Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help!...Sport or Sport Utility atv?

Hybrid View

Question Help!...Sport or Sport Utility atv?

Hi All,

I have a dilemma...I want to puchase my first atv, and I'm torn between a sport (KFX 400) -vs- sport utility (Vinson 500 shift) atv. I want something FUN and somewhat sporty to ride. Not planning on doing any major utility work with it (snow plowing, ranch work, towing, etc.) and I'm not going to race it. I plan on trail riding only. I was all set to purchase the KFX, then spoke to a local trail riders organization president, and she strongly recommended a 4X4...she said she see's a lot of non 4X4's getting stuck where they ride. I'm assuming they must ride a lot of hilly/muddy areas.
    How many of you "trail riders" have any problems getting stuck with your KFX/Z's? Can more aggressive tires on the KFX help with muddy trail riding? Anyone have any experience riding both kinds of atv's...what would you recommend? I know a lot of you are going to ask - what kind of trail riding are you going to do?...but I'm not 100% sure what I'm going
    to find here in the Rochester, NY area for trails.
    Any advice would be welcome...I'd hate to make a $5-6K mistake!
    Thanks!

i dont have a z400 but i do trail ride on muddy/rutted conditions on a sport quad;250ex. I plan on buying a kfx once summer comes. i think it is one of the best trail quads around. the only thing you would probablly want to invest in is some 22 inch rear tires because it will give you and inch more clearance in the swinger for the muddy conditions. My uncle has a grizzley 660 auto and it is nice but it is just really big. i dont see why you would want to ride trails on a 600 pound beast. i say go for the KFX/Z.
    JAMES

2004 Black SE YFZ450 Fasst Flexx Bars | Namura High comp. piston | DID heavy duty cam chain | GYTR Kicker| SS brake lines| GYTR pipe & filter | DG fat nerfs | Full skid plates | AC Grab bar | 4 razr 2s on ITP rims| Gibson steering stabilizer | DOXO graphics | Pro Armor bumper | powermadds

2004 Yellow LTZ400 - White bros slip on | uni filter w/ outerwears & no lid | Fly ATV bars | denton steering stabilizer | Klaw Fronts & Knarly Rears | Works Shocks

1972 Kawasaki 100
    1993 Chevy S10 Pickup
    AIM Walls450

you could get a yamaha wolverine, which is the mix between sport and 4x4. Also, you could get the Polaris Scrambler 500 which is a sport 4x4.

I have seat time on the Z and on an Arctic Cat 500 4x4 manual shift (has the same engine as the Suzuki Vinson).

The Arctic Cat (AC) has a _very_ plush ride and TONS of torque. IMO, it is great for mudding and hillclimbing. It is really fun to ride when the going gets rough It has decent acceleration, but not like the Z. The AC is also a heavy beast that can feel like a handfull sometimes. Above 35-40mph (it has a speedometer), the AC feels like it could wander off easily to the left or right.

The suspension on the Z is NOT super plush, but it is not punishing either. It feels very stable at speed. The acceleration of the Z is brisk It doesn't move quite like a strong motorcycle, but it really gets a move on. The Z corners well, IMO.

Not getting stuck is largely a matter of riding skill. It takes seat time to learn how to approach each situation.

Granted, in some situations, no 2wd quad has much of a chance. Like in deep mud.

I am one of the "weight sensitive" quad riders. To me, a quad should be as motorcycle like as resonably possible. I gave up riding 2wheelers because I am trying to conserve what is left of my bad knees.

Most of the time, I prefer zipping around on my ex or my brother's Z to riding a heavy quad. I tend to wear myself out quickly on sport quads because they're just so much fun to ride fast on!

OTOH, The AC is great for "taking a break" from the sport quads.

Regardless what you get, go have fun with it. The only quad that's not fun is the one that never gets ridden, IMO.

HTH,
    cd

wolverine. plain and simple. its a mix of both worlds
    2001 blaster

problem solved just get a prairie 650 or 750 and you will blow most of the sport quads away and have fun doin it withits insane amounts of torque and hp the power is crazy

ya the power of a 700 praire is fast my friend has one with a penland exhaust and when i race that at the start with my stock 400ex i get smoked cause of that v twin but when it comes to long runs i can smoke it which the top speed of a praire is pruobly 65 to 70

I would get the rincon 650, if u ask me, or the king quad 700, they r some of the best utilities out there, even though the rincon dont go as fast as all of the rest, but it is powerful my nieghbors hasnt got stuck yet, and it throws mud like a devil! it is insane, but the 700 king quad would be good for you, or if u wanna geta sport, get a yfz, or a 450r, or the raptor, they r all nice quads, hope ya choose the right one, and the prarie, will get stuck easily, i beat my friends in the water easily with my 400ex, and he had it in 4 wheel drive, and his belt goes bad alot and loosens, and the 4wheele drive kicks in with out him even pushing the button, they have good suspension, but not to powerful, but everyone will probably disagree with me.

Why would he get such a big machine? He said hes not doin any work with it....just trail riding. It is the biggest waist of money to get a 650 or 700cc atv if he doesnt plan on using it the way they were intended to be used. Also, he said its his FIRST QUAD. Are you trying to make him kill himself? O well, just my opinion.

The kfx is a great trail bike. My neighbor has it and it rides really nice. And its not slow either. I would go for it. 4x4s are fun for rock climbing and mud bogging. If your looking to do that then go for that but I personally prefer the 2wd in the woods.
    04 450R -Red
    ----------------------------------------------
    HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks -razr front and rears AC belly skid, Pro Pegs, and stadium bumper. GT Thunder rear linkage and shock revalve. Air box lid removed 185 main jet, carbon bill ballance hmf full exhaust, hotcam stage2. +2 LT Jd Performance arms with LT Motowoz shocks RPM dominator axle

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast