Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Clutchless shifting?

Clutchless shifting?

Ok I just bought my first quad and surprise it is a 400ex. I noticed that I don't have to use the clutch to shift. Is this bad for it does it hurt anything. I have a class A license and I drive a diesel truck to and from the job site and I don't use the clutch on those. So I was wondering what is the deal?

just let off the throttle when shifting clutchless and everything's fine. fully syncronised.

You should be OK. I ride down in Baja and the only time I use the clutch is when I take off the rest of the time I go clutchless

home town, Poland NY College, Blairsville PA
    You won't hurt anything as long as you use the clutch when you take off, and when you down shift. I heard it can harm the transmission in both those situations.
    Andy

WyoTech....

AIM; District3250rMX
    Yahoo; Gone_Snowboarding06

Obviously when you take off use the clutch...and I use it when downshifting unless the RPMs are way down. When upshifting, it is possible to shift clutchless without even letting off on the EX...I did it for a long time. I started shifting, WFO, by flipping the clutch lever and clickin the shifter at the same time, and not letting off...I consistently kick peoples butts with faster bikes using that technique...it might be hard on stuff, but I didnt have any trouble with it. These shift alot easier than a truck does...and those aren't hard. You are definitely not hurting anything. Just make sure you shift it firmly-going between gears is NOT a good thing.
    (C) A HARD-ARSE PRODUCTION
    Hardarse Clan>Admin>Joo

YXZ1000R

LED Performance JRD Narrow Puma 434

It always shifts easy going up, but going down always seemed a little harder so I use the clutch downshifting as well.

Isn't "clutchless shifting" also called Speed shifting?
    2004 Honda 400EX
    AC Nerfs
    HMF Pipe

i'm not so sure about that. my buddy races FT on his 465ex, and he's went through TWO new tranny's in about two years, and he only uses the clutch on take-offs. i know i sure wouldn't do it, but wtf, it's ur bike. also, i may be mistaken, but speed shifting is where you don't let off the throttle when you shift. i'm pretty sure about this b/c i heard on the rekluse, you have to let off b/t shifts.
    2005 YAMAHA YFZ450
    +2 HOUSER aarms and steering stem flag, Elka front shocks, LSR axle, Dr. D slip-on, cam mod, AC nerfs and bumper, pro-design kill switch, Pro-Taper bars, One Industries graphics kit, pro-design case saver, PEP chain roller relocator, ebrake blockoff, Zip-ty fuel screw, carbon fiber brake rezzy relocator, 400ex throttle, a lil pc'ing and polishing

rear shock rebuild soon

172main, 48pilot, 35 leak, 6th position on stock needle, 2.5 turns out, and a brown spark plug!!

"power shifting" is when the jap bikes are on one wheel goin through the gears
    2004 400ex
    HMF slip/on
    Uni air filter
    DG v-pro bumper

My friends bike seized up due to clutchless shifting
    2002 400ex
    Lonestar Parking brake block off
    K&N Airfilter w/outer wear
    K&N Oil Filter
    Renthal Bars,Renthal Grips
    PRM .125 A-ARM and Full Chasis Skids
    PRM .190 Swing arm Skid