Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ken Robey, what happen at Texas

Ken Robey, what happen at Texas

How did your King Quad do? I raced the KQ at Powerline Park last year, and just wondering how you feel about the KQ.

from the results something must have happened. its not to often hes listed in last.

Texas

Well, here is the recap. Mod. and stock started on the line together, where my start was horrible because of the fuel injection system of the KQ. I was probably in about 10th place when we hit the woods. Started making my way through the woods and had some difficulty in tight spots because I widened it out a little. Nothing I can't get used too though. By the end of the first lap I was knocking on Penland's door. when I came by my pit about 200 yds. passed the finish, I was drafting off of him. We hit three quick turns and I boxed him out on a corner and got around him. The quad had plenty of top end to pull away from him. I entered the woods and couldn't even see him behind me before long. Just up ahead through the trees and rocks I caught a glimpse of 1st place. at one point I was doing 68MPH acrossed one of the flats to catch him. I went down in the woods and came down into a small creek bed, popped it into 4-wheel for the muddy hill in front of me and the right tire, turned outward. The inner tie rod on the steering broke completely in half, I couldn't believe it. I knew they were weak, but c'mon. I didn't even clip a tree or anything during the race. Penland had a big ole smile though we he came by about 45 secs later.
    The KQ performed excellent though, I really adapted to it pretty well. The top end of it runs really strong. Trying to figure out what I am going to do though. Have to use stock parts and I am not to comfortable with putting it back together with it doing that in the first 16 miles of the race. Might have to switch to mod. if they won't let use other parts though. If any ideas, please let me know. This is the only weak part on the quad. Ken
    2001-2004 Student of the Arts
    2005 GNCC Utility Stock Champion
    2006 Factory Arctic Cat
    2007 PQR Racing/High Energy Kymco Member
    2008 Kymco Factory Race Team
    2009 High Energy Racing-Can Am 800R
    2010 Can AM X Team

Why can't you use aftermarket tie rods. I don't remember seeing anything about that. It just says we can't add anything to improve it performance.

tie rods

I know what you mean, right now I am arguing the rules with GNCC and also have Doug Morris, the president of the ATVA in it also. They are telling me that I have to run Suzuki stock parts on the tie rods. will let you know what I find out, but if I were you, I wouldn't beat the ones you have too hard. This tie rod broke in half and the quad has only 117 miles on it. Yes, I do put it too the extremes, but my prairie was bought in June of 2003, and it still has the original tie rods and ends to this day. will let you know what I find out.
    2006 Factory Arctic Cat
    2010 Can AM X Team

Well GNCC should start looking at other stock quads. They should list whats aloud and what is not. The way they have it written up leaves to much gray area. So people will push as much as they can get away with and if no one checks they push more. I know how fast stock quads are, and there are some that are just way faster, yet nobody says anything. Clutch kits, cdi moduls and rev boxes are on some stock quads, is that right. Yet they worry about tie rods, gimmie a break.

Also, people in the stock class can put $1000 tire balls in and you can't change a $50 tie rod.

tie rods

Man, you hit it on the head, I am dealin with it all right now. will keep you briefed on the outcome. It isn't looking good though
    2006 Factory Arctic Cat
    2010 Can AM X Team

raw deal

Just wanted to say GOOD LUCK! I feel that a stock quad is a quad you buy from the dealer. There is a lot of people out there running parts that give them an advantage. You mite try looking at the safety side of your argument, if a part is not strong enough it could break and hurt you and other riders. SAFETY is always the first thing on everyones mind They are worried about sound, they should be worried about weak stock parts. just my $.02
    Jason

Ken, I am in your court on this issue. I contacted Racer Production today and explained why a Tie-rod is no different than an aftermarket axle. The stock tie-rods are extremely week on the Suzuki machines and an aftermarket replacement is not a performance enhancment.

The stock class is suppose to allow racers to compete without spending loads of money on their machine and keep it as close to stock as possible. A Tie-rod is not an expensive item, so why shouldn't it be allowed to be changed as long as it is the same length as stock? It doesn't add any performance and only durability.

The are going to meet on the issue today if all goes well, and I felt positive about the conversation that I had with them for you Ken.
    Click Here --->ATVriders.com Hoodies, Shirts, and Stickers Available Online <---

Please Support Our Site Sponsors!
    Mud Motorsports, BCS Performance, ITP, Maxxis, Tire Balls, Douglas Wheels, Burgard Cycle, T&T Racing, DASA, GBC Motorsports, HMF Engineering, Motoworks, ELKA, FOX

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast