Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Predator tld or a 450R, it's a tough one!

Originally posted by Braff1
    also all my rims and tires where the ******* size 4/156. hopefully now that Smiley is running on a Predator Polaris will offer a woods racer now. They are moving in the right direction but from my point it was just a little to late. maybe when the c=dale gets passed to my daughter I'll go back.
    True. I HATE the 4/156 with a passion. As you were, I'm STUCK with a 10" rim size for the rear. If it weren't for that I'd have a set of mx and xc tires right now.
    Thanks to my 2010 sponsors/supporters:
    CV4
    BNR Motorsports
    GT Thunder
    Spider Grips
    Scott USA
    Powermadd

"I can do all things through Christ Jesus who strengthens me"

Originally posted by Flynbryan19
    I can tell the weight difference when loading it in the truck, but I don't feel it when I'm riding it. Polaris gets a bad rap because for a long time they didn't make very good quality quads. The Predator has changed that stereo type, and I think now they're some of the best sport quads out there. I have to say I was really wanting a 450R for my next quad, but now for what the 05 TLD offers I have to say I'd buy another Pred over the 450R.
    That pretty much sums it up on the weight. It's a PITA loading in a truck by yourself, but you don't seem to notice it riding at all. A fellow member here and good friend has the R and we have covered all the same ground together. Both are awesome. We ride woods and trails, so not having an E start did make some situations tricky. I have an 03, so I don't have reverse either. Not a major deal, but it would be nice. The stock features for the 05 TLD can't be overlooked if you ride trails, woods, etc. E start, reverse, the suspension, braided lines, heavy duty axle, etc. Check out www.predatorowners.com to learn more.

I have an '04 and that I bought new in December of '03. I have never had a problem with it. I was tuff to wait for the '04 to come out but I new there would be some issues with the first year. Polaris has improved the Predator every year.

One of the recent mag's did a 12hr Torture Test (can't remember which one). The test was designed to test the quads during very aggressive trail riding and not track comparison. This test took into consideration rider fatigue and mechanical failures. The YFZ got 4th, Z400 3rd, Predator TLD 2nd, and TRX450 first.

The Predator just has too many things going for it to overlook it-extras versus the others and price.

I would definitely buy another. My only other consideration would be the TRX450 which I haven't ridden.
    '04 Predator, Pure Polaris slip-on w/ 12 discs, Switch between Sidewinder 13T or Stock 14T, Polaris 38T, WB CDI, Edelbrock Carb, CFM Airbox w/ K&N's, CFM Shrouds, CFM Coolers.

'03 300EX,FMF MegaMaxII,K&N w/Outerwear & lid removed,150main

'00 Sportsman 500,Warn Winch,Gun Scabbard,Cargo Box

'98 TrailBlazer,HPD Complete Pipe & Clutch,170 main, Pre-filter removed

Not here to run the Predator down. I bought a 04 450R withn HRC kit 3 weeks ago, went riding with a friend that has an 04 Predator. We switched bikes for awhile to see what the other was like. We both agreed that the 450r engine was alot snappier and felt more nimble. The Predator felt like a tank to me my 450r turns and is easier to throw around. The Predator power band was easier to ride it came on lower and easier to ride than my 450r and deosnt want to flip when on the throttle hard in lower gears. I cant keep the front end on the ground with my 450r when on the gas in 1st,2nd or 3rd gear. Hope this helps.

rie em both and get wich one u like most.

Yeah that's a pretty good idea, didn't think of that . Only problem is I don't live in Quad town USA and have unlimited access to 450R's and 05 TLD Predators.
    My stable....- 1986 Fourtrax 265R PV -2005 416EX, 2007 Suzuki Z400- 2004 SUBARU WRX STI- 8 bit Nintendo Top loader, one American Bulldog

Do you know anyone around you that have either of the quads? The dealers wont let you try one out?

I have a 2004 Pred LT for my self & a YFZ450 for my wife.
    I did a lot of research a rode different quads.

This is my conclusion
    Things I Liked about the TRX450R:
    1- Its a Honda
    2- Loved the power
    3-Loved the way I sit in it- ergonomics of the bike

Things I did not like:
    1-The suspension
    2-Width- Need to be a little wider
    3-Length- Need a little longer swing-arm

Things I liked about the YFZ450
    1-Width-OK
    2-Length
    3-The power

Things I did not like:
    1-I do not like the way I fit on the bike. I think the ergonomics for me is way off.

The polaris seem to have every thing I was looking for. Wider, Longer, Nice suspension. This bike just seem to fit me. Know this is my opinion ( My conclusion)

Just to let you know I am 6'2'' 220lbs & I do a lot of dune riding.
    I was looking for a quad that fit my application. The TRX450R is a great quad & so is the YFZ450. You just got to ride them and find one that fits you and your application. It does not matter how much power a quad has, what matters is how comfortable you feel on the quad.
    1-2004 Pred 500
    1-2005 YFZ4501-2002
    1-2002 TRX90
    1-1986 TRX70

“We make a living by what we get; we make a life by what we give.”
    Winston Churchill

i aslo will be buying a 450R for my son, but not until i see a button on that thing.

I rode both i own the 450r and I can say the same as someone else said. The 450r feels more nimble to me. Depending on whether your going to mod the bike or not I dont plan on keeping stock travel for my suspension. Also I raced a troy lee pred with a hmf pipe and jetted with my STOCK 450r. I beat him everytime.
    04 450R -Red
    ----------------------------------------------
    HiPer carbon fiber beadlocks -razr front and rears AC belly skid, Pro Pegs, and stadium bumper. GT Thunder rear linkage and shock revalve. Air box lid removed 185 main jet, carbon bill ballance hmf full exhaust, hotcam stage2. +2 LT Jd Performance arms with LT Motowoz shocks RPM dominator axle

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast