Thread: Adjusting Valves

Adjusting Valves

I was reading in the tech section on how to adjust your own valves. But I have one question. What size of wrench do I need to remove the valve adjustment caps?

I used a cresent wrench, but I seen in a post in the Open forum that a guy said a 15/16 end wrench will work.
    2001 400ex, Pro Circuit T-4, AC Racing Pro Pegs, Renthal Bars, Trail tech speedo w/ billet mount, Pro Armor Skid plates

2003 Harley Davidson Fatboy - the perfect fusion of chrome and leather!!!

Magnum Photos

Arrow

Yeah I used a crescent wrench also. I was very surprised how loose the covers were when I removed them. I would guess it's a metric socket size though.
    '00 Budweiser 420SS, XR cam, JE 10.8:1 416 piston, FMF 4Q with Powerbong , AC Pro Pegs, skid & bumper, UniFilter, 6 airbox vents, 42 pilot; 165 main; clip 4 down, chokeless, stock fuel screw position (= 2 1/4 turns out), hydraulic clutch

the correct size is 24 mm.but you can get away w/ a 15/16 im sure.

Someone also said the bike should be warm? Does anyone know if this is true?

The service manual recommends that the engine be cold when adjusting the valves.
    2001 400ex, Pro Circuit T-4, AC Racing Pro Pegs, Renthal Bars, Trail tech speedo w/ billet mount, Pro Armor Skid plates

Magnum Photos

Don't overtighten the valve caps, they will break apart.
    I did this on a XR350 once.
    John

Ok, I took it all apart, lined up the 'T' and checked everything out. The valves did not need any adjustment. I loosened one and adjusted it in and out a little to get the feel of making changes, but ended up putting it right back where it started.

Is it normal to not have to adjust the valves any? I was expecting to have to make some adjustment. This is the first time the valves have been checked, the bike is 4 months old, and I ride alot.

I want to thank the person who took the time to write up the directions on adjusting the valves.

Jabber Jaw

I just checked and adjusted my valves after approximately 50 hours of use. I only had to adjust 3 of the 4 valves and the adjustment was VERY small. I woundn't worry about having not to adjust the valves. I would be very worried if they were way off after this much riding.

Magnum Photos