005 CRF450R

2000 Dyna Wide Glide
    Harley Davidson

I would send off the Carb to Doug, its a good mod and its ALOT cheaper than the edlebrock. Most common about the Ed. Carb is thumb throddle is KILLER on your thumb! Ive heard lots of good about the Honda Carb on it if you want to go that route Serivce Honda can hook you up one for a good price or I would check Ebay. I do not have a Ed Carb on our Preddy but I have one on my EX and I coudnt be more pleased!! THe Ed Carb is not always as easy as it sounds, I know of a few riders with that Carb and one ended up selling it . You will notice the Mod to the stock Carb and I think you will be happy with it .
    http://qjsimaging.com/

-2002 Duncan 440ex-
    Yoshimura full system,JE piston(12:1),Stage 2 Hot Cam,Port,polish, +3 Chrome Burgards AArms ,Elka Suspension -Triple rate front and Rear,GT Thunder Rev Box,,Pro Armour Nerfs,Burgard beadlock rears,Orange Fullbore,Chrome Tank cover,Candy Purple PC,Blingstar Dana Creech Bumper

2007 Suzuki LTR450
    FOX Shocks, JB Racing A-Arms, Silver Maier plastic, Quad Tech Seat Cover, BRM Offroad race numbers

2008 Raptor 250 BUILD IN PROGRESS!
    Thank you 2010 Sponsors
    and Contributers!!

Teixeira Tech,DWT, Fasstco Co., Maxima oils, Scott USA, Renthal, ODI, FLY Racing,Western Powersports, Promoto Billet, FOX Shocks,Maier Plastics,ODI,Rath Racing,ATV4-play
    ASV,Motoworks,QuadTech,Streamline,
    RockyMountain ATV,Powermadd,Les Schwab,QJ's Imaging

carb

Yeah I would send it off. Especially if you don't jump alot. The 450R or lectron carb are also good options for more response & power.

You mentioned... "If you don't jump a lot." I actually do jump quite a bit. Is there some reason certain carbs are not good for jumping?
    2004 TLD Predator 500
    Yoshimura TRS Full Titanium System
    Vortex CDI
    Rath Intake with K&N
    Edlebrock Carb
    Trial Tec X Bars w/ Dash and Comp.

2004 Sportsman 500

2005 CRF450R

2000 Dyna Wide Glide
    Harley Davidson

If you wanted one of the best carbs, you would want to get an FCR 41mm carb off a CRF 450 dirtbike. The set-up would run in the $500-600 range. I am not aware how the fit would be on the predator, but you would need to fabricate something for the intake manifold, or talk to some engine builders for solutions. A cheaper alternative is the Nicholas cycles carb mods (under $150) or the 450R carb through service Honda for $160 + jets + shipping.
    03 Predator
    03 LTZ400

i have the 450r carb on my bike now and LOVE it. after getting the jetting to where i need it this thing ripps! awsome throttle response yada yada yada worth the money to me, got everything i nedded for around 120. just have to shop around.
    mods, what mods...........just pipe and filter!