Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Predator tld or a 450R, it's a tough one!

Predator tld or a 450R, it's a tough one!

Well I'm getting a new quad soon, as soon as my income tax return comes in, so I can throw some cash down. And I've had my mind made up on a 450R for quite a bit...untill I saw that nice bright orange pred sitting next to it on the show room floor. Now all of a sudden reverse and electric start are looking good and I think it's less expensive. The new colors are refreshing too.
    I sat on a pedator when they first came out and didn't care for the ergos at all. But I think I recall an issue of ATV Sport saying they have improved the sitting position?
    And I like the fact that the tld pred is geared lower(I ride tight woods). I'm just a bit sketched because I know you can't go wrong with a Honda, but the Predator seems like a good deal for what you get.
    It's to bad they won't really let me test them both out, besides putting around in a parking lot. But it seems Predators don't get much love for some reason? Are they rattle traps?, the weight can't be that big of a deal withe the extra 50cc's can it? Anybody stuck in the same boat as me?
    My stable....- 1986 Fourtrax 265R PV -2005 416EX, 2007 Suzuki Z400- 2004 SUBARU WRX STI- 8 bit Nintendo Top loader, one American Bulldog

I can tell the weight difference when loading it in the truck, but I don't feel it when I'm riding it. Polaris gets a bad rap because for a long time they didn't make very good quality quads. The Predator has changed that stereo type, and I think now they're some of the best sport quads out there. I have to say I was really wanting a 450R for my next quad, but now for what the 05 TLD offers I have to say I'd buy another Pred over the 450R.
    Thanks to my 2010 sponsors/supporters:
    CV4
    BNR Motorsports
    GT Thunder
    Spider Grips
    Scott USA
    Powermadd

"I can do all things through Christ Jesus who strengthens me"

yep, i have to agree with bryan, i have an 03, notorious for problems, but polaris worked through it, replacing parts long after my 6 month warranty. i have heard nothing but good from 04 and later owners, and these motors have soooo much potential. very few trx's will be able to touch my pred after i get my motor back, and stock for stock, i was never beat
    "You say that I sin, You say I'm bound for hell, but once your judgement condemns you, I shall see you there."

----Georgia Southern University
    -Logistics & Intermodal Trans.
    Sinkhole Customs(choppers and 4X4)-mechanic/fabricator

sinkholecustoms.com

-Bronze level Honda technician

I have a 05 troy lee, its very nice and much faster than my 03 pred. i draged both and my tle was stock and my 03 had jets muffler and um air box and they where even, but the hondas are nice but the 05 tle is very sweet.

Weight isn't as big as some make it out to be. ATV Sport just did a shooutout between the 450R, YFZ, TLD Pred and the ATK450vr. They weighed them wet. Well in dry form the Pred weighes 65lbs more then the rest, yet in wet for it was way closer. The 450R came in at 404lbs wet and the Pred came in at 441lbs. That 65lbs dry went way down to 37lbs wet.So either the dry weight of the Pred is less then what is said or the 450R is heavier then said. The 450R isn't going to have 54lbs of fluid while the Pred only has 26lbs.

Who won the shoot out (besides the YFZ )? Is this in a new issue thats out now?
    My stable....- 1986 Fourtrax 265R PV -2005 416EX, 2007 Suzuki Z400- 2004 SUBARU WRX STI- 8 bit Nintendo Top loader, one American Bulldog

Originally posted by Bender
    Who won the shoot out (besides the YFZ )? Is this in a new issue thats out now?
    The 450R won, but this was setup more as a XC quad shootout, and I would agree that the majority would find the R to be the best XC quad. But, I guess the Pred is starting to gain more respect in the magazine world. (not that it really matters what the rags think of it )
    CV4
    BNR Motorsports
    GT Thunder
    Spider Grips
    Scott USA
    Powermadd

The wt issue between Polaris and others is ofter misleading. Take into cosidereation here. Polaris uses a heavy duty axle, lifetime warranty against bending= none of the other don't have that. Polaris comes with long travel a-arms and shocks. Add your triple rate springs and if needed rezzies and you got a good set up. The others offer standard travel but now have rezzies. The rear polaris shock is a long travel also with a ssd spring. This is why Polaris will wheelie but you have to really work at it. Others, can't keep the fronts down in stock form. Motor wise the Predator cranks out a good amount of useable power.

Now u are prolly wondering why I got rid of mine? It is just too wide. There are only minor fixes to narrow it up. 47.5 is too wide when racing xc. After hitting too many trees tearing up my wrist I just moved on to something more narrow adn suited to my needs. Truth be known if I had a chance to get another I would. I loved the ride adn the power.
    2003 Predator, Hiper rims, Kenda tires, PRM protection, Renthal bars with Spider Grips, Fox TRS w/rezzies, much more to come.

1999 400 EX Hot cams stage , K&N filter, air box modw/outerwears, ,14 T front sprocket, Pro Circuit T-4, Works Triple rate w/o rezz, coustom made skid plate and a-arm gaurds. PRM bumper
    MSN: Braff1@bellsouth.net
    AIM: Braff51
    "QUAD HATERS SUCK"

"Don't make me put this 400 in Reverse to come back there and smack you"

Remember too, if your interested in spending the money that Rath Racing makes rear hubs that are supposed to bring the pred down to 46". Which I know for a fact is the same width that a stock Z has.

Braff1 and I both just couldn't come up with the extra money to try them out.
    CV4
    BNR Motorsports
    GT Thunder
    Spider Grips
    Scott USA
    Powermadd

also all my rims and tires where the ******* size 4/156. hopefully now that Smiley is running on a Predator Polaris will offer a woods racer now. They are moving in the right direction but from my point it was just a little to late. maybe when the c=dale gets passed to my daughter I'll go back.
    2003 Predator, Hiper rims, Kenda tires, PRM protection, Renthal bars with Spider Grips, Fox TRS w/rezzies, much more to come.

1999 400 EX Hot cams stage , K&N filter, air box modw/outerwears, ,14 T front sprocket, Pro Circuit T-4, Works Triple rate w/o rezz, coustom made skid plate and a-arm gaurds. PRM bumper
    MSN: Braff1@bellsouth.net
    AIM: Braff51
    "QUAD HATERS SUCK"

"Don't make me put this 400 in Reverse to come back there and smack you"

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast