Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paddle Tires...

Paddle Tires...

OK i just got my new 2002 400ex and the g/f got her 02 300ex...still deciding on what paddles to get for pismo. Whats the pros and cons of str8 paddles and v shaped paddles..thanks...
    Brian

Also what size for the 400 and the 300...
    2002 400ex and a 2003 xr50

Short answer....

Straight paddles: Better for hills, drags.
    V-paddles: Better for cornering, sliding.

Both will work fine in either situation. But there is a noticable difference.

Joe
    ATVRiders Janitorial Technician

!!!!!DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!!!!!!

WHICHEVER YOU DECIDE ON STRAIGHT OR V PADDLE SPEND THE EXTRA MONEY AND GO WITH SCAT TRACK TIRES THEY HAVE THE BEST TRACTION OF ANY TIRE THE 9 PADDLE WORKS WELL ON THE EX I MADE THE MISTAKE OF NOT BUYING THEM I RUN V-SANDSHARKS ON ONE OF MINE SAND DEVILS ON ANOTHER AND PADDLE MASTERS ON MY WIFES NONE OF THEM HAVE THE BITE OF MY FREINDS 9-PADDLE SCAT TRACK HAULERS, JUST TRYING TO HELP!!LOL:devil
    "YOUR NOT REALLY HURT UNLESS THE BONE SHOWS"!!

440-ex throwed the parts book at it!!
    500 polaris duse -28" mudzillas
    500 scrambler 4x4 many mods.
    90 polaris scrambler (killer kids atv)!
    90 e-ton viper
    250r three wheeler with a GSX-R 1100 motor in it (my sand dragon )
    1970 plymouth CUDA'

"killercuda" on the mopar sites come chat at moparts with me!!

paddles...

We also have a 400ex,and a 300ex, and were wanting to know what to buy..depending on what and where you are riding(a lot depends on the type of sand too),I was told for our quads not to waist our time with v paddles. That TOTALLY surprised me!!SO...,I did try a pair of v paddles on my 300, and boy, was I dissapointed,it hardly made a difference.Now, on the 400ex, they were ok.(still not great though).If you are doing any climbing, you may want to try a new tire that is out(highly reccomened from an Atv outfit out of St .Anthonys Idaho)its called a turbo paddle, and i guess it has been a big hit at St. Anthonys,so I ordered them for the 300ex.These are simular to the hauler tire.Skat Trak is too pricey, and maybe try the Kenda in a 20x12x9 v paddle if you are dead set on a v paddle.I would also go with the ITP for the rims.A lot is a persons preference,and the type of riding you are doing.Let me know what you end up with? good luck!

im so damn confused now..i have no idea where to start...with a st8 paddle can you still pitch it sideways w/o a problem....please help..thanks and does rim thickness really matter im not gonna be jumpin my quad like i do my motox...until i get used to it...should i say screw and just get the .190's.
    Thanks brian
    2002 400ex and a 2003 xr50

Sand is soft to jump in so I would just get the .125, or if you are worried get the .160. The .190 are a little much for sand IMO. I definatly would get the Skat Trak if you have the money. I have no prob slidding the back end around. I think it also helps to put on a 14t sprocket when you are in sand.
    2001 416EX with Sparks X-6, FCR 39mm, ELKA Triple rates with cans, Burgard +3+1 A-Arms, Elka Linkage with Custom Axis Rear shock, Denton Steering Stabilizer, WISECO 87mm 11:1 with Hotcams Stage II, FDO Heavy Duty Head Studs, WB Rev Box, K&N Air Filter, Cascade Parking Brake Blockoff, AC racing Pro Peg nerfs, Renthal Sprockets, Renthal bars, DG bumper, DG Swing arm Skid, RPM 2+2 axle, speed locknut, Magura Jack Hydraulic Clutch

1988 TRX350R ported by NRPD, ESR TRX5, PWK 38mm A/S, Gibson Long Travel A-Arms, Elka Quad Rate longtravels, Laeger Swinger, ESR reed block

2007 CBR1000RR, Akrapovic Full Race, Comp Werks FE, DynoJet PCIII, ShoGun Sliders

Most people can not pitch sideways with straight paddles.
    If you really want to pitch sideways in the sand you should go with the Gecko!
    The Gecko design makes total sense. I'm surprised no one thought of it before.

Shane

for the 300ex I'd recomend dune hoppers 22". they're straight paddles. I get way more traction than my buddy on his warrior with angles. I can out climb him any day. but, he can turn on a dime.
    since the 300ex is underpowered for the dunes, go with the straights. you wont be disappointed!
    I have not tryed the geckos.
    I got the dune tracker fronts to help with steering. they do help a lot.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by skull; 05-02-2002 at 04:25 AM.
    Dan C
    I have 3 german shepards.

1Pet. 3:15

O yeah,
    I got 'em at rockymountainatv.com, they gave me a super deal.

rims...

Breyon55~~When it comes to rims,all you should need is a .125 for the sand, regardless if your jumping or not.Since the sand is soft, the .125 is just fine,if you feel compelled, go with the .160 but, not the.190,way too much for your needs.Go with the ITP rim too.As far as the 300ex goes, you wont be able to get good turning and climbing with any tire.Its kinda a pick and choose,climbing or turning. Your best bet is to stay with a straight paddle on the 300,and the 400 you can go with either.If the dunes arent too steep,you could do the v paddle.Skull is right when it comes to the 300,it lacks power ,so stay with the straight paddle.Oh, I have heard good and bad about the gecko tire, you might want to see how it does on the EX.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast